Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of new to rimfires and just love my C Z Ultra's ,noticed in my "Precision Shooting" magazine a gauge by Bald Eagle, to measure rim thickness for sorting bullets , they claim that group sizes can be reduced by 25% also wondering If anyone sorts bullets by weight which they claim also reduces group size. I know these are pretty extreme measures and mainly I just like to "plink" ,( no reloading is great ), but sometimes I shoot with some guys that can "HOWL PRETTY LOUD" when they, one upped me . So if theres something I can do while watching T V to help keep there voices "DOWN" . Well I guess I was wondering if there were any other "extreme accuracy nuts" "out there" that have tried either of these methods.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The consensus seems to be that with cheap hunting/plinking ammo, you might see some marginal improvement in accuracy from sorting. However, sorting will not make cheap ammo shoot like match ammo. Most agree that sorting match ammo is pretty much a waste of time. If it were me, I'd get some of the cheaper match stuff (Wolf, Eley Trainer or Practice, Fed 711b) and see how that does in your rifles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hanned sgb die for accuracy?

Has anyone tried the hanned small game bullet die? The following link has an article on accuracy improvement as a benefit.
http://www.hanned.com/sgbtech.html
I did purchase one each (LR and short) for use outdoors when the snow clears. I tried it in a very limited fashion on an indoor range (50 ft) with federal 711b. Not enough rounds though to make any qualitative results. More later.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to agree with Forester. I don't know of anybody shooting .22 benchrest that sorts ammo by rim thickness or by weight. I believe a few shooters went through the trouble of measuring rim thickness and weighing ammo and found that quality ammo, such as Eley, Lapua, RWS, etc., didn't show enough variation to warrant spending the time to measure it. But it's a hobby and if you have the time to spend, go for it.
Good Shooting, AL :)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
With Remington Target, I found a vast improvement by weight sorting them to within 0.3gr. With decent ammo I haven't worried about it.

Manges, I like your sorter, you should rent her out and /or patent her;)
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I just did a simple test sorting Aguila 39 gr sub sonics. Out of 100 there were 3 different lots to choose from. 34 came in at 48.5 grains, 33 at 48.0 grains and 33 at 49.0 grains.

Now I know why I was having failure to feeds. I'm going to say it's the ones that were 48 gr.

Next will be a test of accuracy between the tree groups. I think I'll do that today after it gets a little warmer. It's only 50 now but should hit 69 by noon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.