Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Shipping in original box

645 5
I saved a bunch of my original rifle boxes, when I sell this gun can I ship it to the buyer in the original box? Is it not recommended?
  • Before participating in the RFC Classifides, please take a moment to read our rules.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I keep all my boxes as well. On the rare occasion when I sell a gun to someone not in my local area, I put the gun in it's original box and get an unmarked box that is big enough to hold the first box, and ship in that manner. I can usually pick up one of the bigger boxes at my local gun shop. This adds a little on shipping charges sometimes, but I think its worth the effort, as this keeps handling damages to a minimum, also you are not advertising that there is a gun in the package like you would if you shipped only in the original box.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I keep all my boxes as well. On the rare occasion when I sell a gun to someone not in my local area, I put the gun in it's original box and get an unmarked box that is big enough to hold the first box, and ship in that manner. I can usually pick up one of the bigger boxes at my local gun shop. This adds a little on shipping charges sometimes, but I think its worth the effort, as this keeps handling damages to a minimum, also you are not advertising that there is a gun in the package like you would if you shipped only in the original box.
Couldnt agree with this more, no need to advertise what your shipping.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When new rifles ship they are usually shipped with an outer box over the one the gun comes in. It helps to protect the original box from getting beat up and gives additional protection to the gun.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
using an outer box to the original box is what dealers and manufacturers do for a couple of reasons. mainly because they rarely ship just one firearm, also to protect the original box and because i don't think you can ship a firearm in a box that you can tell is a firearm by the labels or text on the exterior of the box.

didn't see the label thing on the UPS site, but here is are the guidelines for shipping a firearm:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

In the past what i have done is take the original box and turn it inside out to ship the firearm. I would only do this if i felt the original packaging was suitable for shipping.

DW

·
Registered
14,946 Posts
Double box whenever you can-Assume that UPS will drop them,etc. and pack accordingly..Original boxes vary in ruggedness.The FFL that I use,always has a good assortment of boxes that he has accumulated,and I can usually find a good one as the second.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.