Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Special vs. Ultra Lux

613 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  snuffy22
I JUST got my Special and have only shot it two times. It's a great shooter. Much better than anything I've shot before (a total of two other .22's, heh).

However, there is an opportunity for me to get a used Ultra Lux for a decent price.

The question to you guys: Stay with the Special, or buy the Ultra Lux and sell the Special? Is the Ultra Lux significantly better? Would it be a gun by gun issue where some Specials shoot better than some Ultra Luxes?

I know, I know, the first answer is gonna be "Get both!" but my maximum number of guns is limited by the authorities (i.e. wife).

I'm using a scope, btw, so the advantage of the Ultra Lux regarding iron sights is a non-issue.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Hard Call

I just have the Ultra Lux and know how much I really like that rifle. You are right, the first answer that came to mind is get both!:D
I noticed you posted about pull length on your rifle being too short. I believe the pull length on the ultra lux is longer. I could be wrong

Curt

· Registered
289 Posts
In another post you mentioned that the special stock was too short for you. The Ultra Lux might cure that problem as it has a length of pull of 14 1/2". Measure your Special from the center of the trigger to the center of the back of the butt pad and compare it to that. My American measures 13 1/2" and probably the Special does, too. If you're a tall guy the Ultra Lux might fit you better. As for accuracy, I doubt there is a whole lot of difference. Like you said, it's more of a gun by gun situation. FWIW, I've only shot my Ultra Lux one time , but it looks like it may have an edge in accuaracy over my American. I'll need more testing to say for sure.

· Registered
285 Posts
Some of the reasons I got the ultra-lux instead of the american , special or varmint were because: it appears to be more rare varient, I like the longer LOP as I am tall, I do like iron sights so the sight radius is a plus, it was more challenging to find as no local dealers that had the other models had heard of it so I had to search and order from out of state. Being unusual is always preferred, all other things equal. The sights and the orange stock also remind me mildly of my swiss K-31, that is a plus cause that rifle shoots great.

· Registered
63 Posts
I have both, and like boats, cars and fine women, each is different and each is nice:cool:

The Special is a tad lighter which makes it nice to carry in the woods, but the little extra weight of the lux makes for less recoil and opens up possibilities for good accuracy.

The Ultra Lux has a little wider forearm and will sit on a shooting bag a little better.

The Ultra Lux has a nice raised cheek piece and the pull is longer with a rubber butt pad.

The Special is just a little more compact and maneuverable with a shorter barrel.

I like them both :)

· Registered
29 Posts
Right at this moment, My special is out shooting my ultralux.
BUT,,,its not by much we're talking hundreths of an inch and is probably just variations in the "nut behind the bolt".
The ultra is much quieter but the special is much lighter ie better moutain gun as I live in the mountains:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.