Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past May I bought a used Glenfield 60 from my local pawn shop for $40 OTD.I have been cleaning it up, and the results are as follows:

1. Stock had been varnished with what seemed to be a roofing brush! To save time, the previous owner left the action in the stock, resulting in a nice varnish patina on the action and barrel. I stripped the old varnish off, sanded, and finished with two coats of Minwax Polyshades finish in a pecan shade. The pressed-in squirrel and leaf pattern was stained with dark walnut before applying the Polyshades.

2. The rear sight was broken off (the notch piece). Since the front sight was a ramp type like my 25MN, I installed a spare Williams type rear sight from my 25MN that I had left over.

3. Receiver had some scratches, and barrel had surface rust. Several applications of PB Blaster and 0000 steel wool fixed this. Barrel and mag tube were given several coats of Oxpho-Blue.

4. Receiver was somewhat scratched. I touched up the scratches with a paint pen temporarily. Aluma-Hide II is in the future.

5. I made a buttplate spacer from 1/8" white fiberglass sheeting, recontoured the stock to fit the buttplate better, and installed sling swivels front and rear.

6. Also, I removed the trigger group and bolt and gave them a good scrubbing. Barrel and receiver cleaned also.

I am planning to take the Squirrel Nut Zipper with me this Saturday when I take my college firearms class students to the range. I will let ya'll know how it shoots. If it does okay, I plan to relieve the receiver at the bolt face and drill two 1/8" holes opposite the ejection port. Woish me luck.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
What are the two 1/8" holes for?

XFILES said:
I plan to relieve the receiver at the bolt face and drill two 1/8" holes opposite the ejection port. Woish me luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1/8" Holes

The 1/8" holes would be to allow some of the gas / burnt powder to escape from the left side of the receiver, to reduce powder fouling and cleanup. Relieving the ejection port almost down to the breachface helps do the same thing. Supposedly, this will help eliminate/reduce jamming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.