Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sights on Gov. Model

752 7
Could anyone tell me who the mfg, is for the sights on the Gov. Model. Also would appreciate any feedback from any that use this gun with the supplied sights. Ive been thinking of getting one , and would want to use the aperature sights.
It would seem that this would be a desirable gun to bench, but you never see anyone doing that. If you go to benchrest central and mention a Kimber, they react like you threw dirt in someones face. Ive got an older Kimber and the fit , finish and workmanship is outstanding, its a sporter, and shoots very well for a light little rifle. I just wonder why its not really thought of as a desirable gun by most folks here and benchrest central. Any thoughts and observations would be appreciated.

Jerry
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kimber Govn't

Hi Jerry, I just got my 82 Government a couple of days ago. My sights have an Australian sticker on them, and from what I've read they were a subcontract item with Kimber of Oregon. My manual states they are 1/5 MOA for windage and elevation. Just ran a test on seven different brands of ammo on it, from a bench, and found mine likes Eley EPS. This even did better than Eley Tenex, by an 1/8" at 50 yds and 1/2" at 100 yds. Go figure. I marked the receiver rail for sight location, took the rear sight off, tossed it in the air for good measure and put it back on, and it returned to exactly where the shot group had been. Very happy with the gun. Good shooting, Ted

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shooter

Sounds like she's a shooter, did you get yours from CMP, or an individual? Ive been looking at these for some time, but never had my hands on one. I have a Kimber of Oregon Blue Mountain Classic, and its a nice little rifle, but I like the open sights, and need more weight for the offhand shooting I like to do in addition to bench. Thanks for the info,

Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
More on the Government

Hi Jerry, I picked mine up from a fella online, and I think he bought it at a gun show in TX. I'd been looking for a loooong time for one at a reasonable price, as I don't belong to a club that can meet CMP's requirements. Finally, someone needing the money more than the rifle, and lucky timing, paid off. It is heavy and very well balanced and settles in just right for offhand shooting, even without a "target" butt plate it doesn't want to creep off of the shoulder. Trigger is like breaking glass and is set at 2.5 lbs.. With the limited time I have for shooting, I don't think I'll be able to aquire the skill needed to outshoot this gun and move on to something else, and I'm already a pretty high level intermediate. A nice rifle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a govt model, and have just recently acquired it. I have had 2, 10 shot groups at 50 yards inside of 5/8". Others have been worse, it seems head postition is very critical to these sights. I have come to really like the sights the more I use them, they really grow on you. I also have a Win, model 75 with the peeps on it, and they are not the quality you find on the Kimber. I have been shooting CCI green label in it, as Eley is hard to come by here in the town where I live, and haven't ordered any off the net.
Best of Luck
Striker :t

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.