Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 452 American. Looking at a sling and it would seem approriate to use the factory mounting posts. What type/brand of swivels are best on these posts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jed, Yeah the posts on the american are pretty well standard as far as what sling swivels will fit them.
I think the swivels were around 10 bucks a pair.
They tell me that you can remove the sling loop on other models(lux,standard,trainer) and use standard sling swivels on the 'stud' that are left but, when I removed mine, standard sling swivels would not fit (actually the holes were too big for my tastes causing the hardwear to rattle which is not good for a hunting situation)
So,,I replaced the swivel studs on my standard with uncle mikes swivel studs and now use regular ole sling swivels on them as well.
Hope this helps,
Mossey

Edited: cause I was having a dork moment

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mossyberg:

If I understand correctly, the length and thread of the Uncle Mikes studs will fit into the exiting holes on my Lux? Is this correct?

I just bought a leather "military" sling that will look snazzy on the Lux, but it was too wide for the CZ sling loops. I am looking for the best way to replace the CZ loops with larger ones.

Thanks!

DAN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Uncle Mike's swivel studs didn't quite fit into the holes on my Lux. Rather than drill out new holes, I simply removed the stock swivels and put the ones that came with my sling in the holes on the stock studs. They fit fine. No rattling to speak of.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can anyone who has tried it tell me if the Uncle Mike's studs are LARGER or SMALLER than the existing screw taps in the stock?

I'm sure the CZ studs are metric, whereas the Uncle Mike's are SAE.

If the Uncle Mike's are only SLIGHTLY larger then they should fit in okay without forcing the wood, but if they're smaller they won't fit solidly and simply won't work.

It's bad enough that the CZ swivel loops are too narrow to accept a standard 1-1/4-inch military sling, but the opening is also too small to allow the hook on the lower part of a one-inch sling to pass through.

I only discovered that, of course, after paying an overpriced $18.95 for a one-inch Uncle Mike's military sling.

Additionally aggravating is the fact that Wally World sells the standard 1-1/4-inch sling, which has better leather than the Uncle Mike's, for about $12.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the $12 Wally World version first :)

I looked at some UM studs today; there appears to be two different thread types in each package that I saw, one "auger" type thread and one machine screw type thread. The studs on the special and lux are the both "auger" type. So I am going to buy a set of loops/swivels and an extra set of studs so I will have a pair of "auger" threaded studs.

I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Appreciate it, new222s. I'll watch for the outcome.

BTW: I love those Wally World slings and have them on most of my rifles.

The only problem I've found with them is the hooks don't come angled down like those on a really authentic military sling and have a tendency to slip loose.

I put mine in a vise, bent them down a little with a pair of lineman's pliers and now they work fine.

If the UM studs work I'll get 1-1/4-inch UM Quick-Detach swivels for the CZ and use that overpriced one-inch UM sling on something else.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Loon,

I am in the process of doing the same thing to mount a 1" QD sling on my Ultralux..

Here's how I would do it.I would buy a complete Uncle Mike's 1 1/4" QD stud and swivel packge for bolt guns.This is the model that has the wood srew rear stud and the machine screw and threaded eshutcheon at the front post(to prevent it pulling out later).

The UM item # for this is 10013,according to Uncle Mike's web site.

Grafs in MO( grafs.com ) is a GREATsource for stuff like this.Their price is only $8.99 for the whole setup.They charge a flat $4-5 service charge for packing-no shipping added.They also have a great selection of hard to find Lapua.RWS,Eley and Fiocchi rimfire ammo !! You could maybe combine the sling studs with an ammo order to cut down on the shipping for the swivels...

It's what I do..........

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cherokee100,

Thanks for your fix and time, I'll do as you recommend. I have a Military Turner sling which I love and need to be able to switch it from one rifle to another instead of buying a sling for each rifle.

Thanks again.

BBC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.