Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading post on this forum for sometime now and decided
to join as there is good information here. I have a question hopefully
someone will share their knowledge on.
I have been shooting rifles most of my life, not in any contest
other than just for the fun of it. Centerfire and rimfire. Love to shoot
although sometimes get frustrated with performance.
I have a cz super exclusive and the thing will shoot three rounds
virtually in the same hole at twenty five yards then will change its
poi and shoot three to five rounds in one hole again but in a different
location on the bull but with the same sight picture in the scope.
The same thing happens with the next group. Scope is a BSA mildot
8x32. with millet medium rings. Ammo wolf target, american eagle 38
grain, winchester power points. Wolf target shoots the best groups
most consistent. You do not know when you start to shoot the first group
where your poi is going to be. We`re not talking much off but in bullseye
center shooting it causes some aggravation.
Barrel is free floated to barrel lug, tried different torque settings
on the action and barrel lug screw. Groups are approx .280 to.375 at
25 yards and .450 to .800 at fifty yards. Am satisfied with groups but
not with change in poi. What is best way to determine if it is me the
scope or the rifle? Have checked scope mounts for tightness and slippage
seems okay. Has the Brookes trigger kit. Shoot from bench with sandbags.
Am I expecting too much from this rig?
Info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
excuse my crappy typing cuz ive been drinkin moonshine all night, but if you think the problem is you, hten try passing off the rifle to someone else who yyou think is equally qualified. if theyr shootin the same as u then its not you, its the gunnn

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Try dryfiring (put an empty shell in the chamber if you like) while looking through the scope against your regular target. See if the reticle "jumps" at the striker impact. Some times the spring controlling the reticle is not strong enough and the thing will shift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe paralax error with the scope? Does it have an adjustable objective so you can dial the error out?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Deeeeeeeeeerunk

Try drinkin moonshine tthenn goo shhooottiinngg!!!! thaat Howw bUtCherr ddo itt! :1t

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
All of the above. :yeahthat: Do the easy thing first and swap scopes. Check your action screws also.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have used four CZs over the years and I find that you can repeatedly remove and reinstall a mounted scope without any change of zero whatsoever. You need a new scope.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If it's not the BSA, I'll eat my hat. I've had a few of them, (on trades) and I've known several friends who've bought them, and every single one of them had some sort of problem. I know it sounds like I'm making this up, but I'm not. I work and hang out at a local gun shop part of the time and BSA is FAR AND AWAY the most returned scope they sell. Last year they had probably 30 BSA's returned. They're very good about replacing them in short order. I guess it's because they get so much practice at it.

I've read of people who've not had problems with them, and I keep thinking they just haven't had them long enough. My next door neighbor had a Platinum one that he was always bragging about, that it just kept holding up and shooting well, and when it was almost exactly a year old, it stopped holding zero. He didn't attribute it to the scope until the crosshairs came loose and canted.

I bet if you put a different scope on that rifle you'll notice a huge improvement in poi stability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one BSA scope and that was one too many. Find a different scope.

Rimfires are very picky when it comes to holding the rifle exactly the same for each shot. A small change in wrist pressure or how tight or loose the rifle is in the bags or against your shoulder will make a big difference.

If you want to see how well your rifle can shoot try some very good match ammo like Lapua Midas L or Midas M, RWS R-50 or Ely EPS, but for the most part you can shoot Wolf match extra and and know that any big fliers are not the fault of the ammo.

Ernie

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If the gun is shooting tightly but just changes its impact point, I suspect you do not have a terribly big problem. Couple of things to check:
Take a piece of black electrical tape and using a fired case, tap a hole through it. Then take the tape and mask over the middle of your eyepiece lens (not actually touching the glass.) This will make you look through the hole in the tape to see the crosshairs center, eliminating parallax error.
Shoot a few groups this way. Pay attention to cheek and grip pressure, essentially any contact points on the rifle. If she's on bags, try and return it to the same resting point on each shot. See if this has an effect.
Definately let someone of known ability try a few groups to see what they can do.
Is your ammo or rifle in the sun? Excessive heat or cold is not good for best accuracy (in either ammo or the gun).
Heat can do funny things to POI, especially on a rifle not free floated (a truely free floated gun has no contact between barrel and stock).
With your model you may notice different POI each trip to the range, depending on atmospheric pressure and humidity. Most rifles with stock contact have a "cold shot" ie. the first round strikes in a different place from the rest of the group. Shooting several rounds at a sighter bull, then moving over to you "group" or "score" bull will usually tighten things up. Just remember to maintain the same cadence to your shots. If you need to pause, go back to the sighters to rewarm the bore to a stable point.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Don't waste any more time jacking with the BSA. Change your scope right away. What you describe sounds like a broken scope.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
independent, obx22 always gives intelligent advice. If you end up buying shopping for a new scope and don't want to spend more than $200 for a good one, then try the Swifts listed at www.eabco.com. My two 6-18X44 Swifts have given me no grief at all.

Danny

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fellas for the tips.
I have had my shooting buddies shoot this rifle and they encountered the same
thing. obx22 the trick with the tape I am going to try as soon as possible. On the
position of the rifle and the grip I try to do the exact same thing with every round
fired.
I am new to serious rimfire shooting,some of the most fun I have ever had.
Thanks again to all of you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.