Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of people feel soo differently about what's the minimum to use for hunting, dispatching yotes, or just putting the lights out on a sick farm animal.

In the case of a sick farm animal what is the minimum you would use for to end it's life at 2 ft away:

maybe a .22lr , .22 mag, or more
a pig?
goat?
horse?
bull?

·
Registered
23 Posts
expeditionx said:
In the case of a sick farm animal what is the minimum you would use for to end it's life at 2 ft away:

maybe a .22lr , .22 mag, or more
a pig?
goat?
horse?
bull?
Hello I bet they have all been done with 22LR. Have to shoot sheep regularily with .22LR. Less mess and grusome than knife. During a recent drought and recession for humane reasons 1000's of sheep where shot in pens range up to 5m. The blokes using them wore out two semi auto rifles. Apparently the barrels got very hot.
When shooting sheep the 22LR works well but occasionaly an old ram will have battle thickened skull and will require a couple of shots to work out where the bullet can still penetrate to the brain. If this happens on a ram then I don't think I would use the .22LR for horse and bull. IMO the 22Mag is faster but a similar constructed bullet. I would use .223 and up or even a shotgun at close range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a farm kill butcher here locally that uses a 22lr for dispatching steers. Never seen him do a bull so I don't know if he ups the ante on them or not but he has dropped some very large steers with his 22lr.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My bro' over in NZ used an Anshutz in 22lr to kill steers in a crush at point blank range for a university study some years ago.
He was the only shooting/firearm type guy in the faculty, so guess who got the job....
He just waited until they looked him straight in the eye and Whack!
He got quite good at it.
He destroyed several dozens and it knocked them down every time, no problems.

Hey Robe280, I see you're located in Adelaide. Me too sort of, Barossa/Hills actually.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i must admit useing the 22 on sheep is better, cutting their throats makes me go green!

a family member reguraly shoots dog tucker horses without a problem. however i have know one person who shot a young bull at point blank range. it hit the ground, then after a sec, got up, smashed through the yards and ran to the end of the farm smashing every possible fence!

·
Registered
169 Posts
as usual, shot placement is everything. With horses, bulls, cows draw a line from the right eye to left ear and from left eye to the right ear; where the two lines cross is the brain.

.22LR will work at point-blank range. If the bull in question is not fond of the idea and keeps you 20 to 40 yds away then you will need a magnum. A hornet works very well out to 100yds.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Monkeyman said:
as usual, shot placement is everything. With horses, bulls, cows draw a line from the right eye to left ear and from left eye to the right ear; where the two lines cross is the brain.
That's what the book said to do with pigs and it works. The guy shooting the pigs we butchered used a Marlin .22mag from less than 5 feet. We also slit the throats though. Used the .22mag to knock them silly and flat on their backs and then quick over the fence with the knife. I have been told of farm butchers using a .22 lr but they usually shot the animal behind the ear. I would be leary of shooting a horse in the forehead. I would think behind the ear would be better but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
tweak'e said:
a horse is no problem....pigs however have a VERY tough thick skull and a 22mag is the minimum for head shots at very close range exspecially when you could be the pigs next meal !
I have to disagree with the above statement due to the experiences I have had growing-up next to a farm. We always used a .22 short to take care of the pigs. Never had to shoot one twice I might add.

Personally, either myself, my Dad or my Uncle together have dispatched pigs numbering in the hundreds with the short or even the 22 LR if we were out of shorts.

I have always been a huge fan of the 22 short and have used it to take the same kind of game that I have with the 22 LR.

Without doing a huge repost, here is a thread discussing my experiences with the lowly 22 short:

Thread on the 22 short:

Don't get me wrong, I love the LR as well. Put a bullet where it counts, it will do the job everytime.

Frosty

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
mayby your pigs are on the small side, different breed??.i don't know. there is a story in a local mag about someone who shot up a pig with 22lr while out rabbit shooting. the bullet that killed it went through the lungs, all the bullets that hit the head bounced off the skull. don't forget where talking about an animal that will bite through a wire fence and smash clean through gates. i've had a few reports of them surviving head shots from small centrefire rounds.

when you have one of those big boars charging you, you better not only have a 22lr let alone a 22 short.

edit: sorry i forgot to put that farm pigs are a different breed to wild ones.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If i were to do it, i would use a mag, simply because i have no experience on this. After i killed a few and did an autopsy on the head to see where was the good spot to hit, maybe i'd drop down in ammo power. Definitely have to so some reading and see a few diagrams on this before i used a normal .22lr.

·
Registered
436 Posts
expeditionx said:
Alot of people feel soo differently about what's the minimum to use for hunting, dispatching yotes, or just putting the lights out on a sick farm animal.

tweak'e said:
mayby your pigs are on the small side, different breed??.i don't know. there is a story in a local mag about someone who shot up a pig with 22lr while out rabbit shooting. the bullet that killed it went through the lungs, all the bullets that hit the head bounced off the skull. don't forget where talking about an animal that will bite through a wire fence and smash clean through gates. i've had a few reports of them surviving head shots from small centrefire rounds.

when you have one of those big boars charging you, you better not only have a 22lr let alone a 22 short.
We get some that go well over 400 plus pounds. I believe the question was using a round from less than 2 feet away, not a running, charging boar in the wild.

The person that "shot up" a pig while rabbit hunting, obviously doesn't know about the round limitations and deserved exactly what he/she got.

I have shot and killed pigs while squirrel hunting, but have picked my shots very carefully. Broadside and right into the ear or just behind it will kill the pig. Other than that, I won't shoot it in the wild with a rimfire unless I can put the bullet straight into the brain.

So back to the question and range of 2 feet or less, the short and the LR round will dispatch the animal quickly on the farm, of that I am certain because I have done it too many times and seen it done hundreds of times...

Frosty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.