Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... is hard!

I took my Savage HM2 out Saturday to settle down and see just how small I could pour them at 100 yards.

Answer: not as small as I thought.

I shot about 50 rounds and got a couple groups in at just about an inch. I think my best was just a hair over 1 inch, edge to edge. I don't have a caliper to measure, so this is ruler-measuring.

I was using a WTC 18 on top of it and all I had was Hornady ammo. My rest was the most expensive one I own, a bright red Jeep Wrangler. :D

I also have a whole list of excuses for why its so hard. Ready-made excuses are handy when shooting, fishing or golfing.

For one thing, it was about 93 out there and I kept getting distracted by the critters chewing on my ankles. You want a flier, let a bee sting you on the back of the knee when you're squeezing one off. :grrr:

I guess the moral of the story is if you've got a nice well-managed rifle range, count your blessing.

The positive not is that the groups got better the longer I shot.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Were you subtracting the size of the 22 caliber or .224 inches. Actually the hole in the paper is usually less, like maybe .20 inches. Turns one inch groups into .8 inch groups.

And yes it is hard. Probably the experience most people have first time. Shooting off a truck or car hood isn't all that stable. I have shot prone fairly well, and find shooting prone out of the back of a pickup gets measurably worse results versus being on the stable ground itself. The truck rocks enough to make a difference.

Matter of fact, if you dont' have a sturday table and rest, shooting prone is the next best thing.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Give yourself some more time with the gun, you get the rascal shooting better! As you pointed out the conditions may not have been quite perfect. Something I have pointed out before, yes the conditions may have reduced the performance, but I also choose to shoot in those conditions. :D

Dave Z.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't really too displeased, except I think my expectations were a bit too high.

Normally my dad and I go out and bang around once every couple of weeks. We usually shoot a hole and then try to hit the origional hole. That actually seems easier than shooting at a bullseye.

I really could see the effect of the wind also. I may ought to back off to 50 yards and see what I can do there. Might boost the ego a bit before backing away again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.