Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of the bulk ammo I've been using for plinking today, so I scratched around through my ammo pile and decided to finnish off my AG super-max. Anyhow I ran into serious problems with misfires, right off the bat. Out of the bricks of super-max ammo I have I had no misfires to date until today, but the last I had used it was a little over a year ago. Many misfires, coming up to 20%, good hits on the primer on all. I retired that entire batch of ammunition, and resumed using another bulk ammo with no problems.
My specific question is if someone else has some aguila super-max that's been hanging around for a year or two. If they could test it for similar problems. As a general rule I rarely have misfires, maybe 1 in a 1000 normally, primarily because I keep the actions on my guns working impeccably.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Elkein, I've run into the EXACT same trouble with a 2year old brick of SuperMax :mad:
Multiple hits, in DIFFERENT locations and still "no joy"
You are not alone in this (kinda wish I wasn't the one in it with you though:p )
C'est la vie
Paul

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Aguila Ammo

Elkein,

The guano used for the priming of this ammo loses its potency after two years.......! ! :D

Seriously, Aguila has had some serious quality problems of late, and your Lot of SuperMax may have been one of those Lots..! ! :(

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine isn't marked anywhere on the box in about Eley priming. I suspect this rapid deterioration which I've never had before in any ammo has largely contributed to the sub-par performance of the supermax when it was firing the last I checked it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Picked up a couple of 40gr HV from the 70's

Red & yellow box... got them at a gunshow = shot well, no stink and no misfires, =adequate ammo.
I've used Aguila .22 loadings for several years now and their ammo quality and performance seems to be DIRECTLY linked to their "Labor Relations" at their Curnevaca plant. One of my dealers told me that they have had 3 strikes in the last decade with quality taking a nosedive every time. :eek:
Now I don't know the veracity of this statement , gunshop clerks being known to 'embelish' the facts on any given firearms topic, but if I ever buy a brick of their hivel stuff with "Viva la Raza! " scrawled on the inside flap, I'm taking it BACK!;) :p

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The current Aquila web site states "ELEY prime process providing reliable ignition. (Except Super Colibrí)". Have they always been Eley primed or was this added because of earlier problems?

If earlier ammo was not Eley primed and that is the cause of bad performance, it might be something to check on before buying. I think a large part of Aguila rimfire sales are through small dealers at gun shows and I doubt that they have a big turnovers in inventory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.