Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a new member and waiting for the brown truck to deliver my Simmons 800116 scope. I have a CZ Special 22 (CZ 452-2E ZKM) and would like your help selecting a scope mount. I hope I've given you enough infomation. I bought this scope because of the comments here on this site. Thanks :D

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What is the outer diameter of the objective bell? Is the shape and length similar to the Simmons 1048 (6.5-20x44AO)?

With the Special you have the rear sight base to contend with. To get a big scope to clear the base requires:

- getting it high enough
- putting the objective in front of the base
- taking out the rear sight and fitting the scope behind the sight base.

I doubt the 3rd option will work with the 800116 but the second might. To get the scope high enough requires either really high rings (see-through rings tend to have the height). I made some mount adapters last year that added about 1/2 inch to the top of the receiver - they were great for the Special. I don't have any available right now.

As far as rings go your best fit will be with rings designed to fit the 11mm/60 degree dovetail:

- Beeman 5030H (0.75 inches)
- Millett CZ ZKM High (0.7 inches)
- B-Square 11mm Airgun (adjustable with 10mm riser) (0.7 inches)
- BKL 257 (~0.63 inches)
- CZ (0.625 inches)

I'm sorry I am not familiar enough with the 800116 to give the thumbs up or down on any of the rings mentioned. There are ways to calculate the height needed to get the scope clear but at some point you have to get your rings and try them out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have the scope in a couple of days and will know the dimensions then. I believe the length is just over 17 inches, so I'm looking at mounting the objective in front of the rear sight. You have listed several options to try that fit the dovetail and that will make the task much easier. THANKS! I have just one question: what are some of the " ways to calculate the height needed to get the scope clear"? Any links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed a Simmons 4x12x44AO scope, with the BKL rings, and the scope fits right behind the rear sight base with the blade removed. I lucked out, and the eye relief was set right. The scope's model number WTC17. The diameter of the adjustable objective lense seems to be much larger than a normal 44mm objective lens. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 800116 is a long scope. It is 17 inches long (without the sunshade). I have one mounted on a CZ Varmint model using BKL 274A (offset) rings. I also have a CZ Special which has a Tasco Mag 4 6-24x44AO scope in BKL 257A rings. I compared the two side by side. You should be able to use either the of these BKL rings with the 800116. The objective bell will be in front of the rear sight base. (You may have to remove the sight assembly from the base.) For the price, I would use the 257A's.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Ways to calculate ring height

Quick and dirty method:

- diameter of the thickest part of scope (objective bell outer diameter)
- subtract diameter of scope tube (1 inch / 25.4 mm in most cases)
- divide result by 2
- add the clearance you want (0.0625-0.125 inches or 2-3mm should be fine)

For a scope with a 52mm OD objective:

((52mm - 25.4mm) / 2) + 3mm = ((26.6mm) / 2) + 3mm = ((13.3mm)) + 3mm = 16.3mm

16.3mm is about 0.64 inches so you would need rings that add at least 0.64 inches to the height of the receiver.

To get a better figure you need to look at the geometry of the barrel and where the objective will be. Most receivers have a step down to the barrel and many barrels have a taper that will leave more space for a scope. To adjust for these features you should:

- place a straightedge on top of the receiver to provide a reference line.
- measure the gap where the largest part of the objective will be.
- subtract the gap from the ring height calculated using the "Q&D" approach.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
BKL 257's should work fine with the 800116, which is 8-32X44mm. That'a a long scope and the objective bell should sit forward of the rear sight. I have a BSA 36X 44mm scope (alittle shorter than the Simmons 800116) in BKL 257's mounted on an Ultra LUX and no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.