Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a pair of snake boots, but I'm pretty sure they'll be a wise purchase for my upcoming ventures into the forest. Any advice or things to look for in snake boots?

·
Registered
736 Posts
when you try em on make sure they do cover as high as possible without touching anywhere above the knee, the worse chafs are there and cut before you realise it. Otherwise same as a good work boot ,good fit comfort etc.

dunno what they use as material but we tend to get the over lapping bamboo on the gaiter part. i think they have hemp or canvas sewn over it.

Personally i use standard blundstone boots and two soccer shin pads taped together. slip them on before putting on your boots.

they are lighter, cooler, and stop a .22 air rifle pellet at 25m

but thats me

cheers

jack

·
Premium Member
13,647 Posts
Jack404,
You folks have some **** mean snakes in your country, plus a spider that can bite through your toe nail and kill you. I think a an armored body suit would be more appropriate. BTW, that's an impressive set of jewelry you have.

Ray,
I bought a pair from Cabelas or Bass Pro (can't remember) that are tall and zip up the side. They are very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you try em on make sure they do cover as high as possible without touching anywhere above the knee, the worse chafs are there and cut before you realise it. Otherwise same as a good work boot ,good fit comfort etc.

dunno what they use as material but we tend to get the over lapping bamboo on the gaiter part. i think they have hemp or canvas sewn over it.

Personally i use standard blundstone boots and two soccer shin pads taped together. slip them on before putting on your boots.

they are lighter, cooler, and stop a .22 air rifle pellet at 25m

but thats me

cheers

jack
Hmmm, I'll definitely watch out for the knee issue. BTW, you just introduced me to Blundstone boots. Look so comfy that I just might have to try a pair of those, too!

Jack404,
You folks have some **** mean snakes in your country, plus a spider that can bite through your toe nail and kill you. I think a an armored body suit would be more appropriate. BTW, that's an impressive set of jewelry you have.

Ray,
I bought a pair from Cabelas or Bass Pro (can't remember) that are tall and zip up the side. They are very comfortable.
I don't get down to the nearest Cabelas much, but I definitely go by the BassPro in Baltimore, MD. Thanks for tip!

·
Registered
165 Posts
i thought about snake boots when i knew i was heading for snake country but ended up buying a set of leggings that come up to my thigh.they work great for briars & are waterproof so pushing thru wet weeds ect keeps me dry.
i had hopes to use them in shawnee this year but if gas keeps going up & the temps staying on the cool side i wont be able to make it :( most boots would turn a snake bite & i feel safer climbing around the woods with the chaps,mike243

·
Registered
243 Posts
Snakeproof

Here in SC we have plenty of snakes, venomous and non-venomous. My brother works in the timber industry cruising timber through open fields swamps, and plenty of brush where you can't see your own feet, much less where you are putting them. He has several pairs of snake boots, but when I go with him I wear snake-proof gaiters. They snap over my shoes and go to my knee. They are very comfortable (although they can be hot when the temperature is close to 100 degrees and the air is thick with humidity.) And when we climb back into the truck they come off with a snap........probably cheaper then a pair of boots as well.

Careful where you tread!:D

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Here in SC we have plenty of snakes, venomous and non-venomous. My brother works in the timber industry cruising timber through open fields swamps, and plenty of brush where you can't see your own feet, much less where you are putting them. He has several pairs of snake boots, but when I go with him I wear snake-proof gaiters. They snap over my shoes and go to my knee. They are very comfortable (although they can be hot when the temperature is close to 100 degrees and the air is thick with humidity.) And when we climb back into the truck they come off with a snap........probably cheaper then a pair of boots as well.

I am going to go with the gaitors in the future.....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ah, perfect! I'm in Western PA with a few swamps and plenty of hills, streams and timber. One of my spring/summer projects is to cut firewood from the treetops left by the timber co. that just started harvesting from my father's property. It's mostly eastern deciduous forest (hardwoods). Growing up there, I've seen my share of garters, a couple copperheads, and only two skins of rattlers, but I don't want to take chances.

I do have chainsaw chaps, but I think the gaiters will come in handy when I'm hiking without the chaps. Come to think of it, those gaiters will allow me to wear my steel-toe boots. Hmm, even more to ponder...

Better yet, maybe I'll let one of my brothers do all the work and just get those comfy Blundstones for relaxing. :D

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
bass proshops has a number of snake gators/chaps , they also have some boots that go almost to the knee which i think would be good in combination with some brush pants. I definently suggest some upland brush pants if you don't already have a pair . They offer some protection from snakes and make you feel invinceable in the thorns . gators are great cuz you can remove them if its too hot. Boots you are stuck in all day even if you are just walking down a road back to the truck or something .

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made a decision

Once again, the good folks at RFC have come through with helpful tips and advice. I went crazy with some Memorial Day sales and ordered the snake-proof gaiters and upland game pants from Cabelas, a new Stihl Farmboss chainsaw, and knocked bunch of small items of my MidwayUSA wish list. Thanks again to all and have a wonderful weekend!

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Once again, the good folks at RFC have come through with helpful tips and advice. I went crazy with some Memorial Day sales and ordered the snake-proof gaiters and upland game pants from Cabelas, a new Stihl Farmboss chainsaw, and knocked bunch of small items of my MidwayUSA wish list. Thanks again to all and have a wonderful weekend!
Sound like you just spent your "economic stimulus" check......

·
Registered
492 Posts
If your hunting in temperate zones, snake boots are very effective. If your hunting in the tropics specially in dense tropical jungles, then snake boots are not quite enough. They are a good security but it still pays to be always wary. We've got snakes here in the tropics that bite higher than your knees, sometimes as high as the torso, and we've got lots of venomous snakes that hang around neck high branches or twigs. :eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think if you google it, you'll find that almost 100% of snakebite victims in the United States these days are drunken young men who handle venomous "pet" snakes and are bitten on their hands.
I grew up in, and warm-weather bowhunted and spring turkey hunted in most of the snake-infested woods and swamps of Florida. I never had a problem with snakes in thirty years.
This is an extremely overated threat.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
i live in rattlesnake country and i've literaly almost stepped on them twice ... i've seen snakes a few other times when someone was inches from stepping on it . its really easy to step on one if your not paying attention.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.