Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Single Round Magazine???

560 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  plarkinjr
So, I ran across this 1-round magazine from Ruger:

http://shopruger.com/10_22-77_22-BX-1-1-One-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90344/

Is it a real mag that holds only accepts one round? (what's the use of that???) Or is it kind of a single-fire loading device? Such this device for a Garand...

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/m1sled/m1sled.htm

...or this for AR15s...

http://www.dctechs.com/obspage.htm

Does anyone know of a device that helps single-load rounds thru the ejection port?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Single Shot Magazine for Range Rule compliance ?

I would expect it's to help folks comply with range / event rules that only allow single rounds to be loaded. Prove to the Range Officer you are using these, and you can have several singles load, fire, remove and show clear after each shot.

Any loading from a magazine will introduce all of the inherent issues related to positioning the round, sliding it up the ramp, and possibility deforming the bullet as it is pushed into the chamber.

I doubt this will increase or change accuracy in any way… should behave just like a 10 shot with one bullet...

Want to single load via the breach for accuracy, buy a bolt gun....

· Registered
5,382 Posts
P,
As the ad itself said, it's ideal for training. You can only shoot one round if that's all there is in the magazine, and with this particular magazine, it's impossible to pick up one that's fully loaded.

Single shot mags are ideal for introducing a rifle to someone who hasn't shot before, and may get all excited and pull the trigger repeatedly, spraying the target, or worse, the firing line.

Another use, for those people who just can't keep their fingers off the trigger, it gives them the control to slow their shots down, since there's only one round. You have to remove the mag from the rifle each time you want to shoot it.

I have a single shot adapter for my 93R17 BTVS .17HMR. I need to get one for my Mark II, but I'm pretty much in control over how fast I shoot.

I will admit though, there are times when I want to shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger, just for the 'rush' that goes along with it. Of course, our range as a two second rule for each round, so that's a help in controlling it, too. :)

Gary

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I want to load via breach to practice service rifle competition drills. That involve single loading, as well as rapid fire with reload stages. I can load from the breach, no problem... just wondered if there was a device that made it a little easier. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
88 Posts
I dont understand why if someone wanted such a device they wouldnt just save their money and only put one rnd in the mag at a time. If its for training purposes say a small child well their should be someone training said child in wich should only be giving them one round at a time anyway.

I think its a pointless waste of money and if you think you want it to slow down your time between shots than try learning self control...

This is all just my opinion and I am saying this knowing I am both niether wrong or correct. Just a simple opinion.....
I think its crap and a waste of money....
But I am sure many will disagree and I am ok with that as you are all entitled to your opinion.

· Registered
5,382 Posts
Harry,
I don't disagree with you at all. But, there are people who will buy them.

P,
The thing with the Garand is the way it's loaded, it's very easy to insert a round into the chamber and release the bolt. Trying to do the same with a 10/22 or an AR is going to be difficult at best, and downright a pain in the butt in most cases.

If you want to practice on a semi auto, I really don't know what to tell you to use. Good luck!

Gary

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harry,
The thing with the Garand is the way it's loaded, it's very easy to insert a round into the chamber and release the bolt. Trying to do the same with a 10/22 or an AR is going to be difficult at best, and downright a pain in the butt in most cases.

If you want to practice on a semi auto, I really don't know what to tell you to use. Good luck!

Gary
Thanks for the encouragement....

single-loading a Garand can be a pain in the THUMB without a SLED.

and at Perry this year, I fired a NM AR15 on an abbreviated service rifle course of fire... single-loading for the first time (I've never done that with my own AR). It *IS* a pain; I had at least 2 rounds pop out of the chamber onto the ground. That said, most shooters at Perry had ARs, and the majority of the fire is single-loaded slowfire, so the top shooters have it down.

I'll probably just practice those drills with dummy rounds and dry fire.... or pantomime the motions in live slow fire on the 10/22. Or both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.