Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

SIG Mosquito review up at SIG Forum

3872 Views 25 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Bastropjim
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,319 Posts
I've been looking forward to getting more info on the Mosquito - I thought it would be my next pistol.

Zinc slide? Very mediocre accuracy? I couldn't really tell about the accuracy from the report but the factory test target at 15 meters isn't real great. I know it's not intended to be a target gun.

I'll hold out till I get more information - I'm glad I never bought a P22 so I'll let some others try the Mosquito and report.

34,874 Posts
I am a SIG fan even though I don't own one (been wanting a 239 for years). But heck, Sig is KNOWN for being accurate. The factory target doesn't look good to me. Zinc slide? Yeck!! My Ruger just put 10 Fed Champions into .6" at 25 yds. With 68 cent per box ammo. I don't think this one Sig that I'll save up for. It's kinda cute in a ugly sort of way (sort of like a Pug dog you know).

Think I'll save for the 239 instead. I just can't see spending that kind of money on something that can't shoot better than that. Too bad.

· Registered
7,285 Posts
I'm going to sit back and wait a while before buying.

I'm going to hold off for a while and see what the general consensus is after about 6 months. Right now, with only 2 reviews, it just appears to be an improved version of a P22. I hope I'm wrong...it is a SIG.

· Registered
1,319 Posts
The new Sig sounds a bit fussy about what ammo it functions best with, that's not surprising. Which ammo it functions with and is most accurate will no doubt be reported over time.

I have a Sig 228 - it's a great gun - it has an alloy frame and steel slide not zinc. Zinc? I have lawn sprinklers that are cast zinc. I don't have any zinc guns. How does zinc wear?

I haven't ruled out the Mosquito but the accuracy and the zinc thing has dampened my enthusiasm.

· Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know how the barrel is attached. Is it like the P22 and has a barrel nut? I have a Gemtech Seahunter suppressor and would like to use it on the Mosquito also. Do you have to thread the barrel if so do you guys think you can use the P22 adapter?

· Registered
84 Posts
The Zinc slide is all that I can think about. The good I will never see. It will be interesting to see how these things hold up with use. It looks unusually "cheap".
Having had fun with Sig in the past with a P239, I know their factory targets are a load of crap too. My P239 was shooting ALL over the paper. Others shot it before I sent it off with the same or WORSE results. Came back from Sig (after I PAID for shipping both ways) with nothing done to it, and a target that was even more ridiculous. I never shot it after getting it back from SigArms due to disgust with the whole thing, I quickly traded it off.
The Mosquito in my opinion is Sig selling an inferior product and using their name to sell it when it is of a lower quality than other products they make that has the name SigSauer on it. The quality just isn't there in the "Mosquito". I will sit back and watch to see how long term use affects the "Mosquito". I have a feeling we will be hearing a lot about Mosquitos breaking down and being erratic in their performance.
Just a hunch. I hope I am wrong.

· Registered
206 Posts
I already have 2 P22's and can't justify another .22 plinker. Plus, the Mosquito isn't even threaded for a suppressor. My Walthers only cost $ 229 and $ 239. I'll bet the Mosquito won't see $ 300. The ones on Gunbroker right now are over $ 400. :eek:

· Registered
84 Posts
davekr said:
I already have 2 P22's and can't justify another .22 plinker. Plus, the Mosquito isn't even threaded for a suppressor. My Walthers only cost $ 229 and $ 239. I'll bet the Mosquito won't be below $ 300. :eek:
It's a "Sig" so it will be more like $365 or higher. Even though it is a cheap ripoff of a P Series SigSauer it will be priced on up there, compared to other 22LR pistols. For that kind of money someone could get a nice Ruger MKIII Hunter and be much more pleased with the long term durability.
The Mosquito belongs on a piece of fly paper in the trash, not in a safe. :Blasting_

· Registered
7,285 Posts
It's madness I tell you...madness!!!!

My shop had their allocated Mosquito sold for $425, sight unseen, a week before it arrived.

No thanks. I can wait for reality to set in...if it ever does. I haven't been bitten that hard by the bug. :D

· Registered
905 Posts
When I talked to Olympic Arms about thier new Whitney Wolverine reproduction, made with a polymer frame, and asked what the MSRP would be I was told $280. When I asked why so low I was told, "Because plastic is cheaper the metal, something Glock and Sig don't seem to realise." And I ended up paying $260 in the real world.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have been searching for a Beretta 87T for at least a year or so. Found the new Sig at my gunshop.They had exactly one. I played with it. I was not impressed. Terrible trigger in both DA/SA mode. Gave up looking for the Beretta. I bought the Ruger MK III Hunter sitting next to it. The Ruger had a great trigger, and it was all stainless. Did I mention it was 50 dollars less? I figure Ruger has had 50 years or so to work out the bugs on the MK I, II series, even with all the lawyer add on's to the MK III it is still twice the platform that the Sig is. IMHO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.