Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Shot Hornaday 30gr. V-max

6311 41
...after finally finding some and what a bummer. They shot 7inches higher than the CCI FMJs I'd been using, and were generally ALL OVER THE TARGET.
My 925m Marlin likes the CCI stuff, and it's far cheaper than the Hornady, so...
I will say the Hornady was louder with more recoil, and 300fps faster than the CCIs, hence the higher POI.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
...after finally finding some and what a bummer. They shot 7inches higher than the CCI FMJs I'd been using, and were generally ALL OVER THE TARGET.
My 925m Marlin likes the CCI stuff, and it's far cheaper than the Hornaday, so...
I will say the Hornaday was louder with more recoil, and 300fps faster than the CCIs, hence the higher POI.
I'm still working my way thru the ammo parade with a 982L I bought a couple of months ago. I am not surprised that they werent that accurate. Its been my experience that when I drop the weight of the slug and up the FPS I always lose accuracy. So far its just been 40gr and the most accurate to date are the Feds FMJ. Fiocchi soft points were ok, the Win JHP were not good at all. FTFs and couldnt hold a 2 inch group at 50 yds. I am holding a box of 30 gr Feds for last. Next up is CCI FMJ and JHP. Probably next week. I have one 22that prefers a lighter slug, a sporter MKII Savage. Shoots X-Pert 22 36 gr HP pretty good. half to three quarter inches at 50yds are the norm. For hunting thats pretty good for bulk ammo. Other than that gun, everything I have gets 40 gr bullets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just to show that all rimfires are different, my 77/22 with a GM barrel LOVES the Hornaday, shoots the 40 gr FMJ Federal and 50 gr JHP Federal extremely well and will not shoot anything by CCI. The lots of CCI that I have defineitely have thinner rim thickness than either the Hornaday or the Federal.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My 925m Marlin likes the CCI stuff, and it's far cheaper than the Hornaday, so...
I will say the Hornaday was louder with more recoil, and 300fps faster than the CCIs, hence the higher POI.
I have the 25M marlin & it also dislikes the lighter bullets. So far the best shooting is with 40 grain winchester. Haven't tried anything heavier yet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 925mn Marlin is the same. 50 Gr Fed JHPs are 1 hole clover leaf groups at 50 yards. The light ammo, the rifle is useless. I think this has something to do with Marlin's Micro-groove rifling, it seems not to like the light fast stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought 1 box of the 30 gr. v-max to try - Same thing in my 983s, about 5-7 in. high at 100yd. after I had sighted in using CCI 40 HP. Mine likes the CCI 40 HP the Best, next is Federal Champion 40 gr. FMJ. I wanted some Soft Points for hunting, so tried the Rem 40 PSP & the CCI 40 Spire Gamepoints for that - The CCI are Much better than the Rem in mine for the Soft Points.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well... this is all rather disconcerting news...

I just placed an order for 500 rnds of Hornady 22 MAG 30gr V-Max, believing they would shoot the best out of my Savage Striker 502F.... but apparently, I may be in for a rather huge, disappointing surprise....:mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well... this is all rather disconcerting news...

I just placed an order for 500 rnds of Hornady 22 MAG 30gr V-Max, believing they would shoot the best out of my Savage Striker 502F.... but apparently, I may be in for a rather huge, disappointing surprise....
Today 01:05 PM
Well, that's why I usually only start w/ 1 box when shooting a new round...before stocking up on something. But, don't worry too much, they May be accurate out of my Marlin 983s, I just didn't give them a good try once I noticed how HIGH they shot After I already had my gun sighted for the Slower, Heavier 40 gr. stuff....so I put them aside after only a few rounds, since I really don't plan on using that Explosive frangible balistic ammo anyway.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Don't despair just yet

Don't give up just because somebody else's gun won't shoot the 30 VMax! We are still talking about rimfires and we all know individual guns can be picky about ammo. The fact that other posters have had bad results means nothing! The fact that my WMRs (10/22, CZ, and Marlin) all shoot the Hornady 30 VMax better than anything else also means nothing. You just have to give them a try in your gun. However, as Bullshark012 implies, 10 boxes without a trial is a bit of a risk. I hope they shoot lights out in your Striker and will be interested in the results. Good luck! :)

DRob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, don't get too wrapped up in reports about individual guns, remember: We're talking rimfires here! Do the ammo parade and find the one it likes best. I don't think your target/dinner will know the difference, as long as you can hit what you aim at.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought 1 box of the 30 gr. v-max to try - Same thing in my 983s, about 5-7 in. high at 100yd. after I had sighted in using CCI 40 HP. Mine likes the CCI 40 HP the Best, next is Federal Champion 40 gr. FMJ. I wanted some Soft Points for hunting, so tried the Rem 40 PSP & the CCI 40 Spire Gamepoints for that - The CCI are Much better than the Rem in mine for the Soft Points.
Have you tried the Fiocchi 40 gr JSP? They don't shoot too badly in my 982. They are cheaper too. 7 bucks a box at Able Ammo, 7.09 a box at Cheaper Than Dirt. If you order from either of them, try a box. They come in at MOA at 100 yds for me. I like Soft Points for hunting, always did.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hornady V Max

Garys4598,

Hey if you don't like those Hornady V Max, I might be able to take them
off your hands.

