Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Ruger – Other forum but thought I might get more feedback here.

I have an All Weather 77-22 that’s now wearing a new Weaver V-16 scope and there is barely enough clearance for a thin piece of paper which seems marginal. However, I think I've got a solution to my scope ring height situation. I have some stainless shim stock in a variety of thicknesses and could put some under the rings raising them slightly. Since I already have enough of a gap to pass a "very" thin piece of paper between the barrel and objective bell this should give me the additional I need to ensure the clearance is adequate. What do you all think...any problems with this approach? I've used shims under Leupold rings, but not Rugers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Exchange Rings

chundoo,

The proper solution to your problem would be to replace the standard KS100RL [Low] rings with a set of KS100RM [Medium] rings. Each size is an increase of 1/8" in the centerline height of the scope. If the rings are unused, "Ruger" will exchange them Free for the next size.

Firearm Category:K77/22, .22LR & .22WMR, K77/17 (Stainless)
LOW scope rings generally will accept up to a 32mm or smaller scope objective diameter.
MEDIUM scope rings generally will accept up to a 42mm or smaller scope objective diameter.
[Ruger - Product Service - Scope Rings]

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Exchange Rings

BigMike said:
chundoo,

The proper solution to your problem would be to replace the standard KS100RL [Low] rings with a set of KS100RM [Medium] rings. Each size is an increase of 1/8" in the centerline height of the scope. If the rings are unused, "Ruger" will exchange them Free for the next size.

BigMike,

Mine is an older rifle and the rings have been used so no free exchanges. I'm not sure of the current amount of clearance, but it's probably no more than .005". I thought if I could put a shim of .030" or more under the ring it would be ample. I don't want to buy some higher rings if I don't need to, but I'll do it if it's necessary...these don't come cheap.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After giving this some more thought, I think I'll replace the rings after all. But I don't like the Ruger rings so would like to go with a Burris adapter base and some Signature Z's. Can anyone tell me what height ring I'd need with the base for a V-16? I'm thinking medium, but can't find the dimensions.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Why Not Burris - Ruger Rings

chundoo,

Burris makes a line of "Ruger" rings for the M77/22 rifles, although only the Medium size is offered in 'Nickel' finish; they are not 'Signature' rings....! ! ;)

Burris - Ruger Rings:
Low: .410"
Med: .535" [in Nickel]
High: .660"

For 'Ring Height Comparisons', go to Midway > Site Features > Product Features > Application Information > Ring Height Comparisons......

I always say: "More parts, more problems" :eek:

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: See my post under...

OldCorpsJoe said:
"Problem with my 22mag integrated scope mount"
OldCorpsJoe

That's exactly why I was thinking of the adapter base. I recently picked up a ring lapping kit and while installing my new V-16 I decided to give it a go on the Ruger rings. I found them to be HORRIBLE with less than 25% bearing surface to hold the scope. After considerable lapping they now have about 60% which is ok for a rimfire but I certainly wouldn't trust them in it was a big bore, like a 300 WinMag. The problem wasn't the rings, it was the milled in base. Switching the rings made no difference at all, they were off the same as before.

FWIW I put some shims in last night to see how it would work and I have plenty of clearance and the ring 'claws' still grab the base grooves sufficiently to hold things in place. I don't know if I'll stick with this or go with the Burris setup.

I'll never have another Ruger with the milled base system again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.