Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We noticed that in our past matches all the trophies and award plaques were going to the the same experienced shooters. The new shooters? They went home from a match with nothing, but a memory. After a shooter wins a bunch of trophies, his wife starts considering them "dust collectors".

At the suggestion of our clubs treasurer, Fred Gregg, we have been giving out awards to ALL the shooters at our rimfire benchrest matches. More of a souvenir than an award. Something that is not expensive, so we are keep our entry fees low: And small, so it would not take up much room. Also: Something that for the winners, indicate that they where the WINNER.

Weve been giving out clear plastic badges, 2 1/4" in diameter. The artwork is unique for each match. It indicates the month of the E-Mail Match and a shooting graphic: For the top shooters it has "25 Yard Match Winner" or "50 Yard Match Winner".

The graphic for the month of May is a picture of our covered range with our club logo in the blue sky. I have designed different badges for each month through October. One of them has a picture of an Anschutz. Another has a graphic of the USBR target and a cartoon shooter. October shows a picture of one of the wind flags that Mike Hansen sent to me.

Anyone want to take a look at some of my art work? Ask and I will send you a JPEG graphic as an attachment. I have five extra badges left over from the May match.

Or would ya rather have a trophy?

Joe

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwight !!!

How did you find that thread. It's two and a half years old.

We started using those badges here and down in Mission five years ago. I considered making some up for everyone in the E-Mail Matches when we first started, but thougth I better stick to the local matches. It would have doubled my work load. I REALLY need to get out to the range once in a while.

Here is a sample of some of the badges we have used for awards in the past. That is an Anschutz 1413 in the lower right, and one of Mike Hanson's wind flags in the lower left. The one in the middle is Mary Sparkman (SnowQueen), shooting over a Mk I Yooper Rest: Made by my Grandson Chris, from a tree crotch and a Chevrolet hub cap. Every competitor gets a badge. The winners get one that sez they won.

Joe :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi Joe,
Those are some good looking patches and I agree that it would be good to have more newer shooters get awards.
I bet this would be a ton of work but perhaps one way to do this is to have a handicap league. That is, folks would be shooting againest themselves or the average score. That way the person who wins is the person who improves the most and not just the high shooters. If there is any interest, I'll offer to help out with this.
As far as badges go, would it be a good idea to have a really chilly looking one for say the Dec, Jan, or Feb matches? Here are a couple of examples of shots from up here during the Winter. They aren't great, but I think they'll give you the idea. I or others could take better ones if yu think it would be worth it. Heck a couple of us have talked about stripping down to shorts, sandles, and tee-shirts for a goofy winter photo.....
Thanks for always thinking about the new shooters Joe, you are a good guy!!!
Jim

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ahhh Jim,

Yes, land of the frozen trigger finger, frozen thick bullet rimfire bullet lube, and ammo in a cooler to warmer!!!!

And let us not forget the dreaded drop in the speed of sound thus making transsonic bullet flight an issue!!!

Hmmmm, 48 degrees forcast for today, high of 30 for Saturday, and the drop continues....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I figure that being crazy :silly: is probably our best (perhaps only) endearing quality!!!!
Heck if we snuggled the whole time there is snow on the ground:
1) AK would be as crowded as Tokyo, and
2) We'd all have chronic bed sores!!!!!!!
I guess you adapt to your suroundings, or else move. Me I can't fathom how folks live places where it gets and stays hot (anything over 75 is hot for me) and humid for months at a time.
Hey Brain,
That is a mirage shield, one of those window blind type deals held on by velcro. I have found that up here mirage off the barrel is worst when it is cold. What I believe happens is that even though the barrel doesn't get very warm, the temp differential between it and the air is relatively large. I have measured outer barrel temps of near or above 32 at air temps of 10-15 when I keep the rate of fire up to say a shot every 5-10 seconds. But man let that barrel cool down and it takes 15-25 shots or more to get her back up to temp. If you want to see some really wild mirage, try shooting over snow during the late Winter/Spring on a sunny day. If there isn't at least some wind it is about impossible to shoot.
You bet I am anxious for my Fudd rest :yippee: !!!! I am using the photos you sent as my computer wall paper at work. My co-workers know I'm nuts already.
I am going to keep plugging to get some matches going up here. Just think, we could have a Frostbite match during the Winter and then a Midnight Sun Match during the Summer!!!!!!
Hey Jim,
The good looking guy in the top photo be me ;) and the stately looking gentleman in the lower photo is my buddy Col. Dick (Dead) Center the founding Father of the B&F (Belch and Fart) Shootist Society, i.e., the bunch of Yahoos I get together with for morning coffee and range time on the weekends.
Jim

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jim . . .

When I saw those COLD pictures, I said: "I can do that". "I can make an award badge from one of those pictures".

But when I downloaded the pictures to turn 'em into award badges, they would not load into any of my graphics programs.

I called AOL and they said they may be imbedded or maybe not compatible with my graphics software.

Jim: Send them to me in an e-mail message and I will see what I can do for Christmas or maybe a Happy New Years Match. We put them in round plastic badges that are 2 1/4 inches in diameter. We buy them at Walmart. They are called "Fun Buttons".

Mavis and I are leaving for South Texas in the Morning. There is white s--t all over the ground here and we got drive west across this Upper Peninsula through a snow storm tomorrow morning.

Hello Texas!

Joe :)

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dwight

I got them on my desktop, but when I try to open them, I get:
"File Error" "Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupted or a file format that Preview does not recognize"

Won't open on any of my other graphics programs either.

If Jim sends them as attachments to an e-mail message, I think they will open.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.