Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Single-Shot vs. 5 Shot Mag

637 Views 9 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  sharkman8810
Besides the obvious, what are the pros and cons of both? We're talking about basically the same make and style rifle. Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
732 Posts
With the magazine fed rifle, if you lose the magazine it's very hard to load single shots.

With my bolt action rifles, I load single shot anyway. There's no real speed advantage overall when you consider the time it takes to loading a magazine.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Well, it depends on the rifle whether it is hard to load or not. I have a single-shot adapter for my CZ Scout which is not trouble at all. Lay the shell on the groove and the bolt runs it right up.

Don't know about other rifles.

· Registered
4,190 Posts
Allot of single shot rifles are easy to load because they have a trough you just drop the bullet into. It becomes second nature quickly once you own one. There are also arguments (not saying I subscribe) that loading singe shot keeps the bullet from getting deformed on the mag/ ramp because it goes right into teh chamber. I personally like a (quality) single shot becasue they make you slow down just a tad and enjoy the whole process. ( My most expensive rimfire is a single shot Anshutz target rifle)

Single shot flavors definitly have a place in teaching shooting dicipline.

· Registered
127 Posts
Well I like a 5 shot mag better personally. Just seems more convienent to me especially in situations where you might want to take another shot fairly quickly. You can always buy like 5 or 6 mags and carry them all loaded say if you were varmint hunting or shooting for groups at the range. I wouldn't think that there would be an accuracy difference between the two. One advantage of the single shot though is that its easier and safer to teach people new to guns how to use it.

· Registered
111 Posts
If we are talking about a traditional bolt action rifle and bench shooting, you've got to break away from your body position and sight picture anyway....so using a single shot rifle isn't any real disadvantage to manually chambering the next round. The magazine is only a slight convienience for this type of shooting.

I guess I've gotten spoiled by the EAA Biathlon Basic rifle! While at the bench, I use 5 shot magazines. I've been really happy that I can go through all five shots in the magazine without moving my body position, or losing sight to eye allignment. With this toggle bolt action, all it takes is a flick of your two fingers to extract, eject, and chamber the next round.....really nice! It is nearly comparable to the accuracy afforded by a bolt action to the convienience of a semi automatic rifle.

I suppose there is some truth to the objection of magazines contributing to deforming of the bullet nose. I'm sure it does happen, but not for a properly set up rifle. If I were into competitive bench rest slow fire shooting, I guess I might prefer a single shot rifle for this purpose....just to eliminate any possibility that this sort of thing may happen.

hog

· Registered
2,412 Posts
It really all depends on the type of shooting you do.

I mostly target shoot, and have either single shot rifles, or single shot adapters for most of my rifles.

Plinking, and blasting is just plain fun, but you really need a repeater for that, 5 or 10 shot mags.

Hunting? There's a very large group that is of the one shot, one kill mind set. A quick followup shot is often very poorly placed, if it hits at all. Personally, I'd rather ensure my first shot does the job and not hope a quick second one is lucky enough to do the job the first deliberate one failed at.

Dangerous game? Think I'd want at least a 2nd shot available to me were I ever to try that form of hunting.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
I like the 5 rounders like a cz type or the ruger style mags. When hunting it isnt for fast reloading, but it gets tough to reload with gloves on etc, and handeling .22lr shells with gloves really stinks. If you have multiple squirrels around in the cold using subs you can be quiet enough and keep movement down if you use a repeater than all the fiddeling with a single shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.