Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got around to chrono-graphing my single six with a number of cartridges today. The cylinder gap is a snug .003" with for the LR and .005" for the mag, barrel length is 6.5 inches. The following are six shot averages, some of the ammos I don't know the bullet weight so it's left off. Hopefully the forum will let me keep formatting in place.

22WMR cylinder
FPS- Weight- Energy- description
1547-*30 - 159.5 CCI Maximag+V HP (*actual weight on bullet tested.)
1347- 40 - 161.2 CCI Maximag TMJ
1424- 40 - 180.2 Winchester SuperX HP

22LR
1060- 37 - 92.3 Winchester SuperX HVHP
973- 40 - 84.1 " SuperX HV
973- 40 - 84.1 " Dynapoint(Current run is identical load to SuperX HV)
1351- 30 - 121.6 Aguila Supermax
1347- 32 - 129 CCI stinger
1164- 40 - 120.4 CCI Mini Mag
936- 29 - 56.4 CCI CB short
1101- 40 - 107.7 Fedral Lightning
1059- 36 - 89.7 " Wallys bulk pack

This chart has been updated with more info. Overall I think the performance was better than anticipated. I was led to believe that revolvers losses were worse than they actually seem to be. Many of these ammos are off by less than thirty percent of there out of rifle power levels. (Read that as balistically = to ammo from a rifle at fifteen yards or so.)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Very interesting results!

Running my Single Six's was on my to do list untill my chrony started acting up. What I find most interesting is that the mag figures are only 10-12% less than I clocked out of my 20" marlin barrels. I would have guessed velocity loss would be higher based on the muzzle flash ou get out of one of these suckers!

FWIW, My Single Six's seem to like heavier bullets in the Mag cyl. 40's are good 50 even better but they drop fast.
ALSO FWIW, if memory serves ( and sometimes it doesn't) those CCI +V's are 33 gr.

Good info, thanks for shareing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The effect of velocity of a bullets energy is sqared, compared with the weight which increases energy in a linear fasion. Anotherwords 12% less velocity may be like 30% less energy was imparted to the bullet durings it's acceleration.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chart is updated and completed. Wee Hooker, Like I said the performance was better than I expected, I have a pretty good set of data provided by a member of another forum for a 5.5" single six. None of the figures produced conflict with his data, everything is a bit stronger out of the 6.5" barrel, nothing out of line though.
MikeL the CB short spits the bullet out at decent speed to be sure, but it's a fairly light bullet at the lightest of the bunch, and does come out with the lowest energy of the lot too, no surprise there either really.
Finally a note is that a person mailed me the weight of the maximag +v it's supposedly listed at 33 grains, I just happened to be measuring that very bullet when the email came. I'll go by the real weight, not what it's "supposed to be." I suppose they could have made a Maximag+V in a solid bullet that'd be 33 grains? Curiously that CCI +V bullet is indeed the fastest of the lot, but not the most powerful by a long shot with it's light duty bullet. The winchester 22wmr SuperX HP is by far the best value for power, with strong velocity and a hefty jacketed bullet with exposed lead tip for mean expansion. Now I'll find out if it shoots accurate for me before too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.