Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a successful saturday of killing squirrels. I got 5 of them with my 12 guage using #6's. Where i am at there is still a little to much brush for me to like using the .22 yet, even though i did get one earlier using my cz 452 and wichester wildcat ammo. Boy do i love this season. Now that i got a few in the pot, maybe i'll go back to the challenge of the .22, but there is a charm to the bang of the 12 guage. How are the rest of you squirrel slayers doing this season. (btw i am in PA).

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Went out strickly squirrel hunting once this year. Took two for two. One with a head shot at well over 50yards. 22lr.

Small Game vs. Big Game

And the winner is. Yea I also bow hunt.

Its kinda like when people ask me if I have been fishing.
When there is time to fish there is time to shoot something. And I like to shoot something alot more than fishing. Only time this changes is when it is the dead of winter and everyone is in the fishhouses. Out on the lake. Gotta love that.

Dean_311

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sharkman8810 Welcome!!!

Nothing like a good squirrel hunt.
An you can have it your way.
Good eaten too.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ah Ron,

Its been in the teens alot of nights here. The mosquitos are slowing down a little. Bwahahahah..
JK
Dean_311

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went out with the .410 last thursday and got 3 squirrels with #4 shot. I am going out this saturday with the 12ga and #6 shot. Just out of curiosity, what choke to you have in the 12ga for hunting squirrels. I was planning on using the improved cylinder. What do you guys and gals think?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
squirrel choke

Thats a good question. I am not very familiar with shotguns and chokes ( i do know it is the thing that screws in the end of the barrel and it determins the diameter of the pattern). The one that is in my 12 guage says modified. I was also using #6 and what i am going to use. I was gonna go down to #4, but k-mart didnt have any, and the sporting goods store on the way home wanted about $10 a box for it. So i bought #6 at kmart for $3.60 a box.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I personly might be tempted to use full choke for squirrels just to have a little extra range to reach up into the tree tops. If you do that though you have to remember at close range to shoot for the tip of there nose or you will have instant squirrel hamburger. :D :D. Using a more open choke would be safe over all but I like the little bit of extra range I get with a full choke. Modified or improved modified would probably work well.

mcb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hunt them with a shotgun a lot. A .22 is not allowed on some of the areas I hunt. I like the modified choke in my 12ga with #6. #4's are to big IMHO. I usually use a SxS 20ga. one modified one imp. cyl. Beside my old Win mod 77, that 20 is my favorite squirrel gun. I have an old bolt action .410 but have never really liked that round.

I went 2 weeks ago and got 5, 3 grey and 2 fox. The fox's are going to need to be cooked for a while they were big and old, gonna be tough.

The day after Thanksgiving I am taking my little brother, he is 11 I am 30, and his friend on thier first squirrel hunt. They both passed thier Hunter Safty course and that was the deal. They will both be carrying 20ga shotguns. I'm just going to help. Although I'll probably carry my .22. Just in case one of the big reds decides to charge them:D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
squirrel'n

I am gonna go squirrel hunting while the little lady makes some supper tonight(home made lasagna). I'll take the 12 guage (remington 870 express) tonight yet, as there is still to much foliage for me to see the squirrels in my area the way i like too. By the time i run out of this box of ammo, it should be time for me to pull out the cz 452 to go after them. I am just starting to recognize the versatilityof the 12 guage. It is easier to get squirrels with a 12 guage, and i am a little over halfway there to have enough for a batch of pot pie. Need about 5 more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tn. is haveing the best season I can remember. The population is booming. I also like a shotgun early when the leaves are still on. The leaves just dont want to fall this year it is nov 19th and the leaves are only half gone. I cant wait to pop a .22 at them. I have taken a few with a 22 but I had to let so many go cause I couldnt see them good. Duck season opens sat. PRAISE JESUS FOR FALL SQUIRREL SEASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BB

·
Registered
188 Posts
Squirrels are my farorite animals to hunt bar none. I did three projects rim fire guns just to use on them this year. They consist of a ticked out 10/22, a CZ 452 Style and a Savage 93 17HMR. I hunt mostly in my pecan grove at the side of the house. Have a bit over 10 acers of pecan trees and the squirrels just love those nuts. They a butterball fat. I have been able to use all thgree guns one them so far this season. The family will have out annual Thanksgiving afternoon hunt this year. All three of my children, their wives/housemate and my 14 year granddaughter. We always have a squirrel gumbo supper the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Since none of the wives/housemate has guns of their I'll loan out my three long guns and I'll use my scoped Contender. My granddaughter wants to be back up this year so she wants to and will carry my Red Label 28ga. This will be the first year that all of us will hunt. The grandmothers have agreed to baby sit while the mothers hunt.:D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Good year for squirrels. I hope to take my daughter early next week. My hours just don't geve me much of a chance to take her out. She's very excited about deer season. But there is not much more fun to be ahd than runnin' ole bushy tail around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried the .17 on squirrel and found it to be a bit to much gun unless you hit themin the head and have no desire for brains and eggs. Would't dream of using a shotgun that would take all the fun out if it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
squirrel hunter said:
I tried the .17 on squirrel and found it to be a bit to much gun unless you hit themin the head and have no desire for brains and eggs. Would't dream of using a shotgun that would take all the fun out if it.
Hmmm well, I saw what .17 did to a Grey squirrel taken right through the chest. Or more like I didnt see a whole lot.

And I do have to agree a shotgun is taking all the fun out of it.

Rabbits its takes most the fun out of it to.

Dean_311

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have killed 6 Squirrels this year

five of them with the 17HMR.All but
one was a head shot.
Lots of fun hunting with it and plan
to do some more as soon as deer season
is over with and the woods quiten down.
The 17HMR will be a good choice for
late season squirrel hunting where the
shots are long and the squirrels are
spookey.
In the ones I have shot with the 17 there was no more damage than with
a HV LR HP. Course if you get a body
shot there will be more damage.

Shotguns a very effective squirrel
guns,but that shot in the meat can
send you to the dentist for a new
filling or crown. :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
13 squirrels yesterday morning, 11 rabbits and 1 pheasant this morning between three of us. seen a coyote with a gimp leg running through a farm field and tried chasing him down. he was just out of range of my shotgun. i was kicking myself for not having my .22 with me. hunting has been pretty good this week. good pheasant population here, we jumped over a dozen hens today, but only 2 roosters. one rooster in the bag, one flushed out of range.
five of the squirrels we took out of one giant oak.
:D

i have pictures to prove it ;)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Now that is some good Hunting.

And good eating too.:)

Always like to read good hunt'in
tails.
Nothing like a mixed bag to make your
day.

PS Welcome to RFC

·
Registered
62 Posts
good hunting days are great. im still grinning from ear to ear. its rare we have harvests like that, especially considering we dont use dogs. now if we could only get the women to help clean the catch. :(
they love to eat it, but hate to clean it. i guess that isnt so bad, as long as they like eating it they wont complain about us spending all our time hunting. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.