Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 10/22 today. I totally tore it down and cleaned it. Alot of crud in it. I got it back together and it shoot perfectly not a jam in 100 rounds. My question is is it worth it to bed and float it or not. It is totally stock, except the pen spring thing. Thanks!!!!:D It helped alot with the trigger pull.

Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bedding and floating almost always helps, and done properly will not hurt the performance of the rifle. How much it helps will depend on whether you use a scope, and what type of targets you shoot.

If you shoot open sights, or at closer than 50 yds, you may not see much if any improvement.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Shootist, pretty much nailed it. The effects can be noticable even with stock sights, however you must be able to shoot that good. Most people here have found that there needs to be a pad at the end of the bbl. This pad changes the way the rifle shoots, but there are questions as to why. It either takes some of the strain off of the reciever, or changes the vibrations of the bbl. or both. I'm convenced that the difference is in the vibrations.

I have seen cases where the rifle shot great without any of this effort. If there is a new bbl. in the future, I'd get it first. The barrell will make a lot of difference on the run of the mill 10/22. A bedding job would be somewhat wasted, if later you had to grind a lot of it out, to add a new bbl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot, I think I'll wait until I get a new barrel and stock.

what do you guys recomend i get first. I already have apeture sights that i have mounted the work pretty sweet.:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Floating the barrel

There's an article in the January edition of Precision Shooting that talks about modifications you can do to improve the 10/22. One thing they tried, was to insert a shim or spacer between the take-down screw and the action. This would raise the barrel enough to float it (clearance to insert business card between stock and action). This is only a temporary thing, so you could test to see if floating helps accuracy. As far as bedding is concerned, it a matter of preference. If your happy with the way the gun shoots as is, why bother with bedding. If your looking for better things, then by all means look at bedding the action and floating the barrel. All custom rifles and competition rifles are bedded and the barrel is floated for a purpose. ACCURACY. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
245 Posts
ocabj & jimmyc75:

I recently "bored out" my factory Birch stock, & fitted my GM 18".

I used a full sheet of 60 grit, wrapped around a 3/4" dowell - then moved to a 1" dowell. I alternated between these two dowells & test fit several times, before I was satisfied. Even then I was having some doubts, so after I painted my stock, I ran the dowells through again. After another coat of paint & two coats of satin polyerethane, the fit was great.

I used a medium thickness piece of metal, (same thickness as a heavy washer) cut to fit down inside the stock & drilled a hole in it to allow the take down screw to pass threw. I stippled it (roughed it up - small indentions) so it would grip into the wood. I now have a floating barrel, with a pressure point pad 1.5" from the end of the stock.

I'm satsified, for the time being... I was able to get out, before it started to snow (again!) & zero in my scope... 10 shot 1" groups @ 50 yards. I'm sure it shots better than I'm able to make it shoot.

Sorry I'm rambling on... It's my first attempt, & I had fun doing it!

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ultimate 10/22

Get hold of Mark White's book The Ultimate 10/22. Pillar bed the stock which will allow you to replace the stock bolts to the same pressure every time. Inlet the fore end at least 2-3mm around the barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.