Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this forum so I dont know if this has been addressed or not. I recently bought my first Ruger 10/22, all weather model with the stainless barrel and black synthetic stock. This stock did not come with swivels or even a place to install swivels for a sling. Any reccomendations on how to go about making this gun "sling ready". Im a bit aprehensive about drilling the original stock, but it looks like thats what it may come to.

Also, I have been browsing for replacement stocks to give my 10/22 more of a "tactical" look:Blasting_ I really would like something in a black synthetic, possibly with a folding stock, or pistol grip. There are sooo many kinds out there! Keeping within a budget of about $60, what would you reccomend I check out or avoid. Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have the same "All Weather" 10/22 as you sixer and I drilled the stock for a sling. I got an Uncle Mikes Stainless Steel sling swivel kit, but removed the barrel band and used the 2 studs instead using the band swivel base.

- First....find center and 2 to 2-1/2" forward of your butt plate.
- Mark a small "X"with a pencil
- Drill a countersink hole with a 7/32" and drill to a depth of 1/8"
- Then...drill in the same hole to a depth of 3/8" with a 5/32" drill bit.
- Turn your stud in slowly using a small nail or pin punch threw the stud hole.
- Repeat the above for the front of the stock but only 1 to 1-1/2" in from front

I've also put a sling on my Marlin 25MN and my Weatherby XXII .

After the first one, their a breeze.....:p

·
Registered
304 Posts
Recently bought a 10/22 stainless and turned to drilling holes in the synthetic stock. Wish i would've found SS studs like Neonbee, but the blued steel don't look bad either. I applied a small bit of JB Weld to the studs before screwing them in...

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I've never done a 10/22 but I have a Remington 597's plastic stock. I just used standard sling swivles from Wally World. Uncle Mikes I guess. I was going to put epoxy on the studs but never did.

Works just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate the info fellas. Went to WM last night and picked up some Uncle Mike's sling swivels. Neonbee, your detailed instructions are great and the guns look awesome! I'll get the drill out tonight and see what happens. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to make the very same post, as I just picked up a basic 10/22 that needs swivels put in as well. It's almost a psychic forum! Thanks for the info and excellent pictures! :bthumb:

The barrel band can just be left off then? What's it's purpose then?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What can I "fill" the holes with ?
Tom
I would consider using Bondo. It sounds like it would do the trick with a bit of light sanding and black paint. However I am no expert by any stretch. I too would be interested in the best way to fill those holes.

PS If you need somebody to take those studs off your hands let me know:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.