Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you shoot with both eyes open or close the non-dominant eye?

I close my non-dominant eye when I use the open sights but I open both eyes with a scope. I feel more comfortable that way...?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I generally shoot with both open, regardless of the type of sight I am using. My brain seems to deal with both images okay. I've noticed, however, that my shooting is pretty much the same even when I have both eyes shut. This might be a problem.:D

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
With a pistol and open sights I shoot both eyes open. When shooting with a scope I only use one eye, and when shooting open sights or peep sights I only use one eye.

I guess I could have made that short and sweet and just said the only time I shoot both eyes open is when shooting a pistol with open sights!:eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have a dominant eye. I've tried various "tests" to determine which eye is "dominant" and it's pretty close to 50-50 which eye it will say is dominant. As a result, I can't shoot effectively with both eyes open without taking extra steps.

I snagged a copy of a manual for "The United States Army Marksmanship Guide" and it recommends both eyes open because if you close one eye, the other will tend to squint, which can adversely affect vision in the shooting eye. However, it also notes that many shooters use a "blinder" to block vision from the non-shooting eye. That's probably where I'm going to head. I my case, the "blinder" may be no more than a post-it note stuck to my glasses on the left.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can not see anything out of a scope with both eyes open. The whole world just becomes a big blur. It might be because I have 20/10 vision in my nondom eye and 20/15 in my dom eye. But I figure that seeing the target clearly is much safer than seeing a big blurr.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Handgun (open sights), I always shoot with both eyes open. Rifle/shotgun (open sights/trap) I mostly shoot with both eyes open. Occasionally, I will close my less dominant eye to either really focus on the sight picture (rifle) or sort of squnit my left eye and aim (yes, bad, I know) the shotgun if I am having trouble picking up the target. Mostly though, both eyes open.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Right hand shooter...left eye dominant... it sucks. Have to keep the left eye closed or partially closed. I got good at keeping both eyes open until right before I come up on target and then my left closes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I had vision in both eyes, my left was dominant while I shoot right handed. Years ago I tried various gadgets to block images from dominant eye, but the brain still tries to incorporate that view into the overall picture. When shooting service rifle matches, I squinted and used the non-dominant eye. When hunting with a scope, I could have both eyes open, but willfully select which one to look at. This was handy when following moving critters using the dominant view and shifting to the non-dominant for the shot -- didn't have to search for the target thru the scope - it was always right there. Recently I lost vision in the dominant eye, so that's not as much an issue as it was, but the brain still tries to look thru it, although it sees nothing but dark. It's kind of weird to describe; I choose to accept it as a final solution to the cross-dominant problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
binocular vision( leaving both eyes open) is really only neccesary when you are shooting at living things. for non-moving paper targets you can close one eye.

the advantage of binocular vision: alawys you to see your surroundings and be aware of movement/ you can switch to the other eye if neccesary

the advantage of using your dominant eye: allows the shooter to focus on the target.

how to teach your eyes to shoot with both of them open:

hold the pointer finger of you hand out in front of your face pointing up. make sure you see only one finger(no blurred vision). now bring the finger towards your nose focusing with both eyes as you go. the moment you start to see 2 fingers move your hand out until you see one. then repeat until you can touch your nose with your finger. nice little workout for your eyes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have developed the habit of shooting mostly with both eyes open. I use to shoot with only the dominate eye open but through my participation in Biathlon I use a nocluder / blinder which covers my non-dominant eye. It also includes a small shield on the side of the dominate eye to protect from adjusting sun light as well as competitor distraction. This seemed to transfer over into my shooting of scoped rifles where I shoot with both eyes open but without a blinder. I have seen some people use a playing card or piece of cardboard that they tuck in there hat / cap to temporarily cover there non-dominant eye. Pictured is my rifle with blinder

·
Registered
276 Posts
scotch tape

For long periods of bench/scope shooting, eye fatigue and blur result. A piece of cardboard helped. But one day at the Range, one of their expert shooter's suggested scotch tape. Both eyes see "light" and for me almost completely relieves eye-strain and that bluriness. Just take off about a 1/2" piece and stick it in front of the lense in the middle. When not shooting you can still see around it.
All other shooting I close one eye. Thinking about a red-dot scope for one of my rimfire rifles. Will try plinking with both eyes open.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Seems like some shooting experts really push the 'both eyes open' thing, but a lot of us just can't focus like that, especially when using optics.
*shrugs*
The shooting "experts" may seem to push the 'both eyes open' thing, because they already understand about how to use depth perception, to judge the distance of the target, besides just focusing on the target, and the sights.

Focusing on 2 objects with both eyes may be difficult for those with less than perfect vision, and is understandable that shooting with one eye closed may be more "comfortable" for them, but doesn't mean it's the best way, or the correct way.:bthumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.