Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a gun to take up the range from 100 yards to around 200. Over 100 is a bit hit and miss for my 10/22 with a cheap scope. I have a new scope coming, but can not make up my mind on the rifle.

The wind often blows across my gopher field, so which bullet would be best, the .17HMR, or the 22 WMR? I like the frangible nature of the Vmax since I do have far off neighbors. The .17 is faster, but the 22 is twice the weight. The CCI TNT sounds like a nice round to compete with he Hornady 17.

Which bullet will perform better kills in the 100 to 200 range?

Which bullet will be less effected by wind in the 100 to 200 range?

Am I expecting too much from either at 200 yards? Maybe what I really need is the .223. Noise is an issue.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry if this has been beat to death. I have not been on the board for a while.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
to far

neither will reliably go 200 yards i think, especially with wind a factor. You will have to talk to the .17 people about how far they will go, but i dont think i would try it. For a .22 mag i would use the remington premieres for max range i think, they have a little better accuracy and stability and i wouldnt take them farther than say 110 yards. Browse through the hunting section or maybe put a post there and you will get some more info. A .223 sounds like what you need.

·
Registered
450 Posts
barbwire:

I'll relate my experience where I groundhog hunt. The fields are not level except in certain areas. So, for the 75-125 yards shots I use a Marlin 17VS loaded with the V-Max Hornady round. For 100 yards to 250 I use a Remington 243 loaded with a Federal Speer TNT 70 gr. HP. The 17 isn't worth a **** in a cross wind. Plus, the hog doesn't always die on the spot. They spin around and scamper into the hole. Now the 243 is "BANG" and the hog is in hog heaven. Basically I use this rule of thumb. Short to medium distance and a calm day I use the 17. Further away and not so calm, the 243 is used. Keep in mind, a 223 is a great groundhog killer. Doesn't kick as much as the 243, and isn't that loud. If I wanted one rifle for groundhogs I think I'd recommend a 223. But, variety is the spice of life. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sure we've taken shots with the 22wmr / 17's past 100 yards. But my personal thoughts on this are since I bought the mag for a 75/100 yard rifle would be not to do it. For game or varmints that is. The 222, 223, 22-250 something along those lines would be the ticket. Now for plinking targets I've had alot of fun blasting apples & oranges up to 125 yards with the 22wmr. I might think the 17's would have a slight advantage at that distance with no cross wind.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, all your input is very helpful. I will ponder this some more, but I think a 223 is the way to go too. $300 for a Marlin 17 is a lot. Maybe later...

Got a KT15x40 Weaver scope today. Time to go play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.