Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone here hunted gray squirrels with an HMR?

Monday was my first time out with my new HMR and I shot 2 and have had dissapointing results.

I shot one in the neck area closer to the chest and it blew the head completely off and destroyed the chest cavity. The second was shot in the chest area and it basically split the squirrel in two.

Has anyone else had this kind of damage?

Should I try a different round? (I'm using federal v-shocks)

·
8,026 Posts
jon164, I would...

Reccommend that you stick to head shots only if you are going to use your HMR. It has an explosive effect on small critters, but you already know this!! :rolleyes: A much better tree squirrel round is the Mach 2, but that also requires another rifle. If all you have is the HMR, then you are pretty much stuck with head shots, that is if you want something for the cooking pot! Good luck to all of you this season. God Bless, Frank.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tfrank,

No I'm not stuck with an hmr. I bought this rifle for small game hunting here because I sometimes encounter bobcats, fox, and coyotes and I thought it would do well with squirrles as well.

As for the head shot thing I should no better just kinda got caught up in the heat of the moment.

I have a 22lr but for me its not enough for the animals listed.

I also have a 22mag but I have since retired that rifle as it is not as accurate as the hmr.

I just can't seem to find xtp's or gamepoints anywhere.

·
8,026 Posts
Find what you need online.

I've relined two Mossbergs to 17 caliber. I chose 17 Aguila as I thought it would be the better tree squirrel round, but have since changed my mind about the Aguila because of some testing I did. The 20 grain softpoint that Aguila uses just has TOO MUCH penetration. Now admittedly this was a VERY LIMITED test as only four shots were fired in this test. All four shots were fired at essentially "point blank" range, that is the muzzle was about 16 to 18 inches away from the clay that I was using to see what the bullets would do. On all four rounds I had at least 6" of penetration but none were more than 7". Two of the bullets were recovered as picture perfect mushrooms of approximately .24 caliber. The other two had the core separate from the jacket, but lead core still penetrated slightly over 6". A 3 to 4 inch cavity was formed in the clay from the impact energy. That these bullets performed that well at point blank range is a testamony to the quality of their construction. I hope the XTP's and the Gamepoints construction is of similar quality as I think it would be perfect for squirrels; I am assuming that it wouldn't be as explosive as the 17 grain bullets, but again this is an assumption on my part and based on NO HMR experiance. Just a guess and a gut feeling on my part. If the XTP's etc are as tough as the Aguila bullets even factoring in the extra speed of the HMR, the heavier bullet should be just what you need for the larger animals you listed and be tough enough that they don't explode a squirrel if hit in the body. Just my thoughts. I'd order some 20 grainers online and get to testing to see what your rifle likes best. Good luck and God Bless, Frank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.