Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new rifle is shaving lead. Not much, but a little sliver. I also need to help the bolt close to battery occasionally. This does not seem to happen on the copper washed bullets, only on the all lead ones. Some info on my equipment: 1) New GM 20in fluted SS, 2) Bolt trued and headspaced by CPC, 3) Vol extractor 4) Mag is a Ruger, serviced per tips on this board, approx. 20 flats from the point of spring insert into the hex head. I was at the range testing about 7 different types of ammo and the problem occured. When I got home I had what looked like a lot of waxy buildup in the action. Fired about 300 rounds. Maybe this is what is causing the problem. Looking forward to your replies. Yellowfthr:)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I had the same problem, but it happened more with one of my factory mags.
My butler creek steel lips mag wouldn't even feed.
I think it depends a lot on the mag, but the GM barrel will tend to shave more than the factory barrel because the round has to enter a smaller hole while coming from the same angle from the mag.
As far as having to push the bolt closed, that's a typical problem with the bentz chambers too.
The ammo you use can play a large part (bullet shapes differ and some ammo is just fatter).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you don't want to remove the barrel the take a pistol length brush in 22 and mount it in a short handle and bend the last inch-1 1/4 at a 90degree angle and use this to scrub the chamber with some solvent and then swabb the chamber out good and dry it.....also I polish the feed ramp part of the magazine metal and make sure the entry to the chamber is rounded on the lower half of the chamber mouth and use a felt pad and polishing compound to just break the edge of the chamber to get any sharp burrs that can slice or scrape the bullet/coating.........don't waller the chamber mouth out just break the sharp upper edge and lower half .....also note if it does it worse on one mag than the other? and some don't fit in some guns exactly as the next mag and some ammo has thicker coatings and will shave lead/wax more than others....shoot a good group from the mag and then try to single load a group and see which is better..it may not harm the shooting of the ammo just gunk up the chamber and action over time......good luck and good shooting!!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Magazine Well Clearance

yellowfthr,

I assume that you also have a new stock on your 10/22...? ?

Check to make sure that your magazine is NOT touching the stock in the magazine well area.....! ! :eek:

Use a business card as a 'feeler guage' on the sides of the magazine; if it is touching, it could prevent your magazine from completely seating, and cause the 'lead shaving' problem you have described....! ! :(

Good Luck....! ! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to those of you that replied.

Bigdaddytacp: The barrel is brand new. This was the first trip to the range. Chamber is very clean. I did take my dremel and a felt pointed tip with some jewelers rouge and polish the chamber entry point. Just enough to remove sharp edge. Also polished the feed lips on the mag. ( only have one). Not much help.

BigMike: You hit upon it dead on. One side of the magazine was touching the stock hard, couldn't get a business card in there. Took dremel and course sanding thingy and lightly removed wood so that there was equal clearance on both sides. Now the gun shoots outstanding. Man I was ready to jump up and down like a kid. Best groups today was a .465 with Eley Target Rifle at 50yds.
It will also shoot the Federal Lighting (bab) stuff under an inch at 50yds.
Thanks every so much. :t :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
yellowfthr and Big Mike: I was having the most terrible problems with failures to feed & failures to fire on my 10/22 w/20" GM blued bull barrel. I had retensioned the flats on my magazines, polished and oiled the bolt rod, removed/cleaned/polished the firing pin, all to no avail. I was ready to throw the darn thing into the Pacific Ocean (I only live 2 miles away from the beach).

Then, I did the Dremel thingy, as you did, to my Fajen Silhouette stock. I went to the range tonight, and fired 200 rounds of CCI Mini Max, with only one misfire & no failures to feed (199/200) The misfired round had a light strike mark. I think my next step is bolt chamfering, maybe I will get 200/200 next time.

Also tried Federal Classic and Winchester X-Pert: Not nearly as many problems as before, but began having failures to eject on the Federal Classics and failures to feed on the X-Perts as the barrel got dirtier. I think I will stick with the Mini Mags.

Thank you for the great information! Friends helping friends, that's what I like about this forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.