Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Second takedown screw

2148 30
Hi!

- i have a deluxe 10/22 rifle (no mods) that very often makes "flyers" well outside of the group.

I would really need one of those extra takedown screws as the action seems NOT to be properly seated in the stock.

Need instructions on how to make this one, or do do guys have any other ideas to make a proper seating?

/Marcus
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Screw Bottoming

whoppi,

........as the action seems NOT to be properly seated in the stock.
The first thing to check is to see if your "take-down-screw" [B-65] is bottoming* in the tapped hole at the forward end of your receiver...! ! :(

[ * Bottoming: the screw hits the barrel before stock is secure. This will show as a 'bright spot' on the bottom of the barrel, as viewed through the tapped hole. ]

· Registered
96 Posts
second screw

a second action screw is simple i learned about it on here.ill find it for ya it is in the 10/22 action section somewhere.i did it yesterday.basically you tap into the back of the receiver a 10-32 thread and screw in a machined sling swivel that you also tap through with a 10-32 thread drill a hole in your stock right behind the trigger group and voila bolt the beast together and your done.theres a little more to it but nothing you cant figure out.i did and i have very little skills with hand tools.i built a bird house in shop class in high school and the housing department condemed it unsafe for habitation.so if i can do it so can you.later bently

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: second screw

bentley said:
a second action screw is simple i learned about it on here.ill find it for ya it is in the 10/22 action section somewhere.i did it yesterday.basically you tap into the back of the receiver a 10-32 thread and screw in a machined sling swivel that you also tap through with a 10-32 thread drill a hole in your stock right behind the trigger group and voila bolt the beast together and your done.theres a little more to it but nothing you cant figure out.i did and i have very little skills with hand tools.i built a bird house in shop class in high school and the housing department condemed it unsafe for habitation.so if i can do it so can you.later bently
Hi!

do you have a picture of your work? would be really nice to see!

/Marcus

· Registered
96 Posts
pics

i do have pics however im not a member so i cant post.i do have a friend in town who is a member so i might be able to go over to his house and have him post for me. if not click on the link i sent above there are some pics of the receiver w/the swivel installed and threaded.do you look at those yet?it makes the idea of free floating the barrel a whole lot stiffer.you dont get the teter toter effect.i see if i can get these pics for ya be patient with me i might not be able to see my buddy till tuesday.thanx Bently.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: pics

bentley said:
i do have pics however im not a member so i cant post.i do have a friend in town who is a member so i might be able to go over to his house and have him post for me. if not click on the link i sent above there are some pics of the receiver w/the swivel installed and threaded.do you look at those yet?it makes the idea of free floating the barrel a whole lot stiffer.you dont get the teter toter effect.i see if i can get these pics for ya be patient with me i might not be able to see my buddy till tuesday.thanx Bently.
Sorry i can't see that picture!
perhaps one need to be a memer?..........but if you would upload em to my ftp.

upload to my ftp just "drag n drop" ftp://Public:[email protected]

/Marcus

· Registered
260 Posts
Thanks BigMike,

My screw was bottoming. Instead of a shiny spot there where two marks just inside the thread from the bottom of the screw. I took off a bit of metal on the end of the screw ~1/16", tightened it down, and it is shooting a much better now, even in 30 mph crosswind. This has been very frustrating for me. I thought I would bump this back to the top in case someone else missed it. I'm waiting for the wind to stop, but I can see the gun is doing so much better already. It bothers me that Ruger is putting out such stuff. I have an MKII Gov stainless pistol that is a little tack driver and about 15 years old. They made them better back then.

Any comments on whether the second screw performs better or as good as a glass job? Now that I have found my major problem it is time to do some more tweaking. If anyone has more links on this I would appreciate to hear them.

Wallmart special 10/22, stainless with a class action stock. :)

· Registered
1,481 Posts
hey bent,
glad to hear you completed the mod! a lot of ppl are still PMing me about it so i might post a bunch of pics again and include the instructions w/it. ive been busy w/work and havent even been able to shoot and test my dual lug 10/22 :(

at any rate, it is a fairly easy mod but i think a second lug should be standard from the factory for those who dont have the right tools. then, they can have the opportunity to shoot an accurate H-barrel 10/22 straight out of the box w/o the fuss. o well, gives us tinkers sumthin to do :D
god bless

· Registered
96 Posts
rfgimp

thanx buddy i thought is was fairly easy i hope you post pics im not a member so i cant.i am friends with redtip17 and hes a member so i might get him to post some for me.i have some good pics. the only hard part for me was not having a drill press i had to drill the hole in the receiver by hand.if you look at my stud in the reciever it looks straight but its slightly off.but it made no diff.my gun has the gm stinger barrel 18inch blued fluted and with no wind will make some real nice one hole groups at 50yrds sometimes.as you know stingers are not the most accurate 22rnd.i thought the best part was the threads on my swivel stud were 10-32 so i tapped a hole 10-32 and then the same tap went right through the swivel hole w/out having to be drilled or reamed.the hole was the right diameter allready.i do have a question for ya though did you use a allen head bolt?i cannot find a 10-32 allen head anywhere.and also i want to use an allen head bolt for the front lug what size and thread do i need?thanx again for the help.Bently

· Registered
1,481 Posts
good luck!

ummm....you might check out your local hobby store for 10/32 thread allen head bolts. i have a specialty fastener store here in san diego called "ABBABA" that has odd size stuff like this. if you have one similar in yer neck o the woods. you might give em a try too. what i used was the stock ruger take down screw. yes, i did have to ream out the hole a bit in the rear lug but there was still enough meat left on the outside edge so that it wasnt a problem. this also allowed me the standard useage of the 2nd factory escucheon where you dont have to unscrew the the takedown screw all the way....you just leave the screw hanging in the stock. i lose things very easily and so this is ideal for me LOL! btw, i forgot the thread size of the stock takedown screw. it is larger than 10/32 for sure. all the info will be provided when i post the pics and instructions, however. i may do this later tonight in fact.
take it easy

· Registered
1,481 Posts
weaponkraft

btw bent, if you cant find and 10/32 allen head screws, you always have the option of snagging some of "weaponkrafts" allen head takedown screws. youll have to do some reaming and re-threading of course if you take this route :)

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief Says //; Yes , ya need a secondary URL site with uplink capabilities.
You know , Like Club-photo , or Imagehost.

Best cure yet fer first shot or ocassional fliers is to pin (the firing pin) in the chanel. This eliminates the firing pin jump before it strikes the rim.
CD.

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Firing Pin Jump

Chief,
Hadn't thought about doing the pinning job till I saw your post and pix recently. I'm sending bolts off to Randy starting tomorrow to have them all pinned, as well as the other work he does.
Thanx,
Don

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.