Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am interested in picking up a single six, I want about a 6 1/2" barrel. I am wondering if there is anything key to look for other than low rounds and clean? New model/old model? Anything to look out for when shopping around? I will most likely be buying used.

When I was in AK I stumbled on a sweet deal and bought one, but my buddy always loved it. seems his grandpa had one but it went to his older brother, so I sold him mine. Now I am regreting the sale and want to get a nice one for myself.

I do love the look of this one

Any info is appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have one like pictured above except 5 1/2" barrel. It shoots very well for me with the 22lr cylinder which is great since that is what I use 99% of the time.

The stainless versions are all steel where the blued have aluminum grip frames and ejector rod housings. The Bisley does have a blued steel gripframe. I just like the all steel better myself.

As long as you find a used example that looks like it was taken care of you will probably be good to go.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
[I am wondering if there is anything key to look for other than low rounds and clean?]

"low rounds" doesn't matter, as they are hell-for-stout, and not prone to shooting loose.

"clean" also doesn't matter, except - accept no rust, hacksawn barrels or fooled-with or banged-up gripframes.

Walk away from any seller who starts talking about how "rare' or "collectible", the particular SS being sold, is.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Pete44ru pretty much sums it up. If the revolver look like it is pretty good shape, it probably is. I have a blued N6. Great shooting revolver.

One of my few regrets in gun purchases was that, at a gun show, a used stainless single six was sitting beside a new Walther P22, both at the same (good ) price. My regret is that I didn't buy the single six along with or instead of the P22.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some of what I've learned.

I picked up a used SS 61/2" about a year ago. It is a new model made in 1975 so it is what they call pre warning . That means that it doesn't have a ton of writing on the barrel. I like it! I haven't gone out shooting without it since I got it. Be careful though, these things are addictive! I found a three screw old model in the long barrel. I like it also. I think the action is a litle smooter on the old model, mine was made in 1971. But there is the fact that if the gun is not converted, you can have a safety problem carrying. The problem is aleviated by keeping 5 rounds in instead of 6, resting the hammer on an open chamber. I'm trying to decide whether to get another new model with the transfer bar,in a shorter barrel length. Or, look for another old model and carry it with 5 instead of six. I'll probably get another blued gun, but the stainless is so nice because you dont have to worry about wiping it down after you take it out. There is just something about a blued gun that I like. That being said, my primary backcountry gun, 3" SP 101 is nice for the fact that you don't have to worry about it rusting. Makes a nice fishing/exploring partner.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excelent info gents, Thank you.

Yeah, I really regret selling the one I had but I could really see my good friend pine away over that one. It was an OLD 61/2 barrel (I think), some wear from use but as smooth as can be and a sweet shooter.

I really like the look of the stainless, but I will get whatever I can get the best deal on, there is a used blue 6 1/2 in town that is a good deal, and I have made an offer on a stainless that will keep me around a so so deal on that one with the ffl fee and shipping. We will see.

One more question, adjustable sights? is that a standard feature on the new models or is that something else to watch for. I definitely want adjustasble sights.
I am about to order up a spring kit for the trigger, and a Ruger holster if I can find one. Hopefully everything will show up together. I missed out on that seeety in the classifieds the other day, tuned trigger/holster and all :mad: , oh well. I will find one SOON.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Adjustable sights

I've never seen a stainless Single Six with fixed sights, however that doesn't mean that they aren't out there. I think some of the blued steel models (New model, maybe aniversary) have fixed sights. For AK, I'd really think hard about stainless. Good luck in your search! Semper Paratus!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Single Six

I recommend 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 blue or stainless -
whichever one you can lay hands on.

It's a great little gun. It's FUN to shoot. It will shoot ANYthing
labeled 22LR or 22 Magnum.

Did I mention they are fun to shoot??

I got one December last year. I bought it from the original owner.
He bought it new in 1978. He fired it once or twice and put it
away into a zipper case. Now it is mine. I have original sales reciept,
original registration card, two cylinders, etc. for the grand sum of
$175.00.

Keep your eyes peeled, shooters.
I think myself very lucky to have found it.

And apparently (must be an RFC thing) you can customize them, too.:cool:

Thom T

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Single Six with 9.5 inch "Buntline" barrel.....I love it! Never a hiccup with this revolver.....shoots anything LR or Mag.....is more accurate than I am.....and the longer the barrel, the better! I have taken some coyotes with this with the Magnum cylinder....great fun.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I've got a 50th anniversary Single Six that has fixed sights, but I think most, if not all of the "regular" (for lack of a better term) ones have adjustable ones. I kinda like the fixed one myself. Gives it a little more of that cowboy look, but no doubt the adjustable ones are better for shooting.

With it's little brother, the Bearcat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mike,your kind deed for your friend will return to you ten fold.Buy and enjoy the Single Six that you decide on.Any and all are great shooting,fun guns.I have an old model 3 screw convertible that shoots both .22LR and .22 Mag. equally well.I've been told that this is the exception rather than the rule.YMMV.Good luck on your quest.tom.:bthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.