Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
First and most important have fun.

Get your hold over or scope clicks for the different distances down. You don't need real expensive ammo but not super cheap bulk junk. Something that will group around .5" or .6" consistantly in your gun is fine, Wolf, SK or Eley Practice etc. You just don't want several crazy fliers or closer to one inch group stuff.

When you are there look at their scopes and watch how they compensate for the distances and wind (most important). Most will have about a 2lb trigger also. That would be about a Brookie's kit number 3.

Check out competitors guns and ask as many questions as possible. If you decide to continue with it get some phone numbers to talk to people as you experiment with what you learn. Also ask around for the best websites for forums and rules etc. Find out where and when they practice. Good Luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
More questions,

I don't know of any competitions in my area, but would like to learn the game. What targets to buy? What distances? What shooting stance? Basic rules?

I hope to get a club started in my area, and not only do I want to learn the game, I may be intrested in starting local competitions. Any info here would be helpful too.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
One thing that will help is working out a consistent stance for holding the gun. As in most offhand competition getting your natural point of aim sorted out for each target goes a long way toward a good score. After that just learning to relax so that the crosshairs will hold steady is another challenge.

I will second the remark about getting your sight marks down. With the proair you have target turrets and can just dial in your distances. It is important to have a scope that tracks or at least know that you have a flier or two before the scope settles. I would try to work out your marks at both types of distances (yards and meters) unless you know what they are where you will shoot.

Some folks start with a chicken zero - sight in on chickens then adjust your target turret to zero (without moving the adjustment!). Then sight in at each target range and note the settings for windage and most important elevation. I keep a little chart taped to my scope with the settings for both yards and meters for the ammo I am using. Once you have a chicken zero you can go to a new range, sight in on chickens, adjust the elevation knob, and you will be on target at all the other distances. You can also sight in on another target and "zero" by setting the turret to the appropriate mark for that target.

The distances vary by range but these are pretty standard:

chickens 40 yards (0.0) 40 meters (0.0)
pigs 60 yards (0.6) 60 meters (1.2)
turkeys 77/80 yds (2.5) 77 meters (3.1)
rams 100 yds (4.6) 100 meters (6.1)

The numbers in parens are my moa adjustments for Federal Lightning 510. I started to use that over WMT for a flatter trajectory.

Holding on the targets can be a little more difficult than it seems as there is no "center spot" to hold on. Aiming at the animal generally is no formula for success. Some folks use features on the animal to align one or both crosshairs. The turkeys are particularly hard to find a consistent aiming point as none of their lines are parallel to the crosshairs. One way might be to align the vertical with the turkey's leg and the horizontal with the point of the tail.

You can download a 50 foot silhouette target from my website that has the animals scaled to the right size. Count only the shots where the center of the bullet pierces the black. If you can hit 50% you are doing well.

Anyhow, sorry for the information overload. Take what you like and don't forget to have fun.

·
Banned
249 Posts
All the good offhand shooters at our club are diehard practicers. They practice every chance they get. And still the best offhand shot has his good and bad days. I try to shoot with them when the good shooters are having a bad day.
Practice, practice, practice.
Mad`

·
Registered
175 Posts
Practice.....repeat practice.

We shoot 25,50,75,100 yards.

As for rules, 15 seconds to load then 2 minutes for first 5 shots. Repeat for second set then move to next distance. No more than 5 rounds per magazine. Our club shoots informal, no jackets, gloves, or slings. Forty shots total, it is a lot of fun. Offhand.

I use a much higher speed round than I would for bullseye shooting. Less drop at distance, you are still on target at 100 yards even with a gun that wouldn't bench a 1/2 inch group. I know there seems to be a lot of those around but your shooting a good sized ram so even a flyier won't put you out. Last, if you've not shoot a lot of offhand then watch guys that have. See how they tuck in their arm, or note their foot spacing. Another to watch is how they resst the gun between shots. There are a lot of little tips you can pick up on watching a good shooter. I was lucky and found a guy that worked with me to develope my style.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Get Ready For A Humbling Experience!

When you show up at your 1st match, you'll be thinking how your going to show these guys what it's all about! Wrong!

You will see some of the finest shooting in your life and these guys are going to be banging their heads off the wall because of their poor performances!

Go have fun but don't get any illusions.

oklahomaman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
32/60

Eh, I knocked down 32 (of 60) animals. **** turkeys.... ;)

The overall winner hit 57! And the winner in the "Hunter" class hit 54!

I've got some practicing to do!

:D

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Kn-ubi,
over 50% is outstanding!
My club hosts an informal match monthly, it is surprising the number of first timers that do not tip 25%.
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
630 Posts
I really want to try this. It has intrested me all my life, (10 year old looking at the pretty rifles and reading about matches in The American Rifleman ) I have never been close to a match and knew it. May get some steel targets for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you are considering silhouette targets the best ones I have seen are made by Ray Schafer. You can get the ordering information online at Ray Schafer Silhouette - Cast Iron Targets. They are about $70 for 20. Another option is swinger targets like those made by Birchwood Casey. They are available at Mid-South Shooters Supply - swinger silhouette targets for about $16 each. Stay away from the single target with all four targets - you have to move it to the appropriate range to use the next target. You can save the effort of trying to push them into the ground by inserting the pointed ends into a 2 foot 2x4 (2 per target) to serve as stands. The spinners are great for practice but they do not force you to rebuild your stance as you would for a line of 5 or 10 targets.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Brookie,

Thanks again, I was wondering about swinging targets with the right profile. I know they will react differently, but 20 targets out the 100 meters, lots of walking. (even if it does take 100 shots!)

Have you seen the stock that I'm working on? Richard's Microfit Tactical It is a target stock, no thumbhole, its cut out. I'll get pictures sometime early this week.

What do you think?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have both the swingers and cast silhouettes. I find it more satisfying to shoot the silhouettes. I find it more rewarding to actually "knock em down" and the stroll down the range to reset the silhouettes provides an opportunity for some lively banter.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Swingers vs knock down targets...

Swingers are great for getting dialed in, gaining confidence, and shooting long strings. Plus you don't have to wait for the other shooters to finish to reset targets. Knock downs are better for simulating real match conditions including breaks between relays. You should have both if you are serious. If I were buying one or the other I would probably get the swingers.

I think the Birchwood Casey swingers are scaled for yards rather than meters.

plchacker,

I have not seen the stock you mentioned. Photos would be cool.

I know there is a smallbore silhouette forum on talk.shooters.com but perhaps we could open one on RFC.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
obx22 - Thanks. I guess it's a reasonable starting point. Now for a Brookie trigger kit and a lot of practice!

ihmsa - The match was held in Cupertino, California.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a set of the Birchwood Casey. It is 1/5 scale and it is meter, i.e. Ram at 100m, Turkey at 75m.

Kn-ubi, is that at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club? It's right in my neighborhood. I got to go by and watch some of this match.

Your score is great.

-Pat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.