Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just wondering what is the most popular sized scope you guys have mounted on your 22lr`s. i recently fitted a bushnell banner 3-9-50 on my 511.i have`nt had a chance to zero yet,i`m not fussed on the multi x reticule but the optics seem pretty good. what do you guys use?thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
I prefer the smaller sized scopes for both looks & performance on a 22. I'm using a 2.5-7x28 Weaver and am very pleased with it! Balance is good, & light weight for ease of packing in these mountains I hunt, and 7x is more than enough for up to 75 yd shots at squirrels!

·
Registered
79 Posts
3-9x50 works for me

I have also got a 3-9x50 on my CZ style, but mine is a Leupold VX-I. The magnification is -for me at least- ample for hunting/lamping and at night it sucks in all the available light. I have a Hawke Varmint II 6-24x44 and the Leupold is infinitely better at night, although to be fair how much is the extra 6mm of light gathering on the Leupold and how much is the quality of Leupold optics I don't know.

·
Registered
332 Posts
.22 lr scopes

Every 22 rifle will benifit from a AO, because you will be shooting it from 50 ft. to 200 yrds (maybe). You will not be sorry. Check airgunexpress.com look at scopes/rifle/BSA they have a 2x7 x32 AO on sale for 50 bucks and the optics are great, how much do I like it - I have 10 and hope to get them on all my 22 rifles. :D Alan

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I’ll take the other side here and say that I prefer a 6.5-20x on my .22’s. I am sold on the Leupold VX111 EFR. It has plenty of power for field work and an acceptable if not a little light top end for range work. Also a great air rifle scope as it parallaxes down below 10 meters. I also use them on my small caliber centerfire varmint rifles. I like looking at the same reticule on all my rifles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried a simmons 6.5-20-50 ao but the scope was huge. great scope but too long for good head position.it turned out when i got the banner home it was longer.i like the point and shoot idea without having to fiddle.i never shoot beyond 100 ms anyhow.maybe buy a hmr to set the simmons on in the future

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I will shoot out to 100 yards if I have a good shot. The targets here are small in the field and the extra magnification really helps if you only have a partial target to look at. The smaller it is, the more important the focus and that is where the paralex is handy. The eyes are getting a bit old also.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi All,

Ahhh "spbarnes" I see you also not impressed by the Hawke optics :( I brought a 3-10x44 Nite-Eye and cannot say it was one of my better moves :eek: the optics are how shall we say below par! Form this experience it will be the first and last Hawke brought. So I am still looking for a suitable scope but don't know what to get. Money is tight so may have to just carry on with the low powered scopes I have for now.

I did get a Nikko Sterling Gold Crown a few months back, it's a 4.5-14x50 AO but quite honestly the Hawke is better :mad: even sent this Nikko back to the importers who say there is nothing wrong with it but I cannot agree with that accesment as the fast focuse eye piece wobbles about in the eye bell :eek: not what one would expect on a new scope.

The search continues.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
On a couple of my rimfires I have mounted 3x9x40mm and they work good for me,now on my cz fs the 40mm would not fit without taking the rear sight out,which I did,but didn't like the looks of it.Now I have a alpine ridge muzzleloader scope in 2.5x7x33 mounted on it and it works great,the parallax is set around 75 yards so it is a little clearer that the 3x9's on my other rifles.everyone seems to find what works and what they like.:bthumb:

Neil

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Have a 5x15x40 on a Cooper, 4x12x40 on a Kimber, 4x12x40 on a CZ. and a 2x7 Redfield on a Rem 541. I've shot about as good with the 2x7 as the others at 50 yds. One inch orange dots show up good with the 7 power. Scope was free maybe that's why it works for me. To me the big scopes make a 22 top heavy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Most popular probably straight 4X

hi guys just wondering what is the most popular sized scope you guys have mounted on your 22lr`s. i recently fitted a bushnell banner 3-9-50 on my 511.i have`nt had a chance to zero yet,i`m not fussed on the multi x reticule but the optics seem pretty good. what do you guys use?thanks
I'm betting straight 4X wins as favorite in national poll; but here at RFC (We fanantics probably would pick low/med power variables.)
If Icould only have one scope, I'd pick 3-9X32 AO like the Weaver RV-9. Great for all purpose hunting and plinking and not to bulky on a rimfire.
I glad to have more than one .22 and use higher magnification variable scopes for targets and thumb tack shooting when using a benchrest.
In the long run use what works for you.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I usually mount either straight 24 power scopes (currently I'm using Leupold, Sightron, and Weaver) or a KT-15 Weaver, a V-24 Weaver, or a 16 Leupold.
The smallest scope I use is an old 10X Weaver on a Bench rest stocked Remington.
:snipersmi

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
I like a scope to fit the gun , no Hubble telescopes , thats what spotting scopes are for My two Czs HM2s have fixed pwr scopes one a old Tasco 8X
The other an old Scope Chief 10X w/AO they keep the balance of the rifle the way I like it. if your gonna be all bench shooting this is not a issue..:t --JMJ--

·
Premium Member
58,699 Posts
For hunting I prefer 4x, 2-7x or 3-9x, for combo work ie hunting/target 4-16x or 6-24x and for target 6-24 or 6.5-20. Just aren't any simple answers in life for me :D .

Gerald

·
Registered
79 Posts
Adjustable Parallax not the best for night time shooting

Ahhh "spbarnes" I see you also not impressed by the Hawke optics :( I brought a 3-10x44 Nite-Eye and cannot say it was one of my better moves :eek: the optics are how shall we say below par! Form this experience it will be the first and last Hawke brought. So I am still looking for a suitable scope but don't know what to get. Money is tight so may have to just carry on with the low powered scopes I have for now.
To be fair to it, when shooting during the day I quite like it. Unfortunately -for the scope- the vast majority of my shooting is done at night and compared to my Leupold it is left lacking as it just doesn't suck in the light as well.

The other/main problem is that although changing the magnification on either is hassle free -and optional- setting the adjustable parallax on the other hand is a pain and unless you have it set correctly the target is blurry and although there are calibrations, at night you can't see them... I suspect that on a .22 it wouldn't be such a problem as I rarely take shots beyond 50m (at night), but with my .17HMR if it feels comfortable, I'll take shots from as close as 5m or out to 150m.

In future any scope that I buy, that has any chance of being used at night won't have an adjustable parallax.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a Leupold 6.5 - 20 X 50 VXIII LRT on my .22 452 Varmint
Big scope but great for longer range shots.

This magpie was hunting for frogs at 108 yards and never knew what hit him :D

#
I just wouldn't have the confidence to take shots at that range with a lower power scope, i like to see exactly what im shooting at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.