Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Heym SR-30, designed by Peter Fortner Jr. himself. This is from my co-worker's collection. Straight-pull bolt action with 6 ball bearing locking lugs in the front of the bolt. I am told this is the only full-length stocked SR-30 in 6.5x55 imported into this country...for what that's worth...and that is the problem. Were it a .270 or .30-06, I think I would love it. With 6.5mms being all the rage, one would think there would be a resurgence of interest in the Swede.
You pull it back and push forward until the bolt stops…but not all the way; it’s locked but it’s not cocked yet until you push it that last 1/2” to cock the striker. In the locked but not cocked position, you can carry it safely, or you can slide a small cross bolt safety to make it…errr…safer. Anyway, it’s incredibly ingenious, well built and engineered, as in over engineered.
For your enlightenment and viewing pleasure

Attachments

·
RFC Moderator
11,971 Posts
TBR- i'm usually not a Mannlicher or full stock fan, but that is a gorgeous rifle. I'm actually finding myself liking the Mannlicher designs more and more as I get older. You have impeccable taste in firearms, my friend.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t know about my taste, but I think the shape of the full fore-stock area and barrel/sights are perfection to my eyes: not so much the buttstock and wrist areas. Still, this is one very fine rifle, if it suits one’s tastes and needs. It is one of only a few of his very nice rifles that remains after my wholesale selling efforts on my friend’s behalf. This one being so different, and having the Fortner connection, I thought it share worthy on RFC. I still have his Winchester 1873 and Spencer Carbine that are an historic eye feast.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Real nice looking rifle.👍 I noticed on Winchester’s website that 6.5x55 is one of the calibers offered this year in the 1885’s.
You might as well add that one to your collection Kent, that way it will have a good home.🙂

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s looking like everything I brought from my friend’s house may end up in “my” collection. He’s completely off the radar. Even the rehab center he was at doesn’t know where he is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Beautiful rifle TBR. Seeing it sort of teetering on that leather rest perched on a stool with some heavy duty concrete below gave me some serious jitters. Ouch!! Wouldn't want to see the aftermath.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Even the rehab center he was at doesn’t know where he is.
Was he in a nursing home for rehabilitation? If so, they had better know at least where he said he was going when he discharged. Otherwise it could be an improper discharge on their part and could result in negative consequences for all involved (your friend's well being and the nursing home's liability). I'm a nursing home administrator so this kind of stuff bothers me. Now...with patient privacy issues in mind, they may just not be at liberty to say where he went.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a rehab center. He went home from there, but that was a month ago, so they don’t know where he is now. I know he’s not home now. I have texted an acquaintance that might know. I’m guessing he’s in another facility now.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Beautiful rifle. I have been interested in the Swede for years. I suspect not being the latest whiz bang caliber is the reason it does not get the attention it deserves. In a modern rifle, and loaded to it's potential it will run with the 6.5 Creedmoor. A "Swede" is on my list.

Mals

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
My only rifle that is "full time" chambered in that caliber is also a FS: a CZ 500 in 6.5x55 Swedish. Love the caliber. Soft recoiling compared even to the .308. I think you have a minor masterpiece there.

I do have a Savage with two barrels in very similar calibers, because they use the same bolt head: one is 6.5x55 and the other is .260 Rem. I think I have the .260 barrel on there right now.

·
Premium Member
12,491 Posts
Oh my, very nice. As you stated that is "one very fine rifle". I'm a fan of the full stock rifle and though I've never owned a 6.5x55 I always thought I would like to try one.

Color me green.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts