Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range for the first time with my new 10/22 today and it seems like my rifle is shooting consistently low and to the left. Adjustment does it get closer but I am running out and at this rate, I can guarantee I'd be out of both adjustments before they went on target.

So I have some questions:

1. I am sure I must have flipped the top halves and maybe inserts while degreasing the Burris Signature Zee Medium rings. The inserts seem to be all identical so I don't think this matters. Correct me if I am wrong. But, I have read that you cannot flip the tops. With that said, is there anyway to determine what the original orientation was?

2. How do I lap the bottom rings? Do I need to lap the upper rings as well? I read an article where a wooden 1 inch dowel was used with "lapping compound". Is this common? Can I just get it at Home Depot?

3. Is it necessary to lap if I have the inserts?

4. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ring Mods

Rings are lapped with a Brass rod and lapping compound. If you have Burris Signature rings you can buy eccentric (offset) inserts that will slant your scope in the proper direction. If not then I use a piece of a plastic milk bottle under the scope on the rear ring to give me enough adjustment range to go from 25 to 100yds on my .22s

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are truly using the"Signature" Zee

rings with the synthetic inserts, shimming and lapping are not even necessary considerations. Just get a "complete set" (20,10,5) of the Burris eccentric inserts, and by installing and rotating the proper inserts, you can bring the scope up and left, down and right, or any darn place you want. It's much easier than the alternative. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am glad I don't have to waste time lapping. I am ordering the $10 set from Midway right now.

Now this may sound like a dumb question..but if my rifle always shoots low and to the left, I should probably put a fatter insert in the rear ring so that the scope angles down, correct?

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
The eccentric inserts come in sets. You will get an assortment of three sets with your order. each set has a "+" insert and a "-" insert. So, you can put the "fat", or "+" insert on the bottom of the rear ring or the top of the front ring. to solve your problem.Just be sure to keep the sets together. They are clearly marked. Good luck. Hope your problem is solved with the eccentric inserts - mine was, on my 10/22T.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Here's the way the inserts work....

The offset inserts (+/- .020, .010, .005) come in pairs and are installed that way. To move the point of impact you mount the inserts in one or both rings. Let's say your rifle shoots low and to the left. You might start with a +.020 (thicker half) insert on the bottom rear with the thinner -.020 on top.

This has the same effect as moving the rear sight up on an iron sighted gun. It raises the rear, tilting the front of the scope down, raising the muzzle up in relation to the axis of the scope. By rotating the offset inserts in the rear ring, you can also move the point of impact up-or-down, right-or-left. Further adjustments can be made by also putting the +/- .005, or .010 inserts the front ring and rotating them, so significant point of impact changes can be made without resorting to using the scope's internals except for fine adjustments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.