Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Slide Popping Off

548 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  1917-1911M
Hi all,

I did a search so forgive me if this question/problem has been addressed before. I couldn't find info about it.

Anyways, when the P22s first hot the stores, my father and I each bought a 5 inch model. They were the first two in the store ("AB dates codes so 2001). So needless to say these are early model ones.

Mine has always been VERY picky about ammo and not feeding some ammo. The new mags helps some. What is unusula from what I have read is that my p22 will always fire subsonic ammo. Other than that, it has been pretty good. Ditto for my fathers.

Last weekend we went out shooting. His P22 was having serious problems. Every few rounds, the slide would go too far back and actually come up and off the guides locking the gun up. I haven't been able to find any information about P22s coming apart when firing like this.

I was suspecting the slide lock pull down was maybe getting bumped so we taped that up. It still happened.

Any ideas? With the problems we have had (both are too picky about ammo) and now his slide coming off, we are thinking of ditching these pistols.

I am used to pistols functioning flawlessly and not having to "tweek" them to get them to function properly. I have a Ruger P89 with over 20K rounds through. I have NEVER had any round not chamber, fire and eject. I have a Glock20. NEVER had a problem (only 2500 round into it) even shooting VERY hot loads (135grs over 1700ft/sec). HKs that I have same thing. XD and Colts. Same. The ONLY pistol that won't fire alot of the time is this p22. Ok. That was just a rant. But if the slides are coming off, that isn'ta good thing.

Any ideas on what is causing the slide to come off would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Dana
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Not to be a wise a--, but have you tried contacting the factory? (S&W) Perhaps they have a solution/upgrade for your problems. Feeding, slide etc. I would think that they'd like to keep you from getting a face full of slide from one of their guns..

· Registered
296 Posts
Slide stop

THe only way that could happen is if the slide stop were damaged. The slide impacts the plastic and no further backward motion. Does it appear to have any wear on it?

· Premium Member
8,010 Posts
I've read the entire Walther section of this forum and I haven't seen this problem posted before. The additional distance the slide moves when the takedown lever is pulled down to disengage the slide grooves from the rails is appx 1/8". Not much distance.

Either the grooves/rails are worn (shortened, rounded off or something) or the slide stop/takedown lever portion inside the slide spring cover is worn, or broken. I'm assuming the slide has no cracks. There are plenty of pictures of what a properly functioning gun, rails, takedown, etc. look like. I believe the rails are just a little over an inch long.

BTW, the modifications to the test gun have made it as reliable as my Ruger.
It rarely fails to fire in any situation just like the Ruger. No slide hang up, very, very rare that a round doesn't fire on the first hammerfall, ejection not as good as Ruger but I'm working on it. Walther mags much easier to load.

Inspect the rails between the two guns side by side, then inspect the takedown lever internals for wear. The problem has to be one or the other. Keep us posted, we like to hear and solve these types of things. 1911M

· Registered
1,284 Posts
1917-1911M said:
LTRiker, how are you feeling and recovering. Keep us posted if you feel up to it, we're all still pulling for you to make a complete recovery. 1911M
I am feeling better...got out sat and ran 100 rds thru the P22...finishing off some Rem that I laying about...got a FULL CASE of Dynapoints that will be run thru NEXT...I have s friend coming by and we are going to disassemble the TAC^% can(first time)...I will get some pix fo the internals while teardown is progressing...remember there are close to 20K rds thru this can W/O a cleaning...I was afraid I was losing some "quiet" by it being full of crud...I can actually 'see" it while looking thru it, but have been unable to get a good clear pic of what I am seeing...

I think this P22 may have a broken part in the takedown area allowing the slide to move rearward toooo far...

· Premium Member
8,010 Posts
Well DANA 944 Turbo, what did you find out about that slide jumping off. Was the takedown lever in the take down position, loose so it dropped out of position? Ever figure it out? My STI Turbo is waiting to meet you on the street. 1911M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.