Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, recently acquired a J.C. HIGGINS - Model 10313 - 22Cal (Sears Roebuck and Company - S - L - LR) and I'm having an issue with it. When the bolt is closed too roughly - the firing pin drops. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this situation? Feel rather uncomfortable using it until I can have this resolved.

Also, does anyone know the years this rifle was produced (1937-1940)?

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Did you clean the trigger assembly? Either something is gunked up or worn to cause the sear to trip like that. Could also be a weak spring in the trigger but not likely. A good cleaning and a close physical inspection is in order. My 81 has always had a trigger break on the heavier side. My Sears 43/ Marlin 81 DL is from 1963.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you clean the trigger assembly? Either something is gunked up or worn to cause the sear to trip like that. Could also be a weak spring in the trigger but not likely. A good cleaning and a close physical inspection is in order. My 81 has always had a trigger break on the heavier side. My Sears 43/ Marlin 81 DL is from 1963.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I've taken apart the trigger and bolt assembly and given them a thorough cleaning. I've noticed that if I slightly push on the trigger from behind, it prevents the firing pin from dropping when closed with force. Is this indication of a bad trigger spring, if so, which spring would I need to replace?

I've also attached a picture of the trigger assembly, the trigger/sear surface is a lot little rough but appears to be fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I would think the trigger return spring is the culprit, the sear and trigger mating surfaces look good in the pic. Also, when you replace it, take a look at the split post the trigger is located in. There should be just enough clearance for the trigger to pivot smoothly, if it's wider you can carefully squeeze the post ears a little to tighten it up. The sear lever that holds the bolt striker in the cocked position is pushed back up by its spring when the bolt is cycled. As long as it cocks OK that spring is OK. The sear mating surfaces on mine are rough as well,
Pic showing the spring and the trigger out of the post:
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part Household hardware

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think the trigger return spring is the culprit, the sear and trigger mating surfaces look good in the pic. Also, when you replace it, take a look at the split post the trigger is located in. There should be just enough clearance for the trigger to pivot smoothly, if it's wider you can carefully squeeze the post ears a little to tighten it up. The sear lever that holds the bolt striker in the cocked position is pushed back up by its spring when the bolt is cycled. As long as it cocks OK that spring is OK. The sear mating surfaces on mine are rough as well,
View attachment 321056
So I'm struggling to identify the spring, do you know which number it is from this diagram? Marlin/Glenfield Model 81 Parts | Numrich Gun Parts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 321056
I've finally received the new springs, and the trigger spring from Numrich seems to be for a different model. Is this trigger spring for the one-piece trigger model?

Numrich Trigger Spring (Top) / Original (Bottom)
Numrich Sear Spring (Top) / Original (Bottom)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
How did you date yours? Mine is a 43-103-2850, and I wasn't born until 77 so I wasn't around when it was purchased.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Your trigger assy. looks very similar to my Marlin 881 and the oem trigger return spring is short like the bottom one on your pic. I ordered a Mcarbo spring for mine and it safely lightened up the pull weight. You may consider contacting them and inquire on this item Marlin 917V / Marlin 925 Trigger Spring Kit if it would fit, that's the one my 881 took on this trigger assy:
Flash photography Bicycle part Tints and shades Household hardware Wood

I have since put an even lighter trigger return spring in it and it still passes bump fire tests.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just now saw your post, and honestly don't know. All I can suggest is to try them and see what the result is. Good luck.
The sear spring seems fine, however the trigger spring is a tad too long and stiff
Your trigger assy. looks very similar to my Marlin 881 and the oem trigger return spring is short like the bottom one on your pic. I ordered a Mcarbo spring for mine and it safely lightened up the pull weight. You may consider contacting them and inquire on this item Marlin 917V / Marlin 925 Trigger Spring Kit if it would fit, that's the one my 881 took on this trigger assy:
View attachment 322841
I have since put an even lighter trigger return spring in it and it still passes bump fire tests.
That looks almost identical aside from the safety. I'll give it a go, thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts