Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Smith and Wesson Model 41 vs Volquartsen Black Mamba

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  doubledeuce22 
#1 ·
So... I am venturing into the rimfire pistol shooting and like others want a gun that will outshoot me so I have nothing to blame but myself for crappy shooting. That being said, I've looked at the Browning buck mark, Ruger Mark IV, S&W Victory, S&W model 41 and the Volquartsen black mamba. I'd like some help!

I am leaning more towards the Model 41 and Volquartsen black mamba. I am thinking of starting with the 5" and 4.5" barrel respectively. May get a barrel swap down the road unless you think I should just got to the 7" and 6". What would you guys say? I am wanting to be between 1200-1800.

Thanks in advance and look forward to lots of continued support and supporting of this forum.

Sincerely the newbie-
Clay

#2 ·
What type of shooting are you planning on doing with the pistol? Will it use open sights or optics? Have you shot pistol much in the past and if so what is your experience level? Will you consider this a long-term investment or just a gun to shoot with?

All these questions and more are valid unless you just want a really nice pistol and have it narrowed down already.

#3 ·
I am a fairly competent shooter. I do a lot of long range shooting (custom 300 win mag and a 6.5x300 Weatherby). For pistol shooting I am mainly 9mm and more for fun, however I've done a couple 3 gun matches in Omaha. I am planning on running open sights but... that could change down the road. I am 700-800 point shooter for pistols in the first match I shot with my father in laws Browning Buckmark (red dot on board).

This will be a long term investment. I shouldn't but I usually hop both feet in. I've found that it is cheaper in the long run to buy once and cry once.

Thanks for the response- look forward to more discussion.

#4 ·
Based on what you said I think I would already lean towards the Black Mamba..

It has loads of options if you use it as a base, and from the sound of things you could well change up what you want to do with the pistol over time.

Options down the road would be more limited with the Model 41 and probably more expensive most of the time.

With the Ruger as a base you can find options from letting the grandkids plink with it to shooting steel challenge matches, and do so without breaking the bank in most cases.

The aftermarket for the Victory might be close, but probably not quite the same.

#9 · (Edited)
The Mamba looks interesting but my vote goes for the Smith. Most accurate pistols I have ever shot and mine have been totally reliable. Hunt mostly with mine with some plinking. My trigger is set at 1.5 lb.

Friends have a bottle cap shoot every summer. They use scoped rifles and I use the 41 with scoped 7" barrel. I have won the last 5 shoots. Distance is 70 yards. Its my squirrel gun when I am fishing rivers.

#10 ·
41's are all over the map with poor quality and poor service reports. There are a lot less options to optimize it to your liking as you learn what you like and dislike.

Black Mamba all day. If you like irons , the longer barrel is a better choice.

If by some reason, you choose a 41, I had a 7" barrel and found it awkward compared to the 5.5" . I found the shorter barrel to work better for me.

FWIW, the 41 was more headaches than any gun I've ever owned. SW service is hands down the worst I've ever had. On the flip side, I use a lot of Volquartsen parts in my Ruger . Scott Volquartsen has taken the time to personally help me through troubleshooting things when I made a mistake on an install.

Now for the BUT. If you can get your hands on an older 41, and you can shoot before you buy, they can be awesome. When they are good, they are really really good, providing the ergonomics work for you.

#11 ·
I'd say go for the Volquartsen...and I own two beautiful early S&W model 41's.

Volquartsen's quality control seems to be better than S&W's current offerings (which stands to reason as they're a much smaller company where quality is easier to keep an eye on), and they offer more readily available options such as different barrel lengths (all w/threaded muzzles), compensators, bolts, fire control groups, sights, etc.

I'm a wood and metal guy and I appreciate older technology and manufacturing, but recognize "everything in it's place".

I didn't see the need to purchase a pistol from Volquartsen when I could build my own clone from a Mark II pistol. It works great and I'm sure is every bit as accurate as a factory Mamba...for a nice bit less $$:

#12 ·
for me

Read the responses from BadaBing and DrewBone at least 3X!

Had a super nice dependable A-series 41 with 4 different barrels about 30 years along with a beautiful Browning Belgium Challenger so I did not need a cheap Ruger Mark. Got a Mark II Comp Target Jan 2020 and after $50 in trigger parts ended up parting with BOTH the 41 and Browning. I just shot it way better! Then acquired the VQ Scorpion 6". Much nicer build than the Ruger but not really a lot more accurate in my hands anyway. Both are superb and put 5 shots at 50 yards into just over 1/2" off bags, scope and better ammo.

I have medium/small hands and chubby fingers and think you might want to handle the two different grip styles to see if you have a preference.

I have never shot the steel games that I think most use the 4 1/2" barrel with comp. I think the Volquartsen is light enough in both the 4 1/2 and 6" I would probably choose the 6" for more versatility. When you reach the Nationals, you might want to add the extra 4 1/2" barrel!

#14 ·
DrewBone - That looks almost exactly like my first pistol that I upgraded to an LLV way back in the day! I had a silver trigger and honed a lot of the internals, super sweet shooter, wish I had kept it!
Wow, looks nice!

I've been pretty fortunate in that I've sold very few firearms over the years that I later regretted, and trust me I'll be holding onto my Volquartsen clone!

You've just reminded me - I've got to get another optic on mine as the Holosun 507C shown in that image got swapped over to another handgun. Maybe even try a scope on it one of these days :)

#15 ·
I am a little late to the conversation but both as you know both are fine pistols. If you have a chance to hold both that may be the tipping point for you on your decision making. I like my 41, but love my Scorpion. I shoot the Scorpion better and more accurately. The weight, grip, and ergonomics play a huge factor into my decision Making. The 41 was a grail for me, but after getting it, it did not live up to the hype for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.