Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! Im as new here as my savage is new to me. Just got it last night.
I need some advice on a good scope. I have looked around some and wondered if anyone knows/has the scope built by BSA Sweet .17?
This looks like a good deal for a 3-12x40mm.
Is this enough scope for this gun?
Would a 6-24 be better for shooting out to 200yrd's?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
The scope depends a lot on you and what you intend to shoot. When it comes to optics do yourself a favor and buy the best you can afford. When it comes to the power, you need to decide what you want to shoot and at what distance you will be shooting at. If you plan on doing some long range shooting, or if you plan on shooting at very small animals or targets you might want to concider a little more then 12X. Although unless your going to do some serious target shooting I dont imagin you'll need to go up to 24X. Any good 3-12, 4-16 should cover most hunting and average target shooting. If you want to get out a little farther you might check out a 6-18. Thats what I use on mine. And because its a rimfire, (I assume it is a rimfire) I would stick with an adjustable objective, it will help you with the close range shots.

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
recoil,

while the sweet 17's are okay, get something to get your eyes out to 200 yds. at least a 24x IMO, depending on how good your eyes are. i have scopes that will go up to 24x, but at 100 yds, will go down to 14x. which most of the times is good for me. your needs may vary.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is this primarily going to be a hunting rifle or a paper puncher?

For a hunting rifle, 12-14x is more than plenty for PD's, g-hods and whatnot out to farther than the gun will shoot. For punching paper I usually like to go up in power to reduce eye strain, so I'd recommend something with a 20-24x magnification on the high end.

In regards to the BSA Sweet 17's.....avoid them like the plague! The scope you're looking at is the very same one I purchased for my 93R17 when I first got it, and boy was that a waste of money. I've seen clearer glass looking through a shower door covered in soap scum!

While I haven't seen or looked through one yet myself, Bushnell is now offering a similar setup to the Sweet 17 in their Banner 3.5-10x32mm (#71-3510). I do have two Banner 3-9x40's on my own rifles, and for the money the glass is pretty good (worlds better than BSA's IMO). They're right around $100, so it's the same pricerange as the BSA as well.

Bushnell also released an Elite 3200 4-12x40 with a ballistic reticle (#32-4124B), but their reticle isn't really set up for the 17HMR (see my review here ).

If you're willing to step up to the $200 price range, most anything will more than suffice for use on a rimfire. I currently have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 on my 17HMR, and have no problem picking off PD's at over 300yds when the wind isn't howling. I will admit though that target shooting at 200yds is a major challenge with such low magnification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, decide what you want to spend and get the best scope for your money. Despite what everyone will tell you, you DO NOT NEED A $1200 SCOPE to make you a good shot. I have used cheap scopes and I have used expensive scopes, there was not a big enough difference to me to justify one being $60 and one being $600. Sure, some may have been a little clearer, but it was nothing drastic and even the cheap Tascos I played with had a clear enough picture in low light conditions for me to shoot quite a few deer. The shooter makes the scope, the scope doesn't make the shooter.

That being said, a GREAT scope for the money is the VisionTac scopes. I have a 6-18x50 AO on my Savage and the thing will do whatever I need it to and best of all if anything goes wrong, it's covered by a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Ebay has the 4-16x50 AO VisionTac on there for about $60 shipped and in my opinion it is far better than the BSA you were thinking of buying. Go check them out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Well if you are as cheap as I am then you may want to think about the same scope I use on my Marlin 917VS ..... now the place I got mine from is out of them (Natchezss) but here is what it looks like. Its a 8X32X44 w/AO and 1/8 moa target dot reticle. Works pretty good one my gun.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Take A Look At Swift

instruments, they're inexpensive and sturdy. I have four of them as well as a couple of Leupolds and a very expensive Bausch & Lomb. All work well. The previous post that said the shooter makes the scope not vice-versa is 100% correct. That said, if you're going to do serious target shooting, you'll need a scope that had parallax adjustments unless you shoot at only one distance.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
RICOCHET said:
DAVE,

what kind of scope is that ?? got my 44 mag from natchez and they are good to deal with.

thanks.
That is the china built Tasco I decided to try. It has actually worked well so far, it has keep a zero, is clear even at 32X and I do like the 1/8 MOA dot on fine crosshairs. Buying new Tasco I do consider a risk, not like the old Japanese buiilt scopes, but so far this one has done well.

Rick_687,

I tend to agree about the Swift scopes, had one years back but none lately. It was a nice scope but they don't offer anything with a target dot on fine crooshairs which is my choice for a target scope, if they did they would have me buying Swift again.

Dave Z.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.