Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sellers not Responding to Purchasers

1262 14
Everyone: I have tried to purchase a 12/15 from the various sellers and I am not receiving any cooperation at all from the sellers. Most of them apparently want only to be order-takers without any customer service at all. I have tried John Appleton, MTguns, Thad Scott, and others asking about photos, condition and pricing structure.
I have had no cooperation at all in fact I have had to call each one to receive some sort of lame excuse.....read that LIES as to why I get the blow-off when inquiring about the rifles. Has anyone else received this kind of treatment??
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
purchased 12/15

I recently bought a 12/15 from MT and am very happy with the transaction.
I was interested in good metal and bore, wood was not an issue since I planed to restock it. the one I got shoots 1/2 t03/4" at 50 yards with the iron sights and I decided to just clean up the wood and leave it that way It looks good. I paid $365 with shipping. the entire transaction was done via email.

Don S

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have bought several BSA's from John Appleton and never had a problem. Don't try to get him to respond to an e-mail. Talk to him on the phone. He has always been a pleasure to deal with and the rifles always equal to or better then described.

T

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have dealt with John Appleton with no trouble. Talked with MT twice and e-mailed a couple of times but just felt he just was'nt interested .Wont try again.Bought from Martini Gallery in Texas with no problems.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Martini's

I've dealt with John Appleton on close to a half dozen BSA rifles sight unseen and have met him in person (a 700 mile trip for me but I planned a vacation in the area). A nicer guy is hard to find and honest to a fault. Best chance is to call him Tuesday or Wednesday when his shop is closed to the public but he is doing mail orders. He is a one man shop so be patient. I just got my order of parts from him but it took him almost 3 months to find what I wanted. I talked to him last week and he has a few International models and some Model 15's but not much in anything else martini. He was digging into some barreled actions to see what he had left in small frame guns.

No personal experience with MT or Scott

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
John Appleton is not a computer type guy, so you are not likely to get pictures from him. You tell him what you want, he will send it to you. If you don't like it send it back to him. If you have to shop and kick tires, go to his shop. John is an old school gun dealer, not a cyber shop. John does not store these as whole guns. When he ships them they are broken down. The stocks are mailed, the barreled actions are air freighted in. This keeps the weight and cost down. I also believe he is running low on stock.

My understanding is that Thad Scott is grieviously ill and may not even be conducting business.

Keep in mind there are no new 12/15's these are all old used , often well used guns. Pristine is not usually the word associated with these guns. You buy one you may need to do extensive refinishing. John Appleton is having some refurbished and retocked.

I would do business with John before anyone else even though it will cost me more to get a gun shipped from him, as all the other are closer to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just tried the usual suspects again. No luck at all. I am getting pissed. The holiday is over. Who is Martini Gallery??? I did a search and the closest I found is a photo gallery or a ******* bar in Houston.
Martini Gallery is the creation of Randy Davis. He started it back in the 1990s and was one of the earliest repositories of Martini information.

I've traded Martinis and parts with Randy for a long time. A real gentleman, for sure. Several of my Martinis are shown on the Gallery. Even though it's not currently being maintained .......... Randy is a busy guy and likely moving on to other interests .......... it's still a place to see some nice custom Martinis and pick up some info.

BTW, Randy is an engineer and when I dealt with him regularly several years ago, he was quite busy. However, I have corresponded with him in the last two years.

HTH.

/Emil

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mac Tilton

Just tried the usual suspects again. No luck at all. I am getting pissed. The holiday is over. Who is Martini Gallery??? I did a search and the closest I found is a photo gallery or a ******* bar in Houston.
Mac Tilton is a great person to do business with. I haven't spoken with him for awhile, but I know his wife was very ill and required a lot of his time and attention. Email him and he will get back. He probably has the biggest inventory of smallbore target rifles in the country and has always been very fair on prices and accurate on descriptions.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mac Tilton is a great person to do business with. I haven't spoken with him for awhile, but I know his wife was very ill and required a lot of his time and attention. Email him and he will get back. He probably has the biggest inventory of smallbore target rifles in the country and has always been very fair on prices and accurate on descriptions.
I have just received my 12/15 from MT Guns. It was a good purchase. I called Mac again and told him my frustration. I had been banging the doors of John Appleton but he is out of 12/15 s at this time.
Once I got hold of the business manager, Bruce Duncan, the sale was smooth. I received some photos, chose the rifle and received an on-line invoice. Once paid I received an on-line 'paid' invoice and the rifle arrived in a week.
I am refinishing the stock and forearm now and might go to my gunsmith and use a few of his stock making tools.
I have now a better understanding of how their business work and how to relate to these dealers. Hats off to "MT Guns" BT

·
Registered
21 Posts
A word about Thad Scott; some time ago I ordered one from him advertised as "mint bore".

It may have been..........except for the bullet lodged in the barrel and the rust!!
At that time he was mentioned quite often on one of the Martini forums, usually in a negative manner.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have just received my 12/15 from MT Guns. It was a good purchase. I called Mac again and told him my frustration. I had been banging the doors of John Appleton but he is out of 12/15 s at this time.
Once I got hold of the business manager, Bruce Duncan, the sale was smooth. I received some photos, chose the rifle and received an on-line invoice. Once paid I received an on-line 'paid' invoice and the rifle arrived in a week.
I am refinishing the stock and forearm now and might go to my gunsmith and use a few of his stock making tools.
I have now a better understanding of how their business work and how to relate to these dealers. Hats off to "MT Guns" BT
I have just take the rifle to the range and run some standard velocity rnds through it. Set up a 50 ft target at 75 ft and once I got used to the sight adjustments I was keeping them in the 9 and 10 ring. I will see if I can post some photos. BT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.