Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Shoot'n The FrAnKeNmAg . . . (Neck Bolts Included)

1228 13
Hello folks,

I am a long time member, frequent visitor and an infrequent poster here at RFC as of late.

I thought I would share the configuration of my 'Ruger' 10/22 Magnum with my fellow maggots.

Long ago and far away I bought a Ruger 10/22 Magnum with the expressed purpose of reconfiguring the rifle to a light weight, hyper accurate Bunny Buster.

My original thought was to go with a Carbon Fiber .920 barrel and a race gun stock (just 'cause they look sooOOOoo cool). Well, after much research and emails back and forth from many members here, I scrapped the idea of the CF barrel as unstable technology and went looking for another option.

That option came along about a year ago when Ken at White Face Mountain offered a limited run of GM 22 inch, 1:16 twist, 4 grove .22 Long Rifle barrels in Blue. I bought one.

In the mean time, I had put about 1,000 rounds down the stock tube to break the action and trigger group in prior to sending it off.

It was a 'classic' out of the box dud from Ruger . . . Not much in the accuracy department, a very frustrating 'jam-o-matic' action and just too dang small for my 6'4"/235 pound personage to deal with. I could actually pick up the scoped rifle by the trigger and it would NOT go 'click' . . . sweet . . . sheesh. :mad:

I took the Carbine's barrel off the action, removed the stock and sent the 22" .22lr barrel, the receiver, bolt and trigger group to Randy @ CPC.

This is the second rifle that Randy has worked his magic on for me. I couldn't be more pleased.

Randy re-chambered the 22" barrel from .22lr to .22WMR and put an 11-degree target crown on the muzzle. The bore is about 2 thousandth's tight, so it is a 'swaged' barrel. But not in the classic swaged barrel sense per se. Most folks consider a barrel swaged only if it is (for example) .22 to .17. My barrel is two thousandth's tight from the get-go. This is a VERY trick barrel for the Magnum. It LOVES the additional length over the standard issue 18" barrels and I do get additional fps from the length and the swage (though not so much from the swage as from the length increase). It seems to shoot everything just fine.

Randy @ CPC has reworked the trigger group and it breaks at around 2.3 pounds with zero creep and over-travel.

The bolt was re-squared, re-head spaced and Randy applied his signature Jewel job as well. I have a VQ extractor installed.

I just mailed the $$ for the Dakotan bolt buffer today (I already have one in both of my T's) and hex head action screw (also in both of my T's).

The barrel was re-mounted with custom cut shims in the V block and barrel/receiver interface and the bolt was head spaced.

The newly created barreled action was installed in a Clark Heritage Laminated stock that has some 'issues' that needed to be corrected, but I shot the snot outta it anyway . . .

About three months ago I free floated the barrel to remove the interference between the barrel and the barrel channel in the fore grip of the stock. This free floated the barrel nicely, but then uncovered a new problem with the stock. The action well was not properly cut into the stock and the barreled action rocked in the stock! (DANGIT) AwwwWWWWW RATZ! :mad:

It still shot .40 inch, 9 round groups @ 50 yards with a CHEAP 3x9 non-AO scope. The funny thing with these groups is that they were inverted 'V' shaped as the action rocked back and forth in the stock.

WhatEVER! :rolleyes:

Last Saturday I bedded the action and the first 1.5 inches of the barrel in the barrel channel. The bedding job turned out GREAT! There is ZERO motion in the barreled action now! The barreled action now locks down TIGHT. :t

I have mounted another (not as) cheap scope on the rifle now (Tasco 6x24x42AO Mil Dot) and I will take it out for another 'test drive' this weekend. I fully expect to be sub MOA @ 100 with this configuration.

I have several boxes of Remington Premiers to play with as well as some CCI and yes Ski, I still have the OSSI custom loads you had sent me a year and a half ago. Thank you so much again. I don't have a clue as to what I am saving them for, but I am saving them! (It's a cry for help . . .).

It has been recommended to me to give the Winchester Supremes another go as well. I am going to be taking this rifle on a 4-day hunt and actually may give it a whirl on a calling stand or two.

I will post early next week as to how the newly bedded rifle performs @ 50 & 100 yards.

If any of you want to recommend a given ammo type for accuracy testing, I'm all ears! :t

Thanks for reading folks, I will post the results after this weekend.

Have a good one,

Kevin G.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Kevin G,

Well, ya took me by surprise when I got your PM, out of the "clear blue", like that!

:D

"Hoarding" that OSSI, eh? You're not alone. I got one box left and I ain't gonna shoot any of it. Why? I don't know! I doubt if they'll be worth anything, 100yrs from now. "Memories", I guess.

That rifle, of yours, sounds excellent!

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Npoe!

Hello Gander,

No, the barrel was configured for the Ruger 10/22, .22lr from the onset.

It is a FBC, not a .920 Bull.

I was looking for a light weight carry .22WMR, the bull barrel would have been contrary to that objective.

