Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a 10/22 and the next step is a scope, I am looking for recommendation on a used scope(on a budget) and what a decent price would be. thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
jhf tell us specificly what will you be using you 10/22 for (targets/plinking/rabbit hunting/etc) and we can give you some ideas. A budget for a used scope could be $10 -or- $1000.

John

·
Registered
125 Posts
Price being a factor I would look at BSA scopes. I wouldnt trust one on a recoiling rifle but I have put a few on rimfires and they have all worked very well. you can get a 6x18 for about $90. they hold zero, are pretty clear and I have never had one give me any problems. If you want a little higher end stuff look at Swift, Muehler, or Sightron all very good scopes that wont kill you finacially. good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am building this 10/22 for target, current found a gm barrel and boyd blaster stock. I would be looking to spend 50 - 150 depending on the deal for the scope, thanks for asking. My approach is to get something together that will do well and upgrade from there
jhf

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
That is exactly how i started.

I have a Simmons 44MAG 6.5X20X44 w/sunshades (2) that you can purchase from me reasonably, if you would like, just PM me, and we can "Haggle". I am upgrading, so I don't have to own the Simmons anymore, but it is without question the best scope for the money for 22lr target shooting, and plinking/hunting. I am "Into it" for 107 bucks, and have used it for about 6 months, get me close to being "Out of it", and it is yours. :t

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
BigMike said:
`

The Simmons WTC18 is a 6.5-20X 50mm AO scope.

It is HUGE with a objective bell OD of 63mm........! ! :eek:

`

BigMike
Huge it definitely is. But a powercustom base and Burris Signature Zee High rings and you will have a decent amount of clearance between the bell and barrel.

Paul

·
Registered
489 Posts
Simmons 44 Mag w/ AO

I've been considering a Simmons 44 Mag w/ AO for target shooting. I've heard good things about them and they should be within your price range ($150)

My question about the 44 Mag is... Would it be adequate if I also use it for deer hunting on my .243 Winchester??

·
Registered
63 Posts
I shot my Simmons ATV 4.5X14 AO today for the first time. A little out of focus at the edges, but I don't shoot there anyway. A great scope for $93 delivered! This is the 1st scope I have owned over 9X. I quit shooting at the dots on the target, and started shooting at the grid intersections instead. I was floored...

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I like the Taget hairs

Gimme the Target crosshairs in my 1048, and I feel at home. The Mil-Dots aren't really my cup of tea. The crosshairs in a Target 1048 are fairly thin to begin with, then get really thin in their center section, for the "X" in the center. I really like that. With 17 caliber stuff you don't have to worry too much about hold over because the trajectory is so flat. If I wanted to shoot 22lr or MAG, the Mil-Dot would come in handy. It's all a compromise, unless you have a hundred rifles, like CD.

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
jhf said:
what would be the meaning of the difference of a 6.5x20 and a 6x24?
Those numbers represent the relative magnification range... or variable power in a scope. From 6.5 to 20 times (X) magnification.

So for instance if you have a 6-24X50, that is variable magnification from 6 times to 24 times with an objective bell (the end away from your eye) of 50mm. AO refers to adjustable objective and is a desirable option... it allows you to focus it more exactly on any specific range for a clear sight picture.

In general - this is very general - the higher the magnification, the darker the image will appear. Not that it is dark, just that less light can transmit through the optics. A larger objective will always allow more light in (presuming all other factors are the same) than a smaller one.

But bigger scopes are also usually heavier and higher magnification typically has a much more critical eye relief, meaning you have to have your eye in juuuust the right place to see through it.

Options, options, options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am thrilled with the fit and finish of my new Sightron and the clarity is amazing. I am also very satisfied with the Nikon 4 powers that I have on my 2 other 10/22's if you aren't looking for an AO scope. They are a great bang for the buck IMHO. Good luck! I have bought most of them on Gunbroker.com at very good deals BTW :D .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.