Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Fairly new to shooting. Have a 17HMR (Ruger 77/17) and am getting a 22LR (probably Marlin 981T or 980V) tomorrow.

I need a scope for the 22LR. I'll only be using it for 50 yds or less mostly, very occasional use at 100 yds (range) for fun. Most will use 17HMR for more than 50 yds though and have a Tasco VAR624x42M (MilDot varmint) coming in the mail.

I should be ok with a 3-9x fixed objective for the 22LR (like the $35 Bushnell 3-9x32 - http://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/specs/76-2239.cfm), right? Or, should I just get an inexpensive AO (like the $60 Simmons 3-9X32 AO 22 Mag -http://www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes_22Mag.htm)?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If it's a rimfire scope it will have the parallax set at 50 yrds.I've used a big game scope on my 22 for years and at 50 yards I can't tell the difference,but at 25 I can't focus, though I can still hit what I'm aiming at.As in a rabbit head sized target.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I would spend the extra money and get the another Tasco 6-24x42

I had a simmons 3-9x32 non ao and was getting good groups at 25 and 50 but then i got the tasco 6-24x42 and my groups improved even more. If you are shooting at 25 yards with the non AO you will be able to only go up to about 6 power at the most because if you are more than that the target or crosshairs will just get blurry.

Just my .02

·
Registered
488 Posts
johnsopa said:
Hi all. Fairly new to shooting. Have a 17HMR (Ruger 77/17) and am getting a 22LR (probably Marlin 981T or 980V) tomorrow.

I need a scope for the 22LR. I'll only be using it for 50 yds or less mostly, very occasional use at 100 yds (range) for fun. Most will use 17HMR for more than 50 yds though and have a Tasco VAR624x42M (MilDot varmint) coming in the mail.

I should be ok with a 3-9x fixed objective for the 22LR (like the $35 Bushnell 3-9x32 - http://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/specs/76-2239.cfm), right? Or, should I just get an inexpensive AO (like the $60 Simmons 3-9X32 AO 22 Mag -http://www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes_22Mag.htm)?

Thanks!

John
I shoot at 50 and 100 yds with my Simmons 22 Mag (Non adjustable objective) and it has worked great for me. IMHO, I don't think you need an AO unless you are doing serious benchrest target shooting at 50+yds.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Yesterday I was sighting in a rifle for coyote hunting. I fotgot my spotting scope to do the sighting in, so did it at 50 yards rather than 100 yards. I had a 3-9 variable scope on the rifle and couldn't see bullet holes at 100 yards even with the scope set at 9 power. That's why I did the sighting in at 50 yards.
While I was letting the barrel cool between shots, I was looking through the scope at the 1 1/2" target dot I had pasted on the target paper. I had the cross wires centered on the dot, and then moved my eye left and right to see how much the cross wire moved on the dot. The vertical wire moved from about 1/4" of the right edge to the same distance from the left edge by moving my eye as far as I could left and right. So, if I was to shoot with my eye placed at either extreme, that's how much the bullet impact would be moved on the target dot, about 1 inch.
Don

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
I've used mostly fixed focus scopes all of my life on my rimfire rifles, and had very little problems at all. At shorter ranges, turning the magnification down alleviates some of the parallax shift. Use a scope adjusted parallax free at 50 yards, and unless you're doing some SERIOUS target work at shorter ranges, you'll never see any differences. I like to use 4x fixed, 6x fixed, 2-7x's, or 3-9x's on most everything. Never had much use for giant AO target scopes.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm with ya Phil. I've got 1.5-4.5x shotgun scopes on both of my .22's. At 4.5x I can whack a nickel sized bull every shot at 50 yards, punch a woodchucks head at 75 and rarely miss a squirrel in the woods. Turn it down to 1.5x and I can roll running cottontails from in front of my beagles @ 10 -20 yards. I don't care much for punching tiny groups in paper from a bench and don't have a bit of interest in hunting flies or mosquito's so have no use for one of those big ugly 6-24x truck mufflers hangin off my rifle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shooting 50 yds or less; non-AO is OK, right?
Negatory - quite the opposite from the bulk of what has been said or implied here is true.

Shooting at ranges *shorter than* the range at which the fixed-parallax scope's parallax setting is set, the magnitude of the parallax error is greater than shooting at ranges longer than where the setting is set. So, in theory, in general, for max accuracy, having an AO/PA is *more* important at short ranges than at long ranges.

BUT, having said that, 2 things: (1) Even though the parallax error on non-AO scopes is magnfied greatly at shorter ranges, this is "made up for" by the fact that you're shooting a target *at shorter ranges*, which means that for a given sized target, like a rabbit, let's say, the chance of hitting it due to it being a relatively-bigger target, and due to whatever error being present has less room to magnify itself over a distance, will probably more than make up for the parallax error that occurs at short ranges (10,15,20,30 yards). So as a result, even a non-AO scope will ordinarily work well for hitting stuff in reality due to this self-correcting mechanism, with short range guns like .22 lrs. This is true *IF* your goal is to be able to hit "minute-of-squirrel*. This is not true if you're doing competitions or such with airguns or 22s where the targets are at 10 or 15 yards, for example. (2) So if you DO run with a non-AO, it should work fine *provided that* it is one designated as a *rimfire* scope, which usually means that it is parallax-free at 50 yards, so shooting at 20 or 30 is less error than if shooting at 20 or 30 with a 100 or 150 yard parallax-free-set scope. IOW, don't put an ordinary riflescope on a .22 used for hunting game - they are set at 100 or 150 in some cases. Shooting a .22 at 15 or 20 yards with a 100 yard-set rifle scope, if you're off-center quite a ways in your viewpoint, can result is a very significant shift in the point of impact - quite enough to miss a smallish critter like a bird or squirrel, and way, way too much error, even if almost centered, if you're a precision shooter - e.g. if you only shoot at the *heads* of squirrels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah That...

Bushnell Banner 1.5 x 4.5 - shotgun/ .22 scope is the best for fast acquisition of target and is capable of fine accuracy.

On my 'farm yard rifle' it has been the perfect choice.
Plus it's size 'fits' my rifle.
Plus Bushnell factory repair/outlet store is here in town - got mine new for 49 dollars. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
i got a 2.5-10 simmons on my 10/22 i can throw it on 2.5 and shoot snakes at 10 yrds or i can put er on 10 and shoot rabbits or squirrels at 75 yrds and at 50 yrds i also have 1 on my 17hmr and i shoot it at 100 yrds and it does fine but im movin out to 200 yrds so itss higher power for me but for the 22. id say simmons PRO50 2.5-10x50mm (50 is better for huntinn as u can see better early mounin and late evnin when most critters are movin and in thick woods u will see difference) in a open field with a bright moon onna clear night i can see through my scope in the dark good for rabbits i wont put a scope under 45mm on any rifle imma take to the woods but for hunting 2.5-10 is just bout right you got the low power for close range and higher for when u take her to play its bout i bought 2 for 56 dollars apiece at NatchezShootersSupply

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Bushnell has a 3-9X AO scope, #72-0034, the Sportsman line. I think that's the model that was mentioned in a post that a young people's shooting team coach recommended for his beginning shooters; probably because they were just beginning, and it could provide good service and teach them all they needed to know until they progressed to where they could use a more expensive scope. As I recall, the price ran about $70.00 at Mideway or Natchez. Probably a good scope for the money.

I can see the advantage for shorter ranges, like between 10 and 25 yards, but I have always avoided the AO scopes and variables, for that matter, till recently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.