Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i hope this was the right forum for this

So i bought a modded 10/22 and my Meuller APV will be here on the 3rd.

I've never owned a rifle before and as such have never sighted in a scope but this weekend will be my first attempt.

I've read a couple articles on how to do it and they all have boresighting as a step. I'm assuming you can't boresight a 10/22 without equipment cause when they discussed doing it without a boresighter it was concerning bolt actions.

I already busted my budget on the rifle/scope so i'd REALLY rather not buy one of those laser boresighter things.

Is it possible to sight in without one....like is it a matter of just taking longer then if you did have one? If so i'm willing to deal with that to save the $45

·
Registered
22 Posts
A boresight gets ya real close for the first shot(s).
Sighting a scope without using a boresight first may take a bit longer.
I've never used a boresight. Just make sure your scope is mounted properly. The scope section will give you pointers.
Besides its fun to shoot and you learn how your scope works. Spend the $45 on ammo.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
The first thing I do to a new 10/22 is drill a cleanout hole in the rear of the receiver so I don't have to clean from the muzzle.Doing this also allows me to bore sight through the hole. Hole is centered .680 in from side and .816 up from bottom.I find a 1/4"hole is fine but could go larger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This posting may be helpful

Make certain your mount screws and ring screws are tight, don't over-torque, however, scope tubes are more sensitive to pressure than you think.

Place the rifle on a solid set of sandbags, or at least as solid as is available. Mount the target not more than 25 yards, maybe even fifteen. Fire three shots, maintaing trigger control, breathing control, etc. Remove as much of the human variable as possible. Note the location of the group.

Then, WITHOUT MOVING THE RIFLE from its firing position, adjust the crosshairs over to the just fired group, assuming it's on paper. Then re-center the crosshairs to your point of aim and fire another three shot group. If you think about it, moving the crosshairs and NOT THE RIFLE to the group, and then re-centering to your firing point, automatically adjusts crosshairs to your aiming point. At that point you can adjust windage and elevation without the just described technique. Just remember that adjusting the crosshairs left will move impact right, crosshairs up will move impact down, and adjust the crosshairs towards the bullet hole. I wish this had been explained to me forty years ago, but it wasn't.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
1) Sandbag the rifle solidly.
2) Set up a LARGE paper target with a 1" spot in the center.
3) Aim at the spot and fire 1 shot. Put a different color spot on the hole.
4) Without moving the rifle, adjust the crosshairs to the new color spot.
5) Re-aim at the target (1st spot) and fire. You should hit it!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have never used a borsight for any rifle scope rimfire of not.

I imagine that they have there uses but I have never felt the need to buy one.

Besides its more fun to spend more trigger time getting your new scope dailed in.:Blasting_

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mounted a scope on my K10/22 and out of the box it was shooting within 4" at about 75 yards. Good enough for me to dial it in pretty quickly. Boresighting just gives an idea, and out of the box your new scope shouldn't be too off target, at least not in a way which anyone could get hurt if you know your surroundings. Take the time to adjust it just right, if you use a lot of ammo it's fine, at least it's only a .22 and not something with $3.50/shell ammo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sighting scope..

Lucky- your best bet for sighting in will be to begin close- a large piece of paper with spot marked from about 25 feet with solid rest. Hit the mark, then back up to 100 fet or more and check again,making elevation correcions. Get a group that satisfies you, then find an ammo your rifle likes and get tight groups.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Boresighters are overrated. Aim at a dirt clod or piece of debris on the berm. I can always get it really close within 3-5 shots. Fine tune on a sight-in target with a 1" grid.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I start with a bit of cheap ammo so Im not wasting good stuff on the dirt. I set my scope to the lowest setting possible and fire at the dirt in the back stop. I adjust the scope until I am within a couple inches and then move to paper and fine tune from there. I have a boresighter and personally think it is a waste. If I were shooting ammo that cost a ton or ammo that kicked like a mule then it may be useful but shooting 22lr is fun and cheap.

·
X-Mod
19,547 Posts
I aim at something in the dirt berm at a lower power and dial over to the crater. This get's me on the paper fast enough.

What can I say, I'm cheap! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.