It does (however) shoot like a house-a-fire! :D

I am rather keen to get to the range this weekend and give the bedding job a test flight.

I have several types of CCI, Remington and Federal ammo to group test. I am leaning towards (for this hunt anyway) the 40 grain pills, so the Remington ammo might stay on the shelf for the HUNT, but will go to the range for group testing. :t

I have not been able to find any of the 50 grain pills at this time. I'll keep looking.

Have a good one!

Kevin G.

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,262 Posts
Interesting... I would keep a eye on the soft buffer, its the 1/4" dia replacements with a steel dowel in the center often come in with the dowel pin bent... The 50 grain bullets will shoot but I think the size of your groups will open up a little because of the 1 twist in 16 inch barrel... Does not mean that 50 grain bullets can not be used... I reloaded .22 Hornets, using a 1 in 16 twist barrel, with the heavier common 52 grain bullets, shot fine but groups were slightly larger than 40 grain ammo...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Kevin

Are you get'in any signs of higher
pressure with the 22LR barrel as compared to the regular factory barrel.

Ballooned cases,blown extractors etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Signs Of Over Pressure

Hello Plinker,

I got out this last weekend and got the FrAnKeNmAg sighted in at 100 yards and grouping at JuuuUUUUUUst under 1 inch. We are definitely talking minute of Jack here: NO problem!

This is with the Federal Red Box ammo (I am not at home and can't give you more detail at the moment).

I KNOW the rifle will shoot better as I was having a time with it last weekend. I managed to break my right hand the Saturday after I posted the original FrAnKeNmAg post. Ehhhhhhh, I didn't make it to the range that weekend . . . .

I am right handed and this [email protected]$%@#&_)!! cast SUX!!!!!

I received the Weaponcraft Bolt Buffer and Action Screw and installed them after the shoot'n session. Thanks Reed!

I have not seen ANY signs of over pressure in the expended cases. I have shot about ehhhhh 10 - 15 different ammo types since I received the rifle back from CPC.

I have had no problem with the extractor at all. I have a VQ Exact Edge extractor installed

The rifle cycles just fine with no missfires or stovepipes.

I hate this cast . . . I hate this cast . . . I hate this cast . . . .

Good Shoot'n To Ya!

Kevin G.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Signs Of Over Pressure

Hello Plinker,

I got out this last weekend and got the FrAnKeNmAg sighted in at 100 yards and grouping at JuuuUUUUUUst under 1 inch. We are definitely talking minute of Jack here: NO problem!

This is with the Federal Red Box ammo (I am not at home and can't give you more detail at the moment).

I KNOW the rifle will shoot better as I was having a time with it last weekend. I managed to break my right hand the Saturday after I posted the original FrAnKeNmAg post. Ehhhhhhh, I didn't make it to the range that weekend . . . .

I am right handed and this [email protected]$%@#&_)!! cast SUX!!!!!

I received the Weaponcraft Bolt Buffer and Action Screw and installed them after the shoot'n session. Thanks Reed!

I have not seen ANY signs of over pressure in the expended cases. I have shot about ehhhhh 10 - 15 different ammo types since I received the rifle back from CPC.

I have had no problem with the extractor at all. I have a VQ Exact Edge extractor installed

The rifle cycles just fine with no missfires or stovepipes.

I hate this cast . . . I hate this cast . . . I hate this cast . . . .

Good Shoot'n To Ya!

Kevin G.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Thanks for the report Kevin.

Sort of mullin over the idea of get'in
one modified for the 77/22mag.

Have you checked the MV of any of those loads yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MV . . .

Hello Plinker,

Hmmmmm . . . you have a good question there!

There are, from time to time, folks at the range with a chrony.

Next time I am at the range and I see some one with one, I will ask if I can shoot several different factory rounds through and get the average MV for each.

I will post it when I do.

Kevin G.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Thanks Kevin

Keep us posted to any new info.

As I said sort of think'in about it
but have'nt desided yet as which way to
go. May drop the whole idea,for now anyway.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
This is the one you are look'in for.
Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very kewl thread here....

I love reading about the "build ups" being done on yer magz. Maybe one of these days I'll go and do it too.

Here's a list of ammo I've tried in mine...

Remington PSP's, JHP's and Premiers. CCI Gold Dot (shot great), Maxi mag, Maxi mag +V, TnT's (shot bad and jammed alot). Federal (Sierra) 30 gr, 40 gr and the big 50 grainers. RWS 50 grain (horrible! and expensive). PMC Predator. OSSI Moly V max (thanx SKI)..these were the BEST shooting! Winchester Super-X and Supremes (34gr?). ArmsCor (Phillipine made and hard to find). ..I feel like I am missing another brand here but can't remember what it was. I also tried both hp's and fmj's if they were offered in that line of ammo, like the Super X.

Best shooting were OSSI and the Premiers. Super X are a very close third place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.