Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a jones for a pump, and just a little money.

So far, in my price range, I've come across:

--used (hard) Rossi for $150.
--High Standard Sport King pump for $100. Also used hard.
--Remington 572 for $200 (with a crappy scope that the seller won't take off.)

I'm familiar with the workings of the Rem. but I can't find anything on the High Standard.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle?

(I'm talking plinker here, not smallbore silhouette.) :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
The High Standard is a good gun but if it's been rode hard remember spare parts are hard to get and sometimes the barrel gets sloppy in the reciever.If you're willing to go a hair higher I'd look for a Savage 29 otherwise a good used 572 sounds nice.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have an old 572. The stock was about as pretty as the north end of a south bound hog and I got real tired of looking at it. I finally refinished it and now I got an awfully nice looking rifle. This rifle seems oddly easy to shoot straight. It just points naturally for me. The action is really smooth and the rife has reliably fired about anything I've put in it, admitting that I haven't tried many different kinds of ammo. I can't remember ever having any jams in the past few years I've owned it. If you do buy it, ditch the scope. A rifle like that is much more fun to shoot with open sights. Even better than that, get a receiver peep! :t

Of the three brands mentioned, Remington has the best reputation IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.