Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed my first Bughole Tuner and I am leary that it will stay in adjustment. The attenuation screw moves easily and I am afraid that in time with vibration and heat / cool cycles it will creep out of setting. I do not want to use locktite for a number of reasons but is there another way to induce a constant drag on the screw so that it can be moved but that it will stay where you set it? A nylok nut on a bolt accomplishes this but this is almost the opposite situation. Am I trying to remidy a problem that does not exist?
Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
The "sweet spot" in the BugHole tension may be different with each brand/type of ammo. I'm not an expert, but it may also depend on other factors such as humidity or temperature. For these reasons, I do not think it is advisable to "lock" the setting at any one place. In fact, I think that it would kind-of defeat the whole purpose of the device.

Having said that, I have (sort-of) found a "sweet spot" in my BugHole at about 1/4 turn beyond "just touching" with WMT in my Boyd's Ross and 20" GM barrel. I re-check the adjustment every 50-100 rounds but it doesn't seem to move much due to vibration.

Ohcsim

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohcsim,
Thanks, I think I understand that I will need to make changes to the setting for each ammo type and for extreams in weather, that is why the Locktite route does not make sense to me either. I work with machinery a good deal and I'm leary of the screw being so easy to rotate, I wish I knew of a way to - as I said, induce drag - so the screw would not change setting on its' own. I could peen or otherwise deform a small portion of a thread but I would rather not do this as with time it will destroy the threads and make for a looser fit. It is good to hear that you do not find the need to recalibrete often.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Locking Set Screws

MD 10/22...

You can get locking set screws similar to the plastic lined hex nuts available at most hardware stores. If you can't find them locally, they have them at www.mcmaster.com. They look like a regular setscrew, but have a little piece of plastic in the side to keep them where you want them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marble8,

Thanks, I thought that I remembered seeing set screws like that. I have a McMaster Carr catalog at work, I should have thought of that - if they have them they will be perfect.:t

·
Registered
190 Posts
MD 10/22...
They show them on the website, best I remember they are about $5.00/$7.00 for 12 or 20 or something like that. Probably can't buy just 1 or 2. Guess you'll just have to get enough 10/22's to use them all up!:D

·
Registered
829 Posts
md10/22 said:
I have installed my first Bughole Tuner and I am leary that it will stay in adjustment. The attenuation screw moves easily and I am afraid that in time with vibration and heat / cool cycles it will creep out of setting. I do not want to use locktite for a number of reasons but is there another way to induce a constant drag on the screw so that it can be moved but that it will stay where you set it? A nylok nut on a bolt accomplishes this but this is almost the opposite situation. Am I trying to remidy a problem that does not exist?
Thanks
Anytime you need a nylon locking screw it is very very simple. Open your tackle box, or your kids, somebodies. Take a short piece of fishing line, the nylon mono type, use the lighter weight for smaller screws, flyfishing tippet if it is a real small diameter thread. Insert a short length in the hole and screw in the screw. It will hold well. In some cases I have made a loop and inserted in the hole then the screw.
The center caps on my Ford F150 will come loose, screws gone if I dont do this, but the fishing line holds.
Hope this helps, Andy:D

·
Registered
322 Posts
a locking mehtod I use at work on machinery is:

Drill a hole through the bolt, down in the threads, perpindicular to the bolt's length. Insert a piece of weed whacker line through the hole. Now the bolt has a nylon locking strip in it's threads. Or you can just use purple locktite, it lets you adjust the position without being too locked up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,
Lots of real good ideas, I was most attracted to the the KISS method with the fishing line - elegant in its simplicity and seems to work great - thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.