Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do some varminting in the U.P. I plan to use a rabbit squeal call. I live in southern Michigan and have heard many cottentails falling prey to varmints and know what it sounds like. In the U.P. where I intend to hunt varmints, there are only snowshoe hares. Do they make the same sounds as a dieing cottentail? And does calling bobcats work?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey chum bucket, you can use cottontail calls up there. There are a few cottontails running around in the U.P., try turkey polt or kitten for bobcats. WATCH OUT FOR WOLVES !!! There have been 8 (I think) wolves killed in the U.P. this year and they want to bust anyone they can for it. I seen one this year up in Iron County while on a bowhunting trip, them suckers can really run!
What part of the U.P. you headed to?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yooper Deer Camp

Our camp is near the 359 exit off I-75. About 20 minutes across da bridge. We have seen some wolves there. They have really done well the last few years. I have thought about that situation of calling in a wolf and hopefully they will turn and run away before they get to close. I would rather run into a wolf than a panther.

I heard the DNR is trying to kill off all the deer so they can reintroduce moose in the eastern U.P. I guess the moose can catch brain worm from the deer. That might just be a rumor though. They sure have been giving out alot of doe permits.

I have only seen one cottentail in those parts and there arent any turks. Lots of snowshoes, squirrels and some grouse. Oh ya and the circus mice.

What is a kitten call.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kitten in distress. It will call in any hungry predator.
So you must be near Cedarville then? Ive hunted out that way, not much luck though. My favorite area is out near Fosterville, its Coyote hunter heaven.

GRMI Im in Monroe :) I drive past GR about 50 times a year on my way to Baldwin.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just to add a little excitement to the mix here, today I'd heard of a guy from our area that went up to the eastern UP (Probably near your area) to run rabbits with the beag's. He lost one of his dogs and thought maybe he took a cottontail trail (they dont circle as readily as a snowshoe) way off in the distance. They found the dog....mangled to pieces. Wolf? Could be. I want to get up there for coyote hunting real soon!

ps, I'm from the northern lower in Charlevoix county.

Perf

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got back from a work trip to Escanaba and Marquette. Lots of trucks parked along rt.2 with dog boxes on the back. From what I hear, either snowshoe hunters or Bobcat hunters. Plan on being back in the Upper in a couple of weeks. Would sure like to find someone with some dogs to run some hares.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hmmm...

That's not good at all.

If something tore up one of my beagles, I'd definitely find it and I'd do my best to kill it!

My beagles are great! Now, if it would've torn up my Mt. Cur, I would've unleashed HELL on everything in site! :D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beagles are definately down a few spots on the food chain In the U.P. Even a pack of Coyotes could turn on them. But It probably was wolves. There has been a few hunters awarded money for their dead dogs all ready. If you can prove a wolf did it the DNR will pay for the damages.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey Chum_Bucket,

So, how does that work...?

Let's say I bought a beagle for $150 when he was a puppy, but I went through all of the steps and made him into a Master Field Champion.....

Do they give me the $150 for my beagle or do they give me the $750+ that he's worth?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Heck, I'm surprised they give anything at all! They must be giving some sort of compensation for the "transplanting-revitalization" of the wolve population back in the, the, ummmmm......whenever it was that they did the moose thingy, too.

Viper, this is why many of us hunt Coyote. Get in on their turf and beat them at their own game! Just recently found a grey fox carcass out back of our church and it was intact, the coyotes probably killed that (a terrible hatred they have for fox) and left it lay to make a statement.

Perf

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. The DNR is helping the gray wolf make a come back. A few Came in from Wisconsin on their own and started to multiply so they decided to reintroduce them all over. And I'm not sure who decides how much money they award for damage but I bet it is a big mess trying to get it settled. There was a turkey farm that was raided by wolves also. I know that no sum of money can replace a good hunting dog but on the other hand it is no secret that the wolves are around. They mostly eat deer and a dog is much easier to catch. If I was going to use dogs up there I guess that is a chance I would have to take. I bet the sound of a sqealing beagle brings them right in too. Maybe it would be better to use rabbit hounds.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey Perf,

I definitely agree with you there! I just started coyote hunting this year. I've been hunting for 15 years now and just started hunting predators.....

I'm thinking about getting another Mt. Cur and using them to decoy or hunt the coyote, but I'm going to check into it more before I do anything....

Thanks for the information, Chum! :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ahhh not only do I find people who love small diameter bullets,

But Beagles too:t I've got a 2.5 year old rescued beagle W/ Papers that i'm in the proscess of training on ribbit now

Kevin

·
Registered
227 Posts
You know what really gets me about coyote hunting? Is that they are incredibly attuned to what is a safe area and what is a risk area. Yesterday in church this couple that have moved up here from Grand Rapids (genuine city folk) said that not long ago they saw a dog walking along a tree line/field during broad daylight near their house.....saw it from their window. Dog....yeah, right. The husband said "that's a coyote!". Maybe better be checking that area out.

Viper, this past weekend we did about 6 setups without seeing any coyote. My bro had shot a cottontail a few days prior and left it outside to stiffen. We took it hunting with us. Would straddle it over a log so it could be seen and near the speaker. You should have seen the crows coming in! At least we knew the speaker was working. Bad day for coyotin' though.

Perf

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey Perf,

We just had pistol deer season. I don't go because I don't trust my skills as much with a pistol as I do with my shotgun.

My brother and dad always go out.

Well, in the 2 days over the weekend, they ended up seeing 2 coyotes on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. My brother popped off a few shots at the one on Sunday, but to no avail....

That's more coyotes than I've seen in the past 3 years, rabbit hunting.

Those tapes are crazy! I'm going to have my brother come out with me this weekend. We've got tons of leftover rabbit "goodies" from cleaning and we might use one of the bodies and the fur as a decoy. I've also got my moving decoy, so we'll see which one works better.

He's taking my 10/17HMR and I'm taking the AR-15. I pity any coyote that comes within 250 yards! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.