Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Something different

1940 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Vincent
Sometimes things don't go in the direction you think they will. In December I picked up a '96 birch/stainess carbine at a big gun show that appeared to be unfired. Wasn't looking for another 10/22 but when opportunity knocks you answer. Brought it home and put it in the safe and thought about it. I've never built a 10/22 for accuracy so it seemed like the thing to do. Much research and annoying questions later I'd pretty much settled on a DSP stock and a GM heavy contour barrel. Traded the birch carbine stock and a couple of bucks to the local LGS for a walnut DSP stock that needed refinished, only to find when I got it home the stainless receiver wouldn't fit. Hmm. Well, I liked the stock on the Ruger American Rimfire I briefly owned so bought one in the Trading Post and did some work on it. Aluminum pillar I made at work and filled the voids in the stock with milspec epoxy and 7mm carbon fiber rods. Stiffened it up. Meantime the closeout deal on the Volquartzen muzzle weighted barrels came up and decided to try something different. I like long heavy barrels for offhand and this one is neither. Mounted the barrel using a Ruger v-block that was milled/drilled/tapped and thinks it's a Gunsmither (TM) twin. Floated the barrel and remembered some nice red silicone sheet to use for pressure padding. Aluminum tape got the receiver snug in the stock. Meanwhile the trigger group was getting worked over, auto bolt release, bolt headspaced, radiussed, firing pin polished, shaped and spring pinned. Firing group surfaces polished and hammer notch reshaped and narrowed ala super stock stickies. Mag release drilled and a carbon fiber rod epoxied in. Trigger plunger reshaped and polished, trigger mating surface polished. Old school Ruger scope rail with BKL rings and a Weaver T-24. First couple of range trips were less than encouraging, it shot patterns. Found out I needed much higher pressure pads because of how the bottom of the barrel channel is shaped. Finally this morning it's starting to show some promise. I had thouroughly cleaned the barrel and chamber, and after 15 fouling shots shot the target below at 50 yards. It needs to be better to shot MOA at 100 yards but I forgot the rests and shot off of the range bag. Dummy. The 2 left groups would have been .450s without the low flyers. The trigger needs to be lighter, working it in slowly, and better ammo is inbound, this lot of Eley Target isn't the best I've seen. My idea was to keep as much Ruger as possible, and it looks promising. Not really into naming my guns or cars or bikes, I just call it the 96.

What do you think?
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I think you may have something there.

Take a look at Permatex bedding. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645761 . With Permatex you can cast a pad of your needed thickness without guessing. I've been using it for some time now, with very good results.
I have also found that with a .920 barrel, that sometimes a pad works best in the tip, sometimes in front of the takedown, and sometimes a combination of both.
With that barrel my first try would be at the tip. I would bet with a little pad experimenting , and one notch up the ammo ladder, you can shrink those groups.

Good Luck
Yeah, I'm giving that some thought but it's going to take a whole bunch of silicone to fill up that square barrel channel. Not terribly expensive so why not try it?
I have always wanted to build a rifle with one of those "Running Boar" barrels (named after the European shooting contests where the weighted barrel end helped the swing to lead the boar target that was moving).

I also really like how those stocks feel.

I think this is a unique and very interesting rifle. I think it is a statement made by it's builder of what can be done with a little creativity and a willingness to do your own work! I like that a lot and it reminds me of how we used to do things in SuperStock before people started just buying all their components instead of reworking something until it was "right"!

A VERY nice rifle and it looks like it already would have made the 13mm Funshoot @ 50 yards :D:bthumb:
See less See more
Thanks Vincent. My goal is for it to shoot under 1" @ 100 so it needs to shoot under .4 @ 50 to have a chance. It could be a challenge with the light, short barrel and the high rings but I also want to see how it shoots offhand and the high rings are needed. Got some better ammo coming to see what it likes, that should help.

I wasn't very precise measuring the groups on that target, if I remeasure and find that one is actually under .512 and shoot 4 intentional sighters would it get in? Never gave qualifying for a game a thought that day, I just measure separate flyers to get bullet size.

Edit: never mind. With careful measuring the largest group got larger. Next time.
Yeah in Superstock Sawdust started his first game with 3 out of 4 groups to qualify.

When I started the SuperSport version I went with 4 out 4 because back when Sawdust started his many people struggled to make it. By the time we started SuperSport the 1/4" club was a pretty easy game even though it required under 1 MOA groups! Our little rifles had come a LONG way:D:D

When we got this one going I thought it would be even easier with the heavy barrels in this class of rifle. Seems logical although now I am not so sure. As several people have pointed out the tensioned barrels are lighter than a GMHT but you would still kind of think they should be more accurate but maybe harder to shoot.

Looks like now I am going to be finding out for myself!! ;):D:bthumb:
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.