Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well boys, I have some great news! I found not one but TWO great candidates locally. I couldn't decide which one so I got both. Ha! I posted a WTB ad on a local gun forum and a super cool fellow came through for us.

I will post some photos as soon as they come home (mandatory wait in WA state :mad:)

So, this isn't one of those great bargain find stories, but I paid a "fair" price for excellent condition revolvers.

Now I'd like to ask for some opinions and suggestions on field holsters and speed loaders for the Smith & Wesson 17 & 617. :D:D
I like the El Paso Saddlery Tom Threeperson holsters and Simply Rugged holsters.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I can personally recommend DS Speed loaders and blocks for 10 shot S^W revolvers. A little pricy as compared to HKS but well worth it. If you decide to go with the HKS brand in 6 shot, I've found that the J frame size actually work better in K frames than the K frame style. They just load faster and with less fiddling than the larger size. Go figure.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The best money we ever spent for an accessory for my 617 was the purchase of a Speedbeez brand speedloader and loading block/case. It was a little pricey (actually a gift from the better half). The block/case is configured to hold 100 rounds of ammo in 10 10-shot groupings. Kit comes with one speedloader. Additional speedloader are available. So quick and easy to use and makes range time so much more enjoyable. I absolutely love and recommend this loading system. Worth your time to at least take a look. I believe this was purchased on Amazon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If I get another da/sa revolver, it will be an old H&R Sportsman 999. It was the first handgun I ever fired and was perfect for me. 9 shot break-open and slim with substantial grips.
I may have to start looking…

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I get another da/sa revolver, it will be an old H&R Sportsman 999. It was the first handgun I ever fired and was perfect for me. 9 shot break-open and slim with substantial grips.
The first handgun I ever bought for myself was a Model 999 . Sold it to a co worker many years ago . I would pay dearly to have that gun back .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Like you I have been looking for months for a NEW Ruger Single 6 hunter model or a S&W 617 or 17. Their is none any were in the country that you can buy new from a dealer. Zero.
You cannot tell me these gun Mfg are marking these guns in any quantity.
It’s very sad when a guy has money to spend for a gun and cannot find it. I am talking at a fair price. Not GB prices which are 35% over MSR. MD

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I can personally recommend DS Speed loaders and blocks for 10 shot S^W revolvers. A little pricy as compared to HKS but well worth it. If you decide to go with the HKS brand in 6 shot, I've found that the J frame size actually work better in K frames than the K frame style. They just load faster and with less fiddling than the larger size. Go figure.
I also can personally recommend the DS Speed loaders and blocks. They are exceptionally well made and and worth every penny.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd look for a holster on eBay as they have a lot of nice old vintage hunter style holsters made by Brauer, Buckheimer etc.
Any idea of a Model # on either brand that will fit a S&W 617 6"? Those that fit a regular S&W M17 will not work with that full lug barrel. I wonder if a holster that was made for a Colt Python 6" would be too loose with a 617?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you find one, be sure to inspect it THOUROUGHLY and test fire if you can. I've also got a sweet spot for these old breakopen revolvers but can tell you that their springs ( and rear sight assemblies) don't hold up to time well. They are getting real hard to find substitute parts for too. ( Even at Numerich)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Any idea of a Model # on either brand that will fit a S&W 617 6"? Those that fit a regular S&W M17 will not work with that full lug barrel. I wonder if a holster that was made for a Colt Python 6" would be too loose with a 617?
I use holsters designed /marketed for the SW 586/686 and think they fit pretty well.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
It will fit this holster with a full lug. I just tried an N frame Outdoorsman, and it fits 95% of the way in, so your 617 should fit just fine.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts