Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this friend.........

who swears that he nailed a crow at 30 yards center of mass, but the bird just took off flying. (and flying, and flying)

Is it really possible for a round to blow through a bird and the bird take off out of the area like that?

Or was it (jeeze, crosshairs lined, squeezed trigger, steady platform, subsequent rounds went exactly where pointed) a miss?

·
Registered
668 Posts
i shot a duck with a 12 gauge full patter that flew a MILE be fore it fell. it was farm country so luckly it was flat enough to see it fold waaaaaaaay out there. the dog brought it back and there were tons of holes in the body but no broken wings. possible yes likely not really but possible that it happened to your friend. if you dont trust him is he really a friend? lol

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
What was he using when he shot the crow? A BB gun? If he was shooting a rifle, the crow absolutely would have died in place if he had drilled it dead center. I have killed birds larger than crows with a single shot .22, one bullet through the center. He might have just clipped the bird's breast, a slight flesh wound. Feathers cover up a much smaller body on most birds, anyhow.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I agree with Old Hickory. A 22 in dead zone land on a crow should put the bird dead before it hits the ground. I shot a black bird in my backyard with a 1000fps pellet gun and made a little high but still fatal shot. It flew and died in mid-air.

Brad

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
OK, I'll fess up and give you guys something to think about.
As a kid I'd sometimes get asked to come over and pop robins out of a farmers freshly sown field. One day I was a nail'n 'em left and right, when one I knew good and doggone well I'd head shot, took off and started flying across the field like normal. I stood up and watched not believing my eyes, when suddenly it just sorta veered to the right like its equilibriam was off, flew right into the ground on its side. Walked over to where it lay (a good 100-125 yds) and picked it up, stone cold dead. Interesting though somewhat grim thing was this: The whole top of the head was gone, ala Hannible Lecter, and the brain pan was empty. My only explaination is the whole headless chicken running around the yard thing, guess it can happen? A friend told me a similar story of a deer headshot, got to where it lay and it was on its side legs a pumping like it was out for a leisurely stroll, yet the gray matter was gone.
Weird.
(Sidenote: For you PETA freaks, I ate every darn one of those robins, yum!)
:D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well I believe your friend was telling the truth, I have shot crows and pidgeon in the chest and had them fly off,its all to do with the amount of breast feathers and how fluft up they are at the time, it works on the same princeable of the old trench coats the army used to use, the coat was made of wool for density and hung lose so the movement of the coat would absorb the bullet. Try shooting a blanket hung on a washing line.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
welllllll

hell it ain't so strange to me happens at least once or more every time i go hunting , some dang animal runs off i know is dead. happens a lot during a dove hunt, a lot of em dead doves flies off like they ain't.
david

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have had Piegeons fly off from dead on hits with a 22 lr but they never made it more than 20 yds. Most fell right where they were sitting. A 17 absolutley wrecks the poor things, and crows to for that matter. I have yet to have either get away while using an HMR.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remember Mike

I certainly think things like these are possible. Remember Mike the headless chicken of Fruita Colorado (this is true). Mike's head was chopped off in 1945 and he lived 18 months after that. He became famous at fairs and social events in the west....

So if a chicken can live without a head, I spose a crow could live through a bullet hole....lol :)

www.miketheheadlesschicken.org

·
Registered
872 Posts
newshooter04 said:
hell it ain't so strange to me happens at least once or more every time i go hunting , some dang animal runs off i know is dead. happens a lot during a dove hunt, a lot of em dead doves flies off like they ain't.
david
:D You think they'd known better than to do that.....

·
36,633 Posts
I know a guy that shot a raven (this is BAD, I don't approve) dead square in the chest with a cb long and bird flew away.

In my teen age days I climbed a mountain outside of California City (Thing sits by itself and looks like a huge haystack to the east of town. Those of you familar with the area will know what I mean). Any way, a raven was circleing the mountain top watching me and the mountain top at almost level to me. I just could not resist so I shot him with my Marlin bolt action. I was CERTAIN I hit him but he just kept glideing around the hill about another half turn till there was a rock outcropping in his way. YUP, glided right into the rock. Bullet went right through his head and he just locked into whatever his last position was.

These days it is highly illegal to shoot Ravens and I believe this to be a good law. They do far more good than bad and are very interesting critters. Very intelligent they can be taught to talk like a parrot. Another interesting thing about them is they mate for life.

Once I watched for over 15 min as two of them tried to steal a rabbit just killed by a young golden eagle. It was so funny. One would run in and with wings twitching and him yelling would keep the young eagle occupied as the other would try to sneak in from beind and steal the bunny. My ex and I were no more than 25 yds away behind a mound of sand and rock a road crew had plowed up. One of those really special moments in life. Finally the ravens gave the young eagle just enough room and with bunny in one claw he ran three or four steps and got airborn. The raven stood there squacking at each other like they were having a domestic disagreement over who let the eagle get away with the bunny. Really great fun. This happened in the foothills of Mt Whitney, the highest mountain in the 48 states.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I believe him. I shot a bird dead through with a .22WMR and I watched it fly up and back, then down to a stream. By the time I got over the fence to the stream it was stone cold dead and pinned against a stick by the current.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I belive him 100%. I've shot a crow with an RWS 34 and hit it square in the chest only to watch it fly away sans some feathers. The other night while frog hunting I shot a trash bird (illegal bird but pure trash, fish farmers can guess) with my .22 and hit it good with Federal 724 load. It knocked it off the tree into water where it dove on me until I got a head shot to end the job. If the bullet doesn't open up, it can pass right through no problem and miss vitals.

I'm 27 and have been bird hunting since I was 8. I've seen some ducks and dove act like they weren't hit only to just crumble in mid air. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read somewhere, (cant remember where though) that crow feathers correctly layered can be used to make a light weight, low level protection bodyarmour, this + their aerodynamic bodies (the angles giving the same effect as tank armour (causing rounds to bounce off)) may allow for some flukey survival odds?

Matt

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes it happens. I've seen several fly a suprising distance when shot side to side and what I would call perfect placement with both a rimfire and small centerfire with bullets than wouldn't or didn't open. Never had one fly when struck front to back. I have shot them where they sat on a limb only to see them begin flying until they flew into the ground, they are dead and just don't know it.

A sure sign of a heart shot on some critters is a mad dash on impact. May be what happens to some crows.

When calling them into a shotgun I've found some that I thought I'd missed laying dead when leaving the stand. They have alot of wing surface for their body size and can glide a pretty fair ways.

·
Registered
230 Posts
completely true

I was duck hunting on a small pond once and about 8 ducks flew in. I knocked two down with three shots. Then the strangest thing happened. the remaining ducks regathered out of shooting range and began to fly in a large orbit around me. The two dead ducks flew back into the front of the V. When the two ducks finally lost the ghost they began to plummit. The whole flock followed them straight into the ground killing every one of them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
ccgos said:
Them ducks landed at the end of a rainbow, and squashed a leprechaun. I went home with a bag of birds and a pot of gold that day.
:t :D Do you have any proof of this? Like the pot the gold was in or the leprechauns hat at least? Post a pic if you do...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.