Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen I just purchested a winchester 52 made in 1942 with no sights it has a big dove tail cut in the top of the receiver and has the 2 holes on the left side what would be the model # for a Lyman peep sight that will fit ?.along the top it has 2 mounts of some kind for a scope i guess with deep 1/2 moon cuts in the side and the front sight appears to be a Lyman tube with a insert in it that comes out. now will it hurt the rifle to shoot shorts in it ? it had a 5 round clip in it for shorts not shure if i should use them.shorts that is.clip is stamped Winchester- 69 your help is needed a lot. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I don't own a Win 52, but my H&R M12's are similar in several respects.

Here's a link to Lyman's sight page. If I pick a sight for you and it's the wrong one............:(

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

If the receiver is grooved, scope mounts are a cinch.;)

Those blocks on top of the barrel and receiver are for the older Unertl type scope mounts. If you're interested, I know a guy that makes a very nice mount that replaces those mounts.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/index.html

.22 shorts........ I don't know, but if my mental picture of the LR chamber with a .22 short in it is accurate...... I'd be afraid that shorts would degrade the accuracy potential of the rifle to some degree. :confused:

In any case those are very nice rifles.

·
Registered
741 Posts
52 Sights:

Nimrod; From the date you gave I suspect you have either an A or B model rifle. Check the serial # and see if it has a letter designator in it. I.E. 31416A or-B. Many different receiver sights were made for this rifle. Lyman, Redfield, Vaver, Marble=Goss and Parker Hale (I believe). Knowing the Mod./Ser.# will help in locating the proper one. As to shooting 22Shorts, DON'T!!! If shot excesseivly in a Match LR chamber they will eventually erode the chamber and probably destroy it's accuracy. You can get magazines (LR) from Brownell's. Mac 1.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Win 52 B

It is a 524xx Bv it had something on it b4 there is a small notch of wood missing by the 2 small hols on the left side of receiver. and one other thing the 2 wood screws that attache the sling loop to the stock ,if that is what you call it 1 screw is missing?
Thanks again

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
M52B

Nimrod,

The "2 small holes on the left side of receiver." are for a receiver sight, like a "Redfield" 'Olympic' [~ $125. used] or 'International' [~ $175. used].

Do NOT shoot Shorts in your M52. The magazine with the gun is the wrong magazine, although it fits. The M52, M69, M69A, and M75 all take the same series of magazines. Yours is for the M69 bolt action sporter, and a special for .22 Shorts. Get yourself an 'original' M52 magazine for .22LR.

Good Luck....! ! :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
The aftermarket mags work fine in mine!

Got 2 original Winchester mags as well as 2 of the "W" marked aftermarket specimens that I got from Forrest C. and a 10 shot mag with no markings that I picked up for $19 at a gunshow = all work very well.:t Not only in the 52B, but in the M75 and the old mod 57 as well. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sights:

Nimrod;

Sights that will fit in the large dovetail in the receiver are;

Lyman: #48J, #52 Ext. sight.
Marble-Goss: #MG52, #MG52MS.

Parker Hale: #9.
Redfield: #100A.
Wittek (Vaver): #35-MIELT, #35MIL, #52LT.

These sights are all out of production. You might find one at a gun show. Best bet is a collector/dealer who specializes in old sights. There is a thread on one of the forums that listed names/e-mail addresses of some of them. "Expensive".

If the screw you mentioned is one of the sling swivel base screws you might find a proper match in a regular wood screw.

Hope I've been of some help. Mac 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
H & R Model 12

Jay,
Tell me about the Harrington Richardson Model 12 saw one in a pawn shop the other day, was asking $600.00 for it, had Redfield Olympic front and rear sights and a Harris Bipod. Looked like a 95%'r. Is this a good deal?

Dwight R.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.