Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that I need a spotting scope simply b/c I am sick of having to use those adhesive "Shoot-N-C" targets. I am leaning towards getting a cheap $50 one made by someone like Tasco or BSA. While I know these companies have an overall poor reputation for scopes, I figure on a spotting scope it can't make THAT much of a difference. I mean, as long as I can see the .22 calibre hole in the target, it works. Am I right or should I fork up the money for something better?

A few relevant facts:
- I'm a college student so I'm on a budget
- I never shoot farther than 100yds
- Target shooting is just an occasional recreation for me, I'm not "hardcore" about it

·
Registered
614 Posts
"Cheap is expensive" I'm not going to tell you you need to spend $800 to get good optics but if your going to spend $50 .... a decent tripod can run you that much. If you spend $50 You will hate the thing, not use it and it will have NO resale value at all! Shoot the Shoot-n-sees and save your money for a real piece of glass. Look back in this section for detailed discussions on spotters, I posted a reply to a similar thread this morning that you may find \useful.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Listen to MD10/22 - Any $50 spotter you buy will have virtually no resoloution. You will have a terrible time resolving .22 holes @ 50 yards with it. You don't need to spend a fortune but I'd plan on at least $150 or so for anything that you will be able to use.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I totally agree with previous answers. I have a high end spotting scope, and realize you can't afford one of those, but your $50 would be going down the drain. In fact, on another thread, it was suggested that the shooter use his cheap spotting scope in conjunction with the Shoot NC targets!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.