My Single Six shoots very well with CCI +V (30 gr). I am guessing
that would carry over to the Hornady 30 Gr V Max. It also likes
Stingers. (32 gr)

As noted above, I would not bet any money on it until I tried them
a couple of times.

I am surpised that the V Max shoot 7 inches high compared to
CCI 40 gr out of some rifles. Wow! I doubt there is that much
elevation in a typical scope.

Well, enough of my rambling . . .

Thom T

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Tried some in my Stevens 44 rilined for .22mag. Shot higher. Repuired re seting my tang sight. Groups were comparable to most other ammo. Still sorting out the project gun. Only at 25 yards. Will play with it at more realistic ranges. Like them so far

·
Registered
508 Posts
There is an article about the Hornady 22 mag 30 gr. V-Max ammo in the August issue of American Rifleman for those of you that belong to the NRA. Here is a quote from the article.

"As for accuracy, the Hornady load again handily beat the competition, averaging 0.91" for five, consecutive five-shot groups at 100 yards. The closest competitor's average was 0.37" larger."

The rifle used was a Marlin 982VS. YMMV

·
Registered
200 Posts
Several rimfire nuts really like the 30 gr v-max bullets and have me wanting to buy a 22 mag now??? I will use them for small varmints mostly PD pest control... I see here some folks have a hard time with em???? I also would like to buy the bullets to shoot from my 22 CCM.... I wonder if the lighter bullet in a LR case would work??? Must be a reason I have not seen a lighter plastic tipped bullet in the LR case??? Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Hm2

Try HM2 for that plastic tip in a long rifle case......The one 77/22M I tried the 30's in didn't like them, but the 1:14 twist GM barrel I have certainly prefers them. I think a Savage or a Marlin may like them better because of the type of rifling they use. I think they will like a faster twist rate, all of the fast light stuff sure seems to, but to date I cannot get anything to print better than Winchester Supreme in 22MAG.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
i've been holding my keyboard till i shot my 77/22m with them. i shot them out of my old 882L and it did not like any of the light bullets from anybody. about that time i was in the local shop and they had an all weather 77/22M a bit of dickering and $50 later they owned my 882L and i owned the 77. i took it strait home and put the light rounds down range. better than the 882 but no where near great. off came the barrel and i started dinking with it. re-crowned it and shortened the chamber about .045" till the CCI v-max round (fatest) and the CCI maximag +V (longest) were "snug". slapped the barrel back on and presto instant 1/4" at 50 groups with ALL the light bullets. Remington 33gr, CCI 30gr and Hornady 30gr all shot awesome AND all to the same POI. and it shoots Win 40gr FMJ into bugholes.(squirrel bullet supreame)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 30 gr.

Hornady is my best ammo out of a Ruger 77.Shoots .5 at 50 yards and not much bigger at 100 yards.Its a lot cheeper than Rem. that also groups well through my Ruger.Havent tryed them on game but they blow water bottles up real good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a little clarification please

i've been holding my keyboard till i shot my 77/22m with them. i shot them out of my old 882L and it did not like any of the light bullets from anybody. about that time i was in the local shop and they had an all weather 77/22M a bit of dickering and $50 later they owned my 882L and i owned the 77. i took it strait home and put the light rounds down range. better than the 882 but no where near great. off came the barrel and i started dinking with it. re-crowned it and shortened the chamber about .045" till the CCI v-max round (fatest) and the CCI maximag +V (longest) were "snug". slapped the barrel back on and presto instant 1/4" at 50 groups with ALL the light bullets. Remington 33gr, CCI 30gr and Hornady 30gr all shot awesome AND all to the same POI. and it shoots Win 40gr FMJ into bugholes.(squirrel bullet supreame)
Hey Nemohunter, I was brousing these threads this morning and your post caught my eye. I'm not quite sure if I understand what you did, so let me see if I got it right.

Remove the barrel
Recrown
Remove about .045" from the sholder and from the rear of the barrel to maintain headspace
Reinstall

Is that about it or did you also cut the chamber with a reamer? I'm not surprised if these were all made with a generous freebore so cutting that down can only be a good thing.

I'd appreciate your clarification.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.