Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the T/C pistols and have a chance to buy one with a Bilby or Bilburry 10" match Bbl. in .22 Cal. with a scope for $400.00. Is this a good buy, and what kind of accuracy might I expect with match ammo? Thanks for any help in this matter. Brad

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It's Bullberry. In fact I have my name on their list for a 357 Mag barrel - something like a 4 month backlog! The 10" 22 match barrel alone sells for $229 from Bullberry. A new Contender without barrel goes for something like $240 or so I believe with a grip and fore end. Then you add a scope , base and rings.

What kind of scope does it have? If everything is in good condition I would say it is a pretty good deal. But it never hurts to offer less to begin with!

As far as accuracy - Bullberry guarantees MOA accuracy from their barrels.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info...

452 Shooter..I appreciate it much, I knew that I could count on the people here on the forum. I didn't notice the scope, might have been a Leupold, (wishful thinking). Anyway, I think I'll grab it up while I can. Thanks again, Brad

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Glad I could offer some insight! If the scope is a Leupold then you really have a deal! I have owned my Contender now for close to 14 years. Have owned only TC factory barrels so far including 22lr match , 22 Hornet , 44 Mag , 357 Mag and .223. The accuracy is very good to exceptional in my experience. I manged to get a deal on the Bullberry so I told them to go ahead with the order.
Oh yeah , also I should mention on the 22 match there will be a tight "press fit" chamber. So the closing of the action will take a little more effort than it does closing on an empty chamber. On the the TC 22 Match factory barrels you can remove a cartridge after closing the action and see the rifling or leade marks on the bullet!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
YEP I'd jump on that deal !

I have had a couple Bullberry Barrels over the years and they were indeed shooters. However I have obtained very good accuracy from Factory Barrels as well. I have been shooting / hunting with Contender Handguns for over 20 years, and their accuracy never ceases to amaze me.

I currently have a 15" 6mm T/CU Custom Virgin Valley Custom Guns Contender Barrel, a Super 14 Factory Match Grade .22 LR Barrel, and a Super 14 Factory Barrel that was rechambered from .30 Herrett to .30-30 Ackley Improved by SSK Industries. While I have not had the opportunity to shoot the .30-30 Ackley Improved yet, the other two barrels are so accurate it is downright scary. In addition I have also had a Custom Barrel from SSK Industries, and it too produced excellent accuracy.

Contender Frames around this part of the country are going for from $210.00 (what I paid for an Blued Old Style one that I had to send in to T/C to be converted) to $275.00 NEW Stainless-Steel Frame. Factory Barrels seem to be running from $175.00 for used ones to $225.00 for New ones (this is for Factory Barrels).
At $400.00 you would be getting the Scope and Mounts for FREE given these prices.

Good luck, but be fore warned, Contenders are addicting, and as far as barrels go, you can never have just one (kinda like the Lays Potato Chips thing). However the good news is, the next Caliber or Cartridge is just a barrel away, and there are a lot of great deals to be found on used barrels if you know where to look. (I paid $130.00 for the Super 14 .30 Herrett I had rechambered to .30-30 Ackley Improved and that included a Scope Base.) (The rechambering was extra of course.)

Larry

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T/C purchase...

Thanks Guys for all the help. As to the scope I really didn't notice the make. I saw the pistol at a local gun show displayed by a friend and did a quick look. As the days have passed since then, the voice whispering in my ear got a lot louder saying "Buy Me" Looks as if I will have to listen, and soon. Larry, you said you hade an old style frame converted, from what to what? I will have another chance to buy it the first weekend of Feb. (another gun show in the area) so I will have to patiently wait till then. Thanks again and I'll let you all know how it goes. Